Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for suggestions

Looking for suggestions

I am new here and am loving this place. I don't know anyone that I can discuss books with and I am glad to have found a site devoted to reading. I am a fan of horror novels and am looking for suggestions. I have read most of Stephen King's novels and many of Clive Barker's as well. I'm looking for something a bit more intelligent. I am currently reading Dante's Inferno and am loving it. If anyone has any suggestions please post them.

H. P Lovecraft? Haven't read him for about 15 years (I OD'd on Horror an dSci Fi as a teenager) but sounds like he might fit the bill.

U2aholic
    Try EAPoe for horror novels or Bradbury, eg "The Small Assassin". Barker is all right. I had "The Skins of the Fathers" for my interpretation classes. I don't know if all that is intelligent but pretty enjoyable. Or you may just come back to Shakespeare He's the best horror writer ever
    In dreams begin responsibilities.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I haven't read it myself yet but a friend said Blindness is very upsetting and kept him sleepless although it is not a horror story in the traditional sense...

Blindness by Jose Saramago http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...769560-0730226

Incidentally, it is one of the books nominated for May in the Book Club : http://www.online-literature.com/for...ead.php?t=4283
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 04-28-2005 at 12:57 PM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I remember 'The Small Assassin' *shudders* All of Bradbury's short stories are great - 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' is another I rememebr well - and a Shakespeare reference to boot! Just thought, Irvine Welsh completely rips off 'The Small Assassin' in one of his short stories. You should check out Edgar Allen Poe and Bram Stoker. I enjoyed 'The Tell Tale Heart' by the former, and 'The Judges House' by the latter.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Monica, Edgar Allan Poe wrote some of the best horror stories. I haven't read them all but I leave the lights on after every story.

I know this isn't a 'horror' story but The Lord of the Flies is very scary on parts. In many ways it is also just cruel and disgusting. If you don't find it scary it is a very good book that I think everybody should read!
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

It was me not monica. Every time I read Monica's name I hum Monica by The Kinks. Lovely song.

Blog Entries
    Monica said it to, only she wrote EAPoe.......I hum that song too when I read that name, great song.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Yes, Bradbury is fantastic. We liked especially his short stories "Veldt" and "Perhance to sleep"

Also We must recommend "Sand Kings" by George RR Martin.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Thanks for all the ideas. I am a fan of Poe and Lovecraft also but I haven't read Bradbury. I will definately have to check him out. Thank you all for your help.
    Last edited by Snic19; 04-28-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica
    Try EAPoe for horror novels
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandini
    'Something Wicked This Way Comes' is another I rememebr well - and a Shakespeare reference to boot! . . . You should check out Edgar Allen Poe and Bram Stoker. I enjoyed 'The Tell Tale Heart' by the former, and 'The Judges House' by the latter.
    I secondly suggest all of the preceding recommendations. Anything by Poe, especially, one could call the most satisfactory of horror. Some of Ambrose Bierce's short stories also went especially senstive under-the-skin, so to speak.
    Perhaps my favorite horror novel of all time: The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. Watched before reading the book, I did not find the movie very frightening, but the book certainly spooked me, to say the least.

Try The Phantom of the Opera (Mary Shelley) or Frankenstein (Gaston Leroux).

Anything by Richard Matheson, specially 'I am Legend'.

Horror is probably one genre where short story tends to work better than novel. As such one author who I haven't seen recommended so far is MR James. Brilliant short story writer - most of his works are public domain and can easily be accessed via Internet. (and they are pretty short too, making it less of a hassle to print them)

Then there is Shirley Jackson's 'Lottery', Neil Gaiman's collection 'Smoke and Mirrors' also contains a lot of weird, spooky tales.

For pure psychological horror you cannot go wrong with Shirley Jackson's 'Haunting of the Hill House'.

With you on 'The Exorcist' Mono - read it when I was thirteen and scared meself silly!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I started reading The Exorcist when I was 12 after hearing a lot about the movie (hadn't seen it myself). I managed to reach page 63 (yeah, I still remember it) but could not carry on any further (reading it late at night did not help either, I guess) and threw it under my bed and never took it out again. Hmmm, I wonder who did...
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast