Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Adam and Eve-who do you think is more responsible for the eviction from paradise""

"Adam and Eve-who do you think is more responsible for the eviction from paradise""

Hello i'm facing a big trouble to analyse this topic.my madam gave an assignment on this topic,please help me to make one. I know Eve is responsible for the eviction but i can't make it broad anyhow .help me out my friends...........i'm waiting.dead line is April28,2009.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You should have used a bawling emoticon. Who knows, it might raise a little pitty.

Blog Entries
    Blame the woman, of course. It is obvious that Satan, or er, the serpent (not one in the same in the Bible, but the same in Milton's epic poem) is responsible. Or perhaps it is free will that is responsible. Which makes it all a bit ludicrous. There is a choice... God gives free will but then he condems one for utilizing it.

There is no blame. It had to happen. God created Paradise knowing it would happen, because if you truly believe that god is omniscient and omnipotent, then he must have known that Eve would eat the apple. Which, perhaps, then puts the blame back on God.

round and round we go... silly, these threads... A new user asking for help, and then never to be seen again.

and I am in an odd mood. My apologies for the rambling.
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Oh sure! Blame the woman! Maybe you can blame the Madam for giving you a homework project too!

I’m afraid you’re going to have to, “how should I say”, wing it, study, use your imagination “if you have one” and figure it out for yourself. I don’t think you will get much help here. I suppose there is no harm in trying though, huh? Good luck.

God is to be blamed. He created Adam and Eve, and sent the serpent, knowing they would fall. After all, he created them knowing the only possible outcomes for their actions. He knew they would fall, as he knew everything.

The problem with the story though, is textually, I find that it takes a primary myth, and weaves it within a stranger narrative. The actual chapter in Genesis, to my reading, doesn't really seem to fit in properly.

If I were to categorize it, and I'm no folklorist, I would say it fits closer to beast fables and folktales than to the poetic opening of Genesis, and would be taken as such, had it not been in the narrative. The actual fall though, has no bearing on the rest of the book per say, it merely justifies an unexplained thing within the context of a tradition - Why do people die, why is life hard, why do women suffer so much giving birth (especially at a time when giving birth not only meant a high infant mortality rate, but also a good chance of the mother dying as well). The only way to do something like that, is either to blame God, not possible under the circumstance, or internalize it, blame humanity.

Of course, the Fall is given significantly more weight in a Christian reading, because it gets woven to include Satan, who doesn't appear in the Judaic reading. I think it is safe to say, from a literary perspective, it is hard to assume the serpent is anything close to Satan, and merely is an interwoven myth, explaining the nature of snakes.

In other words, we have a folk myth that got blended textually with another one, and then got mixed into a grander mythological cycle over time.

[QUOTE=PoeticPassions;709925]
    There is no blame. It had to happen. God created Paradise knowing it would happen, because if you truly believe that god is omniscient and omnipotent, then he must have known that Eve would eat the apple. Which, perhaps, then puts the blame back on God.
    QUOTE]

Really couldn't say it any better than this.

As far as Adam and Eve go, I always felt that they equally shared the blame. They both committed the crime so it doesn't really matter who did it first or who's to blame. For example: my step son had a friend stay the night last week. I told them they could stay up late and watch a movie but they were not to get up from thier sleeping bags. I nodded off for about 10 minutes and discovered them running around the house. My step son said it was the other boy's idea to get up since I was asleep. I do believe him, but they still got in trouble equally as did Adam and Eve...all according to God's (and Lucifer's) plan. Lol though I suppose Adam & Eve and a 6 year olds sleepover aren't exactly comperable :P

It is human nature. Blame Human nature, the nature within us that prevents us from submitting totally to His orders.

This was the firts application to "Choice" that we were given. "True will" was missing here and that was why temptation, played its role.
    Quranically, Adam was to blame more, this true will was missing from Him

And verily We made a covenant of old with Adam, but he forgot, and We found no constancy in him. 20:115

Any How, Human beings were created to live on earth and to inherit it, but, with that lesson in mind, a human being recalls the incident and tries to transcend the self, from following its temptation to submitting to its creator.
    Where is the voice of Humanity?

The point is, God created Adam and later Eve, according to the text, therefore if it is human nature, it is only human nature because God created humans with that natural ability, in other words, God willed or set humanity up for failure.

