Thread: Les Miserables?

Les Miserables?

Although I started to read this book, Les Miserables some time ago and even started a discussion about the book, I had to lay the book down due to some issues going on domestically. However, I am in a position now to re-start the book as well as the discussion, and I would enjoin anyone who might be interested in doing so -- join me.

When I started the discussion some time ago, I did notice (by way of correspondence with others) that there are some problems with the translations, and I would like to bring those forth to the group as well and discuss what they might mean in terms of the entire text, or in individual chapters. I currently have the copy translated by C.E. Wilbur.

This is a fascinating story! I would like others interested to join me in this endeavor!
    Why, the whole point, the real sting of it lay in the fact that continually, even in the moment of the acutest spleen, I was inwardly conscious with shame that I was not a spiteful. I am a sicker man! I might foam at the mouth, but bring me a doll to play with, bring me a cup of tea with sugar in it, and maybe I will be appeased! I might even genuinely be touched, though probably I should grind my teeth at myself afterward and lie awake at night with shame for months after. That is my way.

Fire away.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'me ne se vide ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scne VII)

Firing Away

OK. I will start this discussion tomorrow. Be sure to tune in!
    Why, the whole point, the real sting of it lay in the fact that continually, even in the moment of the acutest spleen, I was inwardly conscious with shame that I was not a spiteful. I am a sicker man! I might foam at the mouth, but bring me a doll to play with, bring me a cup of tea with sugar in it, and maybe I will be appeased! I might even genuinely be touched, though probably I should grind my teeth at myself afterward and lie awake at night with shame for months after. That is my way.

I finally started reading this, so I am in too!

I am reading the Signet Classics paperback and am almost at page 300.

Can't wait to discuss!