Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: What about villains

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    I wouldn't call Leontes a villain. He does genuinely seem to be jealous, even if there is no reason for it.
    I would argue he's a villain figure in the first half. Or, at least, his madness is driving him into an antagonistic position. He's put into opposition against his entire court, Bohemia, even Apollo's oracle at Delphi.

Also, for Category B: Javert from Les Miserables. How could I forget him?
    Ecce quam bonum et jocundum, habitares libros in unum!
    ~Robert Greene, Friar Bacon and Friar Bungay

To be honest, in Shakespeare I do not think there are villains. Each character seems justifiable in their own understanding of their emotions, to the point where such categorizations really fail. Even Don John in Much Ado About Nothing, or Edmund in King Lear - all justifiable within their own conceptualization of the world in regard to them.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    To be honest, in Shakespeare I do not think there are villains. Each character seems justifiable in their own understanding of their emotions, to the point where such categorizations really fail. Even Don John in Much Ado About Nothing, or Edmund in King Lear - all justifiable within their own conceptualization of the world in regard to them.
    I think that's a hard case to make for the likes of Aaron, Iago and Richard III...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I think that's a hard case to make for the likes of Aaron, Iago and Richard III...
    Iago is the only difficult one, but at the same time, he doesn't strike me as a Villain, just because we are reading his point of view, he is in the hero position, it has been argued. That is the problem with the play - he is victorious in his endeavor - the play is about his feat, not Othello's - his quest for destruction is the centre of the play, we are awaiting to see him succeed.

Same with Macbeth, he is not a villain, though vile. That is a problem I guess for such categorization.

Richard III has his reasons, doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    Richard III has his reasons, doesn't he?
    The disturbed quality of being brilliant but deformed.

catigory A (and I not only sympasise with them .... )
    first of all Count Dracular (don't really wanto to know what Freud would say concerning my exitement when thinking of beeing bitten... and bite myself whatsoever)
    then the one I coul fall for Heathcliff (I'd cast Jonny Depp if I was asked...)
    furthermore Sweeney Todd (no matte what version)
    there are probably more ... all those vampire like men...

category B
    Judje Turpin (Allan Rickman made him come to life in such a disgusting way... real good job)
    who else... well perhaps there'll be some more coming to my minde later on...
    Friends help you move. Good friends help you move bodies.

Blog Entries
    I love villains, a lot more than heroes. My favorite is Crake, but I also like Hannibal Lecter, Iago (if one classifies him as villian), Medea...

OH!!! Satan from Paradise Lost is actually my favorite favorite.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

yeah.. villians are well.. dunno I feel the same about them.. as long as I can remember I've always bin on their side... always bin on the side of the dragons as well ... perhaps because the bad once are appear stronger or because someone entirely good is too surreal because however hard you try to escape by reading you actually always search the mechanisms of reality just in other worlds and stories... the rules remain the same... and the bad once are those who do what we don't dare to do but always wish... perhaps adoring the bad once keeps us from doing those things ourselves and so indulge to the imp of pervers (as poe puts it) .
    dunno, I'm afraid I'm not really making a point here ... I'm rather raving or something, sorry for being so vague but perhaps you can make something of it....
    Friends help you move. Good friends help you move bodies.

Seasider
    Isn't one of the problems how to make good people interesting? The only way is to pit them against a villain and hope they come out on top. Heroism needs Villainy if it is to be noticed.

Madame Defarge.
    Not sure which category to put her into though....
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

villains across literature

your favourite and why?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

This is an interesting thread

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567