Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What about villains

The name that springs to mind is "Svidrigailov," from Crime & Punishment. Probably just because that's my favorite book, and tends to top all lists I make. But I like him because his character is analyzed—even in books that are pretty good about depth of character, the "villains" rarely get their fair share, when they tend to be the ones whose motives you most want to know about! But in C&P he actually gets some first-person perspective all to himself; we get to see inside his head. So he's a good—I mean, bad—one.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. What an awful woman. Of all the characters I've ever seen, she sticks out in my mind as being the most villainous. Her psychological torment of her patients is unparalleled in cruelty--she destroys them from the inside out and suppresses any threat to her absolute control over the ward.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

If you can go for a screenplay, look at "The Man (Jimmy Stewart) Who Shot Liberty Valance (Lee Marvin)." Liberty Valance is one mean dude.

Blog Entries
    I would definatly put Iago up there.
    Macbeth not so much.
    Javert (if you can call him a villain) only becasue of the great debate on whether he is or is not a villain.
    vengence (from Mobey-Dick).... probably my number 1 pick
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Nurse Ratched was a pretty good villian, and Voldemar also fits the mold well, but I think that Rudi von Starnberg in "Royal Flash" is the best villian that I have encountered.

I suppose my “favourite” villain is Uriah Heap because he’s so slimy and resentful – he's disgusting because he's cunning. He's villainous as a result of weakness. I think Iago’s a good choice as well.

Iago is the best, and this is from someone who's not that wild about Othello.
    "The Professor" from Conrad's The Secret Agent is cool too.
    "A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." -Leo Tolstoy

It's debatable whether he's a villian - he's probably more of an anti-hero, but because he's so unpleasant, I'd have to say Heathcliff.

Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. What an awful woman. Of all the characters I've ever seen, she sticks out in my mind as being the most villainous. Her psychological torment of her patients is unparalleled in cruelty--she destroys them from the inside out and suppresses any threat to her absolute control over the ward.
    I have to agree with that. I loved One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Nurse Ratched was a fantastic villian.

I also love Iago for this.
    Also i think possibly Chauvelin from the Scarlet pimpernel books if onyl for his demmed unfashinable cravat sir! Tally ho! lol!
    'We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry becasue we are members of the human race.'
    - Mr D. Keating Dead Poets Society

Clamence, from "The Fall" by Camus.
    "I don't care what you believe in, just believe in it."
    Shepherd Book, Serenity.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
    -Bertrand Russell

"The no-mind not-thinks no-thoughts about no-things"
    -The Buddha

Interesting question.
    As Nightshade replied, I would probably have to choose Mephistopheles from Goethe's Faust and/or Marlowe's Dr. Faustus - witty, intelligent, and deceitful.
    Others I would have to choose from: Uriah Heep from Dickens' David Copperfield, the multiple villains of Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, MANY characters of Shakespeare plays, particularly from Macbeth, Hamlet, and Titus Andronicus, and multiple characters from Homer's The Iliad.

Smerdyakov in The Brothers KAramazov. I really want to meet him!

I always liked Satan and his retinue in The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
    Here lies the noble fearless knight,
    Whose valor rose to such a height;
    When Death at last did strike him down,
    His was the victory and renown.
    He reck'd the world of little prize,
    And was a bugbear in men's eyes;
    But had the fortune in his age
    To live a fool and die a sage.

Don Quixote, Miguel De Cervantes Saavedra

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyyoke
    I always liked Satan and his retinue in The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
    Yes, that reminds me of two other fictional characters, through representing the same figure: Satan in both Paradise Lost by John Milton and The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri.

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Devil- Paradise Lost by Milton
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast