Thread: Prologue

Prologue

This is the introduction to a story I'm writing, I'd love to know what people think of it so far, so be as harsh as you want (But not too harsh :P)

PROLOGUE

How to start? Hmmm, I’m not too sure. I know I want to start… just don’t know how. Damn it I’m rambling again, so here goes nothing.
    That night the crescent moon seemed strangely bright, bright enough to illuminate preceedings in a lucid, yet suitably enigmatic manner. A shadowy figure shot across a carpark belonging to an impressive looking hotel and disappeared behind some garbage. It was a cat. But not far from that cat was an individual, conspicuous in his isolation. The individual peered through a barred window which allowed a glance into a grand kitchen. He reached inside a pocket and twisted something briefly before pulling out his hand and creeping into another pocket. The aforementioned cat watched curiously as the slightly clumsy figure fiddled with an obscure item, which had been recovered from the depths of a trench coat. It was a small package about the size of a man’s palm. He removed the wrapping and the delivery was placed on the floor near the window and close to the entrance of the kitchen. The figure casually placed their hands in their pockets and walked away. After a few steps the technician paused the CCTV footage.
    “Interesting…” I replied clearly indifferent.
    “You have no idea, seriously.” asserted a serious looking police officer who seemed severely exhausted.
    “What’s the catch then? We get some strange bloke wondering about at night and leaving presents for people, sounds a bit like some nut thinks he’s Santa Clause.” Jack asked this rather boldy whilst clearly deep in thought. I judged from the situation this was no simple case of lunacy-inspired identity theft. Me and two of my closest friends, Jack Dodge and Capraeus Buckley had been summoned, at two in the morning on a Tuesday, to New Scotland Yard in Greater London. We had all been enjoying a brief but pleasant holiday in London, where we were staying for a few days in a nice little hotel (Nothing like the one in the CCTV footage) minding our own business. The first time we’d all been together for nearly two years. We had originally been detectives for the metropolitan police, but we had all gone our seperate ways after our failure to achieve disclosure on a chilling murder case. Jack had become a fairly successful mechanic and Capraeus had joined the army. By join the army, I actually mean, enrolled, got trained and then decided perhaps the army wasn’t his ‘thing’. He then craftily manipulated his contract within the army, allowing his quiet exit. He had been the one who arranged our meeting, and the metropolitan police noticed our combined presence and couldn’t resist pleading for our immense powers of deduction. Personally, I didn’t think we were that amazing, but since I’d been jobless for nearly a month, I played hard to get momentarily before practically leaping into their financial arms.
    “Well, that night the Prime Minister was staying at that very hotel, along with some members of parliament, having a secret meeting. Aswell as a private shindig, but still this was top secret either way.” I snapped out of my little thoughts and listened intently to the officer.
    “The following information is classed as top secret, you will have to sign a contract before leaving this room, ensuring us of your ability to remain silent with what I am about to tell you.”
    “Oooh government secrets, fantastic! Count me in!” Capraeus grinned leaping off the desk he was sitting on and striding towards the contract.
    Jack and I took a contract each, scanned the contents and signed clearly. Confident with our oaths to silence the officer placed the documents back on the desk and rubbed at his eyes tiredly.
    “Last night at 12:30, the Prime Minister was assassinated.”

No one wants to comment? Go on comment! I dare ya! ...