Thread: ulysses

Lightbulb ulysses

There are many little quotes and spakes in other languages, french, german, latin etc., in ulysses. Does anyone know of a single specific site or publication where these have been gathered together and translated into english.
    Like many people I find ulysses difficult but very enjoyable and addictive. This is my third reading of it in thirty years and the wealth of websites that deal with it make it so much easier than my previous readings. For anyone just starting out Richard Ellmanns ' reader "Ulysses on the Liffey" is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by mbt View Post
    There are many little quotes and spakes in other languages, french, german, latin etc., in ulysses. Does anyone know of a single specific site or publication where these have been gathered together and translated into english.
    Like many people I find ulysses difficult but very enjoyable and addictive. This is my third reading of it in thirty years and the wealth of websites that deal with it make it so much easier than my previous readings. For anyone just starting out Richard Ellmanns ' reader "Ulysses on the Liffey" is invaluable.
    My copy of Ulysses Annotated generally translates every foreign word in the novel - and I believe this is most frequent in [The Wandering Rocks], when Stephen has a conversation in Italian with his vocal instructor.

There is a watered down version of the Ulysses Annotated online, however (which one can find simply by googling "Ulysses Annotated"), which has everything translated in thumbnails, or something to that extent.