Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here ever apply for a postgraduate course?

serf scolder

Anyone here ever apply for a postgraduate course?

I am in the process of doing this and am currently writing my 'letter of intent'; does anyone have any helpful advice on how to write a good letter?

Blog Entries
    Why don't you write your letter of intent and then post it on here for feedback? I think that would be more useful.

I start my post-graduate/masters in teaching in september.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    CE,SE, or HE opti?
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'

Blog Entries
    Im assuming you are doing aPGCE or a PGCSE or a PGCHE
    was wondering whihc one?

( Certificate of Education, certificate of Secondary Education, Certificate of Higher Education )
    :d

|currently reading

serf scolder
    Quote Originally Posted by optimisticnad View Post
    Why don't you write your letter of intent and then post it on here for feedback? I think that would be more useful.

I start my post-graduate/masters in teaching in september.
    Hi, great suggestion! Any input would be appreciated.

Dear course coordinator

After assessing a number of different postgraduate courses in various universities, I can honestly say that the English MA in 'Modernities: Romanticism, Modernism and Post-Modernism' at Uxxxx is of the most interest to me. Having studied a plethora of diverse subjects over the past three years at undergraduate level, the content that this programme boasts, is in my opinion, the most interesting and important in terms of literature, history and literary-theory. I am also attracted to the layout of the course and the incorporation of the research skills element.

After three years at Uxxxx studying English as a majour, and psychology as a minor, I have become accustomed to first-class tutelage and experienced nothing but consummate professionalism across all aspects of the English department. The expert advice and enthusiasm which is omnipresent among the lecturers has helped ameliorate my writing and analytical skills considerably. When I look back upon my earlier essays I am astounded at just how far I have progressed during my time at Uxxxx. Additionally, I feel that the psychological aspect of my studies has really enhanced my ability to analyse the literature; especially in terms of the authours' thought-processes, which illuminates and heightens my understanding of the literature.

By applying for this masters degree I wish to develop my skills even further, and take my English to the next level. I am confident that with the configuration of this programme, which combines a balanced selection of literature and theory in areas which I find highly interesting and mentally stimulating, I can accomplish this objective.

I have studied various subjects which I feel are relevant to this course in both 2nd and 3rd year, for instance: Romance to Realism, Literary Theory, Victorian Literature amongst others, I feel this acts as a prescient for what this programme has to offer, albeit on a more in-depth and advanced level. The extent to which I enjoyed the aforementioned subjects leaves me in little doubt I will do likewise with the content of this programme.

The research skills element is additionally another important factor in my desire to pursue this programme: I personally feel that conducting academic research is one of the most interesting aspects of university, and which makes it a far more enjoyable, flexible and enriching experience; especially when compared with earlier educational memories.

I feel this programme will help significantly in achieving my fundamental aims: As an aspiring journalist, being able to critically evaluate and analyse texts is essential. Since arriving at Uxxxx, I feel my analytical skills have improved drastically, and I am certain this improvement would continue as a result of this programme.

For all the reasons mentioned above I am confident this programme will help me progress on both a personal and career level. With the interesting subjects, research-skills aspect, and high quality of teaching, this programme is undoubtedly my first choice and makes applying an easy decision. I hope I have done enough to demonstrate my motivation and desire to pursue this MA. If not, considering the current economic predicament, I'll be booking a one-way ticket to Baghdad.

Yours Sincerely

Tarquin

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Im assuming you are doing aPGCE or a PGCSE or a PGCHE
    was wondering whihc one?