Both are equally to blame. To place more blame on any one of them is to cast a stone. We're all sinners too, so we are no more blameless than either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Self View Post
    Both are equally to blame. To place more blame on any one of them is to cast a stone. We're all sinners too, so we are no more blameless than either of them.
    You're a sinner. Judaism doesn't prescribe to this inherent sense of guilt that Catholics, and some Christians insist is within us. I doubt many other religions do to. In fact, I would go as far as to say I do not believe in sin (using a definition of sin as it pertains to the religious, not as a "shame", as in "It's a sin to waste that.").

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    You're a sinner. Judaism doesn't prescribe to this inherent sense of guilt that Catholics, and some Christians insist is within us. I doubt many other religions do to. In fact, I would go as far as to say I do not believe in sin (using a definition of sin as it pertains to the religious, not as a "shame", as in "It's a sin to waste that.").
    You're wrong. This is why they sacrificed animals, to appease God. If no one sins in Judaism then the prophets (especially Elijah) were pointless. Christians just believe this sacrifice is not needed anymore because an infinite sacrifice was made.

What does that have to do with this? Sin is willfull disobedience to God, which both Adam and Eve did. This is the answer to the question.
    Last edited by Tyler Self; 04-25-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Self View Post
    You're wrong. This is why they sacrificed animals, to appease God. If no one sins in Judaism then the prophets (especially Elijah) were pointless. Christians just believe this sacrifice is not needed anymore because an infinite sacrifice was made.

What does that have to do with this? Sin is willfull disobedience to God, which both Adam and Eve did. This is the answer to the question.
    Not from guilt, in the same way. You misinterpret the sacrifice of animals, which you would know, has not happened in a while, and had nothing to do with guilt or sin. Sin isn't the reason for praying. It just goes to show how ingrained this misunderstanding is. The reason for prayer is for clarity and guidance through God, and also as a means of maintaining the tradition. The formal reason, stems from the destruction of the temple, and acts to remember the covenant after the time of the destruction, and the diaspora, in accordance with the expectation of the arrival of the Maschiach (transliteration mine).

The tradition and the remembrance is more central to the prayer, whereas in Christian dogma, the focus of praying is different. I suggest you read a little more into the relationship, or the understanding of God between the two religions, as you will notice the religions are far more different than you can imagine, and the term Judeo-Christian is quite oxymoronic.

I didn't say no one sinned, I just said that sin doesn't come from an inherent sense of guilt over the fact that people are born. People sin, yes, but quite simply, that isn't why people pray, and sinning is always in relation to covenants, whereas in Christianity (I generalize, but I speak more toward Catholicism) it is in relation to a divine order.

I recommend you read some commentary, especially canonical commentary, on the whole Garden of Eden bit from Genesis. Rashi says this completely different than Aquinas, I can assure you. In fact, you would realize that they are almost talking about completely different texts.
    Last edited by JBI; 04-25-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Sin.....Prayer...Human Nature

These are the main issues here.

Well we all agree on the story itself. Adam was created before Eve. She was created from himself. However, there are some points I view differently.

We are to inherit earth, but to live an eternal life in heaven. Therefore, The Creator chose this scenario for Adam and Eve. Without sin, mankind would have forgotten where eternal Home is. Sin acts like an alarm, a reminder, that we have another place to go.

We do not pray because we are sinners, but we repent because we are sinners. Actually with sin, there is no purgation, purification, filtration.

Prayer, on the other hand acts as the bond between mankind and His Creator, to the Eternal gardens of Eden.

The bottom line is we are here for there. We sin to remember this and pray to live the happiness of there until we reach.

But observe what you just did - you just threw all the focus to sin. Why sin? What is sin? Why not focus on the fundamental - knowledge. That is, what I would argue, is the centre of the so called "Fall". It is not brought about by a sin, in my reading, but rather the acquisition of knowledge. Sin is secondary, the act of knowing is the fundamental aspect, brought about by the snake convincing Eve to eat the fruit, interpret that however you want. In general though, I like to think it implies a sense of coming of age of the two people, and awakening into the realization of the physical aspects of existence.

I agree.

Knowledge is the bridge from innocence to experience. The Romantics used not the word sin, but experience.

The fall, therefore, came from not being satisfied with knowledge, but the curiousity of indulging into experience.

A broader meaning and thinking as well, is what you pointed to. Experience, that arouses from knowledge would either lead to negative experience, which leads eventually to a fall or failure, or, positive experience, which eventually leads to transcendence.

I believe that is why mankind came to earth through a fall, to know the flavour of transcendence when it happens.

Does this make sense?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast