Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Disturbing books.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson, premier gonzo journalist. Truely bizzare, but in the best possible sense of the word. And if anyone mentions that movie with Johnnie Depp, well I just hope it doesn't happen as that film was a crime against fiction [actually, y'now I have a horrible suspicion it was true] and nature.
    "Man, of all the animals, is probably the only one to regard himself as a great delicacy".
    Jacques Yves Cousteau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathycf View Post
    Hmmm. I like some of Alice Hoffman's work but her novel Here on Earth, is just weird. I didn't like it at all. It is a modern, "sexed up" version of Wuthering Heights.
    That reminds me Kathy, i thought her book the Ice Queen was really weird.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut was a little weird, I read it a few years ago. Strangest characters I ever saw. :P
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

U2aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
    Leonard Cohen's Beautiful Losers. I have no idea what it was about.
    I agree with you. I had to read it for Canadian literature and I almost physically forced myself to do it. There's also this book by Raymond Queneau "Exercises in Style". He tells the same short story in 99 different ways...
    In dreams begin responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson, premier gonzo journalist. Truely bizzare, but in the best possible sense of the word. And if anyone mentions that movie with Johnnie Depp, well I just hope it doesn't happen as that film was a crime against fiction [actually, y'now I have a horrible suspicion it was true] and nature.
    @ Haven....
    no point in mentioning the bats........

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. "

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by _JadeRain_ View Post
    Like Water for Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel.

It is a story about a Mexican girl who is not allowed to get married because she is the youngest daughter and needs to take care of her aging mother. So her older sister marries her boyfriend. Each chapter begins with a recipe that somehow have strange effects on those who eat it. Fore example she cries in the wedding cake and everyone at the party becomes terrible. Her older sister ends up dying of excess gas. She finally marries the man of her dreams at the end, and the house explodes into fireworks.
    My aunt recommeneded that book! She said it was quite good.

I'd have to say the weirdest book I can think of right now was The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk. I read it recently for a book club, and no one really enjoyed it. Oh! And Steinbeck's The Red Pony. What a waste of time.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

U2aholic

It is a story about a Mexican girl who is not allowed to get married because she is the youngest daughter and needs to take care of her aging mother. So her older sister marries her boyfriend. Each chapter begins with a recipe that somehow have strange effects on those who eat it. Fore example she cries in the wedding cake and everyone at the party becomes terrible. Her older sister ends up dying of excess gas. She finally marries the man of her dreams at the end, and the house explodes into fireworks.

There was a film based on this book. I quite liked it, really. Sort of magical realism, like GG Marquez.

I never said it wasn't a good book. I said it was weird. It was surely the strangest book I ever read.
    FRANCISCO
    For this relief much thanks: 'tis bitter cold,
    And I am sick at heart.

Hamlet Act I Scene I

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyGB View Post
    @ Haven....

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. "
    Bluesky, where on earth did you get that from? Thank you. It is such a brillliant thing you have done. I haven't read this for years [never watched that movie! Gag!]. It's like Christmas coming early. I love Hunter, the premier gonzo journalist and miss him terribly after he shot himself in the face. What was going on that night?

Haven [aka Raoul Duke: Lawyer and confidante to the Gonzo journalist]: You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye.

Dr. Gonzo: I have to go.
    Raoul Duke: Go?
    Dr. Gonzo: Yes. Leave the country. Tonight.
    Raoul Duke: Calm down. You'll be straight in a few hours.
    Dr. Gonzo: No. This is serious. One more hour in this town and I'll kill somebody!

I'll PM you on GB.
    Okay just searched everywhere for a big smoochie kiss smilie - another gap in the market...
    Last edited by Haven; 06-07-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    "Man, of all the animals, is probably the only one to regard himself as a great delicacy".
    Jacques Yves Cousteau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    That reminds me Kathy, i thought her book the Ice Queen was really weird.
    Well, Hoffman often writes in this everyday magic/realism sort of a way. While most of her stuff is weird, I tend to like it. I really should have clarified earlier that I found Here on Earth to be both weird and distasteful. Sometimes weird is good. Niamh, I know you hate Wuthering Heights, but that isn't the reason why I disliked Here on Earth....I just thought it was creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyGB View Post
    @ Haven....

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I'll PM you on GB.
    Okay just searched everywhere for a big smoochie kiss smilie - another gap in the market...
    Haven, would this one do?
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Wow...didn't expect that.....LOL
    Thanks Kathy and Haven....

Quote Originally Posted by kathycf View Post

Haven, would this one do?
    Kathy, I think that we have our answer, seems like the perfect 'smoochie kiss'. Night night to you and BlueSky.
    Jacques Yves Cousteau

It's not weird, it's just beautiful. One of the loveliest books I've ever read.

Mostly, I think, I like to read weird stuff.

Anything by:
    - Haruki Murakami
    - Angela Carter

Is generally on the strange side.

Started reading A Clockwork Orange once and couldn't understand a word of it, so I guess that's the strangest book I didn't quite read.

Probably not that weird, but A Wrinkle in Time

U2aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bii View Post
    Started reading A Clockwork Orange once and couldn't understand a word of it, so I guess that's the strangest book I didn't quite read.

Hehe, I was lucky with this one, I had a glossary at the end of the book. Though it was tiring to look at the back of the book every 5 words.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast