Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Favourite silent movies

  1. #1
    ignoramus et ignorabimus Mr Endon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    305

    Favourite silent movies

    No talk about these! How now!

    My latest discovery is 'Sherlock Jr', a marvellous introduction to Buster Keaton. Among my all-time favourites are
    - 'Nosferatu': terrific horror flick, there's never been a scarier Dracula than Schreck;
    - 'The Battleship Potemkin': pure Russian propaganda, of course, but a surprisingly good film, gripping from beginning to end;
    - 'Modern Times': no one beats Chaplin. Period.

    Now I want to hear from you. Which are your favourite silent movies? And why?

  2. #2
    Exiled Pre-Raphaelite Gustavo L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belo Horizonte, Brazil
    Posts
    59
    Surrealist movie The fall of the House of Usher (directed by Jean Epstein) is my favorite. I love the way the film blends Usher's story with Poe's Oval Portrait. Photography is great too -- haunting, strange and never overcrowded with detail.

    Canadian director Guy Maddin made some interesting modern silent movies like "Dracula: pages from a virgin's diary" and "The heart of the world". The last one can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4JmeXXRmZg

    I like the fake retro style of this one. As a guy said in the comments, "If someone didn't tell me this was made in 2000, I'd swear it was made in the 20s".
    Last edited by Gustavo L.; 06-08-2009 at 12:03 PM.

  3. #3
    Ditsy Pixie Niamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marino, Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    14,243
    Blog Entries
    118
    Nosferatu and Battleship Potempkin are both amazing films.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

    "If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer


    my poems-please comment Forum Rules

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    214
    Great topic

    Napoleon - Abel Gance, dir.

    The Gold Rush - Chaplin

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,915
    Well, my number one of all-time is King Vidor's "The Big Parade". It is one of those few films that I consider to be perfect in every way.

    In fact, I wrote a blog entry on my list of favorite silent films. http://www.online-literature.com/forums/blog.php?b=8137 I go on about "The Big Parade" in it.

    Also, I am an obsessed Harold Lloyd fan.

  6. #6
    Registered User Emil Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,499
    This really is an interesting thread
    I haven't seen many silent films but having had a past interest in the cinema I know that quite a lot of the effects in silent films surpass the kind of computerised effects used in films of today in that he are closer to reality.
    I gave up on the cinema years ago when the word BLOCKBUSTER ( A publicity agent's dream ) became the staple description of films generally.
    However, as a former member of the Nationl Film Theatre , I was able to see what remains of Greed, the silent film production of one of my favourite novels McTeague by Frank Norris. The original film lasted for over 10 hours because Erich von Stroheim directed it exactly as the book was written and almost bankrupted the studio as a result. Later a number of reels were destroyed and the basic story line crammed into a more managable two and a half hours. It remains one of my favourite silent films along with Battleship Potemkin and All quiet on the Western Front.

  7. #7
    Mad Hatter Mark F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    675
    top ten, one film per director.

    Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) F. W. Murnau
    Strike (1925) S. M. Eisenstein
    The Cameraman (1928) E. Sedgwick & Buster Keaton
    Metropolis (1927) F. Lang
    Pandora's Box (1929) G. W. Pabst
    L'Age d'or (1930) Luis Bunuel
    The Gold Rush (1925) C. Chaplin
    Cowards Bend the Knee (2003) G. Maddin
    Intolerance (1916) D. W. Griffith
    A Story of Floating Weeds (1934) Yasujiro Ozu

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    However, as a former member of the Nationl Film Theatre , I was able to see what remains of Greed, the silent film production of one of my favourite novels McTeague by Frank Norris. The original film lasted for over 10 hours because Erich von Stroheim directed it exactly as the book was written and almost bankrupted the studio as a result. Later a number of reels were destroyed and the basic story line crammed into a more managable two and a half hours. It remains one of my favourite silent films along with Battleship Potemkin and All quiet on the Western Front.
    There's a four hour version available now, you should manage to find a torrent. I haven't seen it yet but it looks great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Endon View Post
    - 'Nosferatu': terrific horror flick, there's never been a scarier Dracula than Schreck;
    Have you seen the Werner Herzog remake with Klaus Kinski as Dracula?
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

  8. #8
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  9. #9
    ignoramus et ignorabimus Mr Endon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    305
    (don't you find it frustrating to have to write a lenghty post twice? come on, I have things to do!)

    Thanks for sharing, everyone! Will try and track down your recommendations. Keep 'em coming! The Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/index.php) has all the ones I mentioned, plus 'Intolerance' and 'Gold Rush'. As for the others, will try my luck at the local library.

    Brian, 'Greed' seems to be quite the ambitious enterprise. Alas, my time constraints and attention span don't allow me to watch a 10-hour movie, if I can I'll give the 4-hour version a go though.

    Like the idea of anachronistic silent films, Scheherazade and Gustavo, they're now on my list as well.

    Mark F., that's a great list you compiled there. From it I've only seen 'Gold Rush' and 'Metropolis' (which I own; by the way, have you seen Metropolis's newly-discovered bit of film?), but half of it was already on my 100-movies-to-watch-this-year list. I guess I'll have to add the others.

    And I've only seen excerpts of Herzog's 'Nosferatu'. Kinski was fantastic in 'Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes', and I'm sure he did a great take on Dracula, but it's very hard to top Schreck's rodent Otherness!


    Keaton craze right now, will be moving on to Murnau after that. Anyone seen 'Frau im Mond' (Woman in the Moon)? Apparently that's where the NASA countdown comes from. I've been told it's excellent by very reliable sources, but find the running time a bit daunting, considering the free time I'll have this week. Care to give me a push?

  10. #10
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Endon View Post
    Like the idea of anachronistic silent films, Scheherazade and Gustavo, they're now on my list as well.
    No idea what you have just said but give it a try, anyway!

    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    182
    My favourite silent movie is Urban Symphony from 1927. Here it is.
    Last edited by amarna; 06-09-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: sudden conversion

  12. #12
    Mad Hatter Mark F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Endon View Post
    Mark F., that's a great list you compiled there. From it I've only seen 'Gold Rush' and 'Metropolis' (which I own; by the way, have you seen Metropolis's newly-discovered bit of film?), but half of it was already on my 100-movies-to-watch-this-year list. I guess I'll have to add the others.

    And I've only seen excerpts of Herzog's 'Nosferatu'. Kinski was fantastic in 'Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes', and I'm sure he did a great take on Dracula, but it's very hard to top Schreck's rodent Otherness!


    Keaton craze right now, will be moving on to Murnau after that. Anyone seen 'Frau im Mond' (Woman in the Moon)? Apparently that's where the NASA countdown comes from. I've been told it's excellent by very reliable sources, but find the running time a bit daunting, considering the free time I'll have this week. Care to give me a push?
    I haven't seen the new footage. Can you find it on the net somewhere?

    The Herzog version of Nosferatu is pretty good (like anything by Herzog, obviously). The first half is very similar to Murnau's film, but the second part differs and makes it very interesting.

    I haven't seen Woman in the Moon but I've seen longer Fritz Lang silent films like Dr Mabuse : The Gambler and The Nibelungen. Both are excellent.
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

  13. #13
    ignoramus et ignorabimus Mr Endon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    305
    Haha, I meant that the idea of an out-of-time silent movie is very appealing. Don't worry, Scher, I'll definitely check it out - turns out my library, surprisingly, has a copy.

    amarna, thanks for the link, it's been added to my list. An ode to my favourite city is sure to sound like music to my ears!

    Mark, unfortunately I can't find it. Maybe there's a (coftorrentcof) with it, but I'm not even sure it's out yet. And I have quite a few Murnau items in my list but not those, thanks for the suggestions.

  14. #14
    Registered User Emil Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by amarna View Post
    My favourite silent movie is Urban Symphony from 1927. Here it is.
    Thanks for 'Berlin Symphony of a Great City', I have often read about it and it is a truly remarkable film which renders words entirely superfluos even though it is more akin to poetry than music. Visually, it is as stunning as Riefenstahl's 'Triumph of the Will' which it pre-dates by eight years.
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 06-09-2009 at 10:34 AM.

  15. #15
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Endon View Post
    Haha, I meant that the idea of an out-of-time silent movie is very appealing. Don't worry, Scher, I'll definitely check it out - turns out my library, surprisingly, has a copy.
    I am sorry; that was supposed to be funny. I knew what you meant.

    As for the movie, it is funny... Though may not exactly be what you are looking for.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your favourite... musical key.
    By aabbcc in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •