Thread: Some questions for 'The merchant of Venice'

Some questions for 'The merchant of Venice'

Hi all,

I am a Chinese reader , and i am very hard at studying English now.

There are some questions in the process i am reading the comedy 'The merchant of Venice' of Shakespeare.

Three sentences bold below in Act I Scene I is very hard to understand to me:
    1.Salarino:Nature hath fram'd strange fellows in her time:
    Some that will evermore peep through their eyes
    And laugh like parrots at a bag-piper
    And other of such vinegar aspect
    That they'll not show their teeth in way of smile.

2.Gratiano:You have too much respect upon the world

3.Antonio :I hold the world but as the world

What are these three sentences' meaning ,and how to understand them.
    Could anybody tell me?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by icon
    Hi all,

And laugh like parrots at a bag-piper
    VERY QUICKLY, just looking at your post here, without reading the scene, I would say that this means:

It is strange how the same human nature has two different groups of people. One group is happy and laughing all the time (and sweet), but the other group is so sour (vinegar) that they never smile or laugh.

When we smile, our teeth show, because our lips open. But when we frown and clench our teeth together, in anger, then our lips are closed and our teeth do not show.

I will try to read this scene later, if time permits.

Quote Originally Posted by icon
    Hi all,

Just looking at these two sentences by themselves, without looking at the entire context of the scene, I would say that Grationo is complaining that Antonio expects too much of the world, has too high an opinion. Antonio answers, saying that he understands the world accurately, and that his expectations are not too high, but rather, his perception of the world is exacly as the world is in reality. I HOLD (reckon, believe, estimate, judge) the world BUT AS (to be only what) the world (is and nothing more or less.)

Hope this helps.

If I get a chance to read the scene, and come up with any better explanation, I will post further in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Longer Excerpt

GRATIANO
    You look not well, Signior Antonio;
    You have too much respect upon the world:
    They lose it that do buy it with much care:
    Believe me, you are marvellously changed.

ANTONIO
    I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano;
    A stage where every man must play a part,
    And mine a sad one.

GRATIANO
    Let me play the fool:
    With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come,
    And let my liver rather heat with wine
    Than my heart cool with mortifying groans.
    Why should a man, whose blood is warm within,
    Sit like his grandsire cut in alabaster?
    Sleep when he wakes and creep into the jaundice
    By being peevish? I tell thee what, Antonio--
    I love thee, and it is my love that speaks--
    There are a sort of men whose visages
    Do cream and mantle like a standing pond,
    And do a wilful stillness entertain,
    With purpose to be dress'd in an opinion
    Of wisdom, gravity, profound conceit,
    As who should say 'I am Sir Oracle,
    And when I ope my lips let no dog bark!'
    O my Antonio, I do know of these
    That therefore only are reputed wise
    For saying nothing; when, I am very sure,
    If they should speak, would almost damn those ears,
    Which, hearing them, would call their brothers fools.
    I'll tell thee more of this another time:
    But fish not, with this melancholy bait,
    For this fool gudgeon, this opinion.
    Come, good Lorenzo. Fare ye well awhile:
    I'll end my exhortation after dinner.

As I look at this longer excerpt, I am getting a different understanding.

Gratiano is saying, "Wow, you look sick. I thing you are worrying to much, taking things too seriously! Lighten up. It isnt worth it to be that way. You wont accomplish anything by such anxiety and grief. You even look like you are going downhill and deteriorating!

Antonion answers: Oh well, that is just the way the world actually is. And this is my fate, to be miserable and suffer. We are all just like actors in a play. We HAVE to read our script and play our part the way it is written. My life is very sad. I cant help the way I feel.

Gratiano: Well, I am certainly not going to be miserable like you. I am going to laugh and have a good time. I really care about you so that is why I am talking to you this way and give you advice. There are certainly people who take themselves very seriously, but they really do not say or do anything important. We will talk more about this later. But dont go looking and fishing for all this misery and suffering. We will talk more after dinner.
    Last edited by Sitaram; 07-01-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Too Much

Icon,

I commend your efforts to learn English, but for that purpose, Shakespeare is not ideally suited! His language is archaic and even native English speakers cannot understand it. Shakespeare is almost like reading a foreign language. It requires a great deal of practice. Furthermore, you must remember that Shakespeare does not have a modern scientific understanding. Much of what he writes is based on late 16th century misunderstanding, including frequent prejudice and bigotry, of which "The Merchant of Venice" is a perfect example. The Jew, Shylock, is a stereotypical characture that most people will consider highly offensive.

If you want to read "literature" that will help you learn English, I highly recommend three American authors who have great reputations, but can be easily understood by modern English speakers: Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck and Jack London. In addition to a number of novels, each wrote short stories too. For starters, try Hemingway's "Old Man and the Sea." Frequently called a novellete because it can be read in two hours or less, it is a classic story that should translate to any culture. Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" is a very long novel, but considered his masterpiece. Jack London doesn't get the respect afforded the other authors, which is unfortunate. I believe he is very much their equal. "Call of the Wild" is considered his classic, but other works, particularly "Martin Eden" and his autobiography "John Barleycorn" are superior works. If you like their work, each author has an extensive library of works.

A warning! I've not read Jack London in sometime, but he wrote in the late 19th and early 20th century. He spent much time living in and writing about Oakland, California. There is a large Chinese population there, and while I don't recall them, there may be a reference or two you consider racist or offensive.

However, to answer your Shakespeare questions.

Salarino finds it strange that people can be so different from one another. Some people find humor in anything, including a bag-piper who were frequently part of an honor guard for solemn occassions, including funerals. Frequently, Shakespeare includes comments on human nature that are irrelevant to plot. Much of the opening dialogue is like that, although some people would argue its relevance as a precusor descriptions of the protagonist, Bassanio, and the antagonist, Shylock.

Apparently Shakespeare believed that parrots "laugh." It's not really relevant, but a literary metaphor not applicable to our modern sensibility.

Gratiano is saying that his friend takes life too seriously! Antonio disagrees claiming that he takes the world as it comes and responds in kind.

Good luck in your efforts.

For a first post, Jayhawk, it makes a promising one. I definitely agree with what you wrote... esp. the beginning. Shakespeare is a way to savour English, not to learn English.

My Interpretation

And laugh like parrots at a bag-piper,

Could anybody tell me?
    Thank you.

1. He is speaking of the fakeness and venom behind the laugh and not truly meeting the eye....(peeping through their eyes ). A parrot's laugh is not TRUE...just repetition at anything...no true feeling! Vinegar depicts bitterness.
    Fake smiles...

2. He is saying that his friend EXPECTS TOO MUCH of the world. Why try for excellence and integrity....a pathetic view for anyone with a SOUL!

3. This guy is saying ....I see it for what it is worth...meaning not much!

My Interpretation

And laugh like parrots at a bag-piper,

Could anybody tell me?
    Thank you.

1. He is speaking of the fakeness and venom behind the laugh and not truly meeting the eye....(peeping through their eyes ). A parrot's laugh is not TRUE...just repetition at anything...no true feeling! Vinegar depicts bitterness.
    Fake smiles...

2. He is saying that his friend EXPECTS TOO MUCH of the world. Why try for excellence and integrity....a pathetic view for anyone with a SOUL!

3. This guy is saying ....I see it for what it is worth...meaning not much!

sagitarius

Reading in between the lines

Reading in between the lines!
    understanding what is read up to this point is very helpful.

plz help...

can any body help me out with this lines...i couldnt understand their meaning...

That thu shalt see the differenceof our spirit,
    I pardon thee thy life before thou ask it:
    For half thy wealth,it is Abtonio's;
    THe other half comes to the general state,
    Which humbleness may drive unto a fine.