Thread: Catcher in the Rye vs. Life of Pi

Catcher in the Rye vs. Life of Pi

Hey, I was wondering which book would you say to be the better book between Catcher in the Rye and Life of Pi in terms of character, conflict, and setting.

In my opinion, Holden of Catcher is much more intriguing compared to Pi Patel. Both stories deal with the should we trust the narrator issue. I think J.D. Salinger pulled it off better than Martel. I feel like the story with the whole plot twist in Life of Pi is amazing. The settings in both are equally great in my opinion.

What's everyone's opinion?

I would say Catcher In the Rye. I didn't particularly enjoy the book but I'd have to say it is a lot better than Life of Pi; which I found pretty poor and not worthy of the buzz. Just my opinion -- don't shoot me

Catcher in the Rye

Women, wine and snuff
    Definitely catcher in the rye.

Catcher In The Rye
    bookiewriter.blogspot.com

Thanks for your opinions!

Why does one have to be 'better' than the other? Can they not both be worth reading, for different reasons? The fact that they were written over half a century apart, are of different lengths and methods of construction and use entirely contrasting settings, makes comparisons a little strained. One has had time to acquire a cultural (some would argue, cult) status of its own, the other is still 'settling in'. OK, so they both have narrators whose reliability we may question, but don't most modern novels?

I love them both!
    Last edited by emily00; 05-06-2009 at 05:24 PM.

I don't see anyone remembering or reading Life of Pi in another 50 years. Catcher in the Rye I think is an excellent book, though I probably wouldn't get as much from it today as I did when I first read it, probably not, I don't know. I've read Life of Pi I'm sure of it, but I can't remember a single thing about it, I can only recall a tiger on a boat or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    I don't see anyone remembering or reading Life of Pi in another 50 years. Catcher in the Rye I think is an excellent book, though I probably wouldn't get as much from it today as I did when I first read it, probably not, I don't know. I've read Life of Pi I'm sure of it, but I can't remember a single thing about it, I can only recall a tiger on a boat or something.

You seem to have a problem with memory loss and indecision. Why not read them both again and be sure?

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    I have definitely enjoyed them both during different times in my life.

Catcher is much more angsty. It says more about culture and growing up in America.

Life of Pi is much more philosophical. It says more about religion and the part it does or should play in society.
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

I loved "Cathcher in the Rye" and was totally dissapointed with Life of Pi. Pi Patel's figure is way too perfect and not interesting- can't even be compared with a complex Salinger's hero