( Certificate of Education, certificate of Secondary Education, Certificate of Higher Education )
    :d
    It's an MA at university level. It's in Europe, so maybe the terminology is different?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin Bennett View Post
    It's an MA at university level. It's in Europe, so maybe the terminology is different?
    Sorry no I should have made it clear that comment was directed at Opti.
    as to your letter Im not sure ( never ever tust me when it comes to spelling ) but I think major is spelt wrong, also so whast with the Bagdad comment?

|currently reading

serf scolder
    Sorry no I should have made it clear that comment was directed at Opti.
    as to your letter Im not sure ( never ever tust me when it comes to spelling ) but I think major is spelt wrong, also so whast with the Bagdad comment?
    In proper English that is how you spell majour. Typical ill-informed American LOL. The Baghdad comment was what is known in Europe as an attempt at humour; something American's clearly know little about

ignoramus et ignorabimus Mr Endon's Avatar
    This is a good letter. It's just a bit verbose, which I think you would do well to curb; after all, it's not a contest to see how many exotic words you can cram in 500 words.

"plethora" carries a negative connotation, I'd use something like "a myriad of"

that this programme boasts is, in my opinion, the most
    Lose the hyphen in "literary-theory" and "thought-processes".

When I look back upon my earlier essays I am astounded at just how far I have progressed during my time at Uxxxx.
    this is unnecessary.

When you use double adjectivation, if one of the adjectives is "interesting" you can probably leave it out.

Subsitute your semi-colons for commas.

Your closer should be a sentence irradiating confidence, not a joke. Especially this joke.

Those are my suggestions, take them or lump them.

And Nightshade is right, there's no such thing as majour. In case you're wondering, I'm currently residing in the UK. Also, you would do well to lose that anti-Americanism. I don't know if she's American or not (I'm thinking she isn't), but for God's sake, she's trying to help you and you insult her, what's the deal with that? Plus, the USA are the kings of stand up comedy, so your xenophobia is even sadder for being so absurd.

serf scolder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Endon View Post
    This is a good letter. It's just a bit verbose, which I think you would do well to curb; after all, it's not a contest to see how many exotic words you can cram in 500 words.

"plethora" carries a negative connotation, I'd use something like "a myriad of"

Lose the hyphen in "literary-theory" and "thought-processes".

this is unnecessary.

When you use double adjectivation, if one of the adjectives is "interesting" you can probably leave it out.

Subsitute your semi-colons for commas.

Your closer should be a sentence irradiating confidence, not a joke. Especially this joke.

Those are my suggestions, take them or lump them.

And Nightshade is right, there's no such thing as majour. In case you're wondering, I'm currently residing in the UK. Also, you would do well to lose that anti-Americanism. I don't know if she's American or not (I'm thinking she isn't), but for God's sake, she's trying to help you and you insult her, what's the deal with that? Plus, the USA are the kings of stand up comedy, so your xenophobia is even sadder for being so absurd.
    Thank you very much for your advice, it is much appreciated. I was being facetious with the anti-American references, albeit Britain trounces the USA when it comes to comedy.

ignoramus et ignorabimus Mr Endon's Avatar
    Glad I could be of help.
    I had perceived your comments as having more venom than humour, but I've been wrong before.
    Just out of curiosity: if you consider the US and Britain to be below par 'comedywise', which countries do you think are better in that respect?

serf scolder
    Glad I could be of help.
    I had perceived your comments as having more venom than humour, but I've been wrong before.
    Just out of curiosity: if you consider the US and Britain to be below par 'comedywise', which countries do you think are better in that respect?
    You have misunderstood: I am an avid supporter of British comedy, it is the American attempts that leave at lot to be desired.

PS: I am British.

Blog Entries
    In proper English that is how you spell majour. Typical ill-informed American LOL. The Baghdad comment was what is known in Europe as an attempt at humour; something American's clearly know little about
    Dearling I bleed the union jack ( well some days anyway ) Im fairly certain that makes me English.The spelling comment was due to my Dyslexia rather than a supposed cultutral inability to spell . But The bagdad joke is a bad idea, you dont know who is reading the letter and there opinions on the matter. you can put ther back up very easily.

I dont appreciate stand up comedy myself, but I do appreciate the defense. thankyou

Thank you very much for your advice, it is much appreciated. I was being facetious with the anti-American references, albeit Britain trounces the USA when it comes to comedy.
    I do get the facious humor but it can still be interpreted as offensive in that it offends people. Its best to avoid such remarks, or risk alienating los of people
    And Endon is right though Anti anyone based on culture country blah is bad .

|currently reading

serf scolder
    Dearling I bleed the union jack ( well some days anyway ) Im fairly certain that makes me English.The spelling comment was due to my Dyslexia rather than a supposed cultutral inability to spell . But The bagdad joke is a bad idea, you dont know who is reading the letter and there opinions on the matter. you can put ther back up very easily.

I dont appreciate stand up comedy myself, but I do appreciate the defense. thankyou

I do get the facious humor but it can still be interpreted as offensive in that it offends people. Its best to avoid such remarks, or risk alienating los of people
    And Endon is right though Anti anyone based on culture country blah is bad .
    For me personally, it has to be the latter I'm afraid. I do things my way--and if this displeases people, so be it!.

To use figurative speech: I am the lord of the demesne.

Blog Entries
    Hi, great suggestion! Any input would be appreciated.

Dear course coordinator

After assessing a number of different postgraduate courses in various universities, I can honestly say that the English MA in 'Modernities: Romanticism, Modernism and Post-Modernism' at Uxxxx is of the most interest to me. Having studied a plethora plethora means way too much - is that what you meant? Perhaps 'variety' is a better word here of diverse subjects over the past three years at undergraduate level, the content that this programme boasts, is in my opinion is this your letter? Is it written by you? Then of course it's all your opinion so you dont need to say 'in my opinion', the most interesting and important in terms of literature, history and literary-theory. I am also attracted to the layout of the course why? How is it different to other layouts/ and the incorporation of the research skills element.

After three years at Uxxxx studying English as a majour, and psychology as a minor, I have become accustomed to first-class tutelage and experienced nothing but consummate professionalism across all aspects of the English department. The expert advice and enthusiasm which is omnipresent among the lecturers has helped ameliorate my writing and analytical skills considerably. When I look back upon my earlier essays I am astounded at just how far I have progressed during my time at Uxxxx. Additionally, I feel that the psychological aspect of my studies has really enhanced my ability to analyse the literature; especially in terms of the authours' thought-processes, which illuminates and heightens my understanding of the literature. loved your vocab!

By applying for this masters degree I wish to develop my skills even further, and take my English to the next level. I am confident that with the configuration of this programme, which combines a balanced selection of literature and theory in areas which I find highly interesting and mentally stimulating, I can accomplish this objective.

I have studied various subjects which I feel are relevant to this course in both 2nd and 3rd year, for instance: Romance to Realism, Literary Theory, Victorian Literature amongst others, I feel this acts as a prescient for what this programme has to offer, albeit on a more in-depth and advanced level. The extent to which I enjoyed the aforementioned subjects leaves me in little doubt I will do likewise with the content of this programme.

The research skills element is additionally another important factor in my desire to pursue this programme: I personally feel that conducting academic research is one of the most interesting aspects of university, and which makes it a far more enjoyable, flexible and enriching experience; especially when compared with earlier educational memories.

I feel this programme will help significantly in achieving my fundamental aims: As an aspiring journalist, being able to critically evaluate and analyse texts is essential. Since arriving at Uxxxx, I feel my analytical skills have improved drastically, and I am certain this improvement would continue as a result of this programme.

For all the reasons mentioned above I am confident this programme will help me progress on both a personal and career level. With the interesting subjects, research-skills aspect, and high quality of teaching, this programme is undoubtedly my first choice and makes applying an easy decision. I hope I have done enough to demonstrate my motivation and desire to pursue this MA. If not, considering the current economic predicament, I'll be booking a one-way ticket to Baghdad.

Yours Sincerely

Tarquin

Hope the above helps Tarquin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast