Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Lets talk about swear words!

Lets talk about swear words!

Dear literature buffs: English is not my first language, so naturally I have a lot of questions about certain words...and for some reason obscenities are what I would like to discuss in this thread. :-)

Ok, so why is "sh*t" considered more obscene than "crap"?

Also, how did the word "*ss" (donkey) acquire its two entirely different meanings?

Blog Entries
    S*it just sounds harsher I guess.
    As for *ss, I think it was originally meaning a donkey (stubborn, stupid, mean).
    Good questions though.
    Everyone knows what's in room 101.

Everything becomes irrelevant, when the sky tears open.

"Hey Kevin." "What?" "Theres a ditch there." "Sh*t!"

Blog Entries
    Why is it that one learns a foreign language that one seeks out the profane words first?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    English isn't my first language either, but the same thing happens in Portuguese and, I believe, in every language.

Meaning varies. And written word has, sometimes, different effects than spoken. In LitNet, as well as any forum and internet communication -- a kind of (very) new way of "speaking" --, there's a great deal of spontaneous ways of speech. Some half swearings come about. Some of these seem not to sound that offensive to a reader, because they/we read it as if someone were speaking to us.

Even so, sometimes I'm reading something someone's writing, and I .. put a different word in the place, as I speak with myself, while reading. I use "blast" a lot, instead of any swearing, I try to make my interjective locutions with "heavens" or "blast" mainly (in Portuguese, I use "céus", which means "heavens", and "raios", which means lightning, literally, and goes fine like "blast" ... And I use "droga" for "damn", which isn't exactly a swearing, but a curse, as I understand, and it's to be used when something goes really bad ... :rolleyes~).

As I said, I believe in every language, similar phenomenons, happen.
    This is what I think.

It's a very good topic, though!
    It'll help people think a lot, and ... make their expression through written word more ... thought.~

lq

----
    Ps. getting the chance for it, I'd like to ask any English speaker, if he will, to correct me in anything wrong or weird I may come to say in English. Specially phrasal verbs. I've been finding it particularly difficult, some times, to let them flow, and any help will be welcome. I ask you to do it with discretion, though, through pm, unless it'll help others, so as not to stray discussions away, and such. -- Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Why is it that one learns a foreign language that one seeks out the profane words first?
    Because sometimes thats the first thing they learn.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

English swearwords suck, but from my understanding, French ones are far more fun, since they haven't completely lost their umph. In truth, outside of formal writing, in Canada almost all swear words have become somewhat mainstream. I have professors who use them, and many literary minds use them regularly. In truth, it's scary - what happens when swearwords become mainstream? Does that mean we need new ones?

Blog Entries
    I think you don't have to worry about that ...

Why do you need to swear, anyway? :rolleyes~

Quote Originally Posted by dead man walkin View Post
    Dear literature buffs: English is not my first language, so naturally I have a lot of questions about certain words...and for some reason obscenities are what I would like to discuss in this thread. :-)

Ok, so why is "sh*t" considered more obscene than "crap"?

Also, how did the word "*ss" (donkey) acquire its two entirely different meanings?
    The story behind why English swear words are swear words is that they where a regular part of the Saxon language, but when the Normans invaded, they considered the Saxons to be an inferior people, thus to behave like or emulate them them was seen as degrading. Hence, why people sometimes say, "Pardon my French" after swearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post

haha how true!!

I think it's interesting to see in any language what is culturally considered obscene as opposed to other words. It gives you a feel for the language and culture. It can be regional even if you speak the same language.

dead man walking really does have a good question there though.

I remember some of my very first Spanish words included well...the bad ones :P

Same with ASL..those signs are so graphic...some of them are pretty funny

Blog Entries
    I remember I asked one of my literature teachers in school if she had read Hearts in Atlantis, which I had just read and really liked. And she said she liked the story, but that the somewhat excessive use of swear-words was not necessary and not in good taste, so to speak. I probably swore at times when I was younger, but now I don't at all and it bothers me a little bit when others do. It's not really that it offends me so much, as just that almost invariably when someone uses those words, they are saying something very ignorant, and ignorance is just a little offensive.

Blog Entries
    indeed, when people (around me) swear, they are expressing rage (and usually beating on keyboards like fools) ... I think that I suffer because of the excessive rage.

The choice of words is the most ... obscene, usually. (There must be some sort of explaination for this ...)

Maybe they're calling "Eros", or some deity like this, once most people live for such god, in a choice of words and thoughts, and behaviours. (It sounds a bit absurd, but it crosses my mind, honestly ...)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by librarius_qui View Post
    indeed, when people (around me) swear, they are expressing rage (and usually beating on keyboards like fools) ... I think that I suffer because of the excessive rage.

The choice of words is the most ... obscene, usually. (There must be some sort of explaination for this ...)

Maybe they're calling "Eros", or some deity like this, once most people live for such god, in a choice of words and thoughts, and behaviours. (It sounds a bit absurd, but it crosses my mind, honestly ...)
    Hahaha, beating on keyboards will not help anything!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    Hahaha, beating on keyboards will not help anything!
    you tell me! lol!!~

" " ( )