Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you set a time limit when you read?

Do you set a time limit when you read?

When you sit down-or lay down-to read a NOVEL do you set a time limit? I've heard from many sources that the average human attention span is only 20 minutes long. I know some people claim to read hours on end, but the majority of the time they are not processing anything. My sources are doctors, psychologist, and college websites. I'm simply curious. Please answer my question honestly.

Personally I try to read in hour increments, but my attention begins to wander after 20 minutes. I am being completely honest.

my attention span is probably alot less than 20 mins lol. The most i have read in one sitting is maybe 3 hours. Usually its an hour to an hour and half. That also depends on what book. if its a tougher read it will be shorter as it will take more concentration

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Depends on how interesting the book is, or if its a course work and I'm under a deadline to have it read by. I think the longest single session was about 17 hours, wherein I read the complete Piers Plowman in the original Middle English. Now that was knackering - usually about 3 hours is my most effective span.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I do set a time limit to myself, just because real life gets in the way of reading Deadlines and stuff...

But then I usually get so caught up in the book that the whole world can fall apart and I do not respond until I've read the last page. This might take 1 hour, 10 or 24 I will just not look at the time and ignore that it has past

I never set myself a limit as in "I will only to be able to absorb so much". If my attention wanders, I blame it on the book
    It is not too late, to be wild for roundabouts - to be wild for life
    Wolfsheim - It is not too late

When people say they read for 8 hours + I begin to have my doubts. We are human beings. At some point we have to get up to drink, use the restroom, eat, sleep, etc...
    Last edited by ilikecomputer; 05-23-2009 at 09:50 AM.

You'd be amazed where you can go with a book in your hand
    It is not too late, to be wild for roundabouts - to be wild for life
    Wolfsheim - It is not too late

Would I? I find walking around reading to be quite distracting. Stumbling over curbs, getting feet stuck in mud, dodging 747s.

I can read one book all day. I have ADD, which gives me spontaneous rest periods where I think about anything and everything, and then I go back to the text. It keeps me from burning out.

A lot of people have rest periods when they read throughout the day. I can easily read for 24 hours if I have rest periods every 30 minutes to an hour.

The Lost One Wanders LostPrincess13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It would depend on how I find the book. If I find it tedious, after 2 hours or so, I begin to get bored. But if I'm really into it, I could read it till I can't anymore. I once went for an entire day without eating or sleeping because I really wanted to finish a book!
    CARPE DIEM! Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!
    -Dead Poets' Society

I SWEAR, BY MY LIFE AND MY LOVE OF IT, THAT I WILL NEVER LIVE FOR THE SAKE OF ANOTHER MAN, NOR ASK ANOTHER MAN TO LIVE FOR MINE.
    - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

If I consider a book excellent, I will put a lot of intellectual or emotional energy into reading it. I will read and reread a few pages very slowly and soak in all the words. I reason out the logic or paint vibrant pictures in my head. I take breaks often to clear my head.

I can read average books for long periods of time. Average books are interesting but don't require as much mental energy.

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    There's always a mark of beginning!~

Blog Entries
    I'm suprised that most people have an attention span of 20 minutes. My average reading time is three hours. Sometimes my brain wanders when I read something that grabs me (when I first read the quote that's in my siggy I sat staring into space for fourty-five minutes or so) but not too often, and I usually catch myself and go back. When I was a kid, I read the fourth Harry Potter book in one sitting. I also read The Catcher in the Rye in one sitting because I had a date with a guy the next day and that was his favorite book.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I'm going to be completely honest. I've read 3 hours at a time before and I find it difficult. Practically every single person I ask this question to says, "Oh I can read for hours on end." But usually when I observe them quietly while they read they read for about 20-60 minutes. Even kids in class begin to whip out their cell phones 20 minutes into the lecture. Its quite interesting. I'm sure some of you can read for hours on end, but people lie because they want to be admired. Its quite a sham. Mark Twain discusses this in The Mysterious Stranger.

I believe myself to be fairly intelligent and I know a lot of people with masters degrees in philosophy/english/psychology who rarely read-or study- for hours on end.

I also hear people claiming to read novels like War and Peace in as little as seven hours. There is another lady online who claims to read 462 books a year. Its absolute rubbish. Speed reading is disrespectful to the writer. Its a shame.

I know there are some people who have the patience to read for hours on end, but when I hear people at fast food restaurants claiming to read for nine hours straight then I begin to have my doubts.

I am jealous of the men who can read for hours on end. I truly am, but I believe its a rarity. If you have been blessed with this gift congratulations.

if most people only have an attention span of 20 minutes then how could anyone ever watch a movie?

anyway, i don't really set a time limit, but the most i can read without getting up etc. is about an hour and a half.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast