Thread: Troilus and Cressida Question

Troilus and Cressida Question

Was Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida pro or anti-war?
    What are some quotes, and solid reasons to back up each case?

Thanks,

Al

biting writer
    It is a particularly difficult play, one not staged all that often for that reason, and while I cannot dig it up to help you with specific examples, you can make your case for or against just conflict on the basis of shifting allegiances of the characters, who are fickle, whatever the divine sanction of the outcome. Maybe tomorrow I can cobble some points together for you.

Clearly anti-war as far as I can see.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure it makes a statement either way. It is a satire, yes, but not so much a satire of "war" but a satire of the great(est) heroes in the Western cannon. If it is taking a stance on anything, it is against the notion of a god-like hero; reducing even Achilles to a mere man.

But for all the complexities of this play, it is a comedy and must be considered in that light.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    I'm not sure it makes a statement either way. It is a satire, yes, but not so much a satire of "war" but a satire of the great(est) heroes in the Western cannon. If it is taking a stance on anything, it is against the notion of a god-like hero; reducing even Achilles to a mere man.

But for all the complexities of this play, it is a comedy and must be considered in that light.
    I've only seen the BBC version of the play but there didn't seem to be much comedy.

Blog Entries
    That's the BBC Shakespeare series for you.

It may not be as noticeably comedic as, say, Twelfth Night or Dream, but the passive-aggressive part in III.iii is hilarious; as is Thersities in general.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    That's the BBC Shakespeare series for you.

It may not be as noticeably comedic as, say, Twelfth Night or Dream, but the passive-aggressive part in III.iii is hilarious; as is Thersities in general.
    Oh, those bits were funny but the general spirit of the play does not seem to be comic.