Thread: Seamus Heaney Tribute to Burns

Blog Entries

Seamus Heaney Tribute to Burns

So I bought a collection of Robert Burns' poems today on my way to work. At the very start was a funny and fitting tribute to the Poet written by Seamus Heaney. So i thought i'd share some of it with you (with a link to site i got it from so you can read it all.)
    A Birl for Burns by Seamus Heaney
    Old men and women getting crabbèd
    Would hark like dogs who'd seen a rabbit,
    Then straighten, stare and have a stab at
    Standard habbie:
    Custom never staled their habit
    O' quotin' Rabbie.

Leg-lifting, heartsome, lightsome Burns!
    He overflowed the well-wrought urns
    Like buttermilk from slurping churns,
    Rich and unruly,
    Or dancers flying, doing turns
    At some wild hooley.

Copyright © Seamus Heaney
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3...for-Burns.html
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Great! Thanks, Niamh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Niamh. Burns is a very enjoyable poet.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh
    And even words like stroan and thrawn
    Have to be glossed,
    Thanks Niamh! That made my day.

Blog Entries
    Yeah i thought it was something worth letting people know about! Heaney is brilliant. And i'm enjoying Burns.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

I utterly adore Seamus Heaney - he's an absolute legend. I particularly enjoyed his translation of Beowulf and found it not only to be the most accurate, but also the most entertaining translation in recent years. I was even lucky enough to bump into him at the Bloomsbury Hotel in London last year! Apparently he likes to stay there and they've even named their library after him.

Human Chain is amazing.

J

Blog Entries
    With the passing yesterday, 30 August 2013, at the age of 74 of Nobel laureate Seamus Heaney, widely regarded as the greatest Irish poet since William Butler Yeats, I have put together this 5,500 word package of 18 A-4 pages, of several pieces of prose, and several prose-poems, which found some of their inspiration in the last two years, 1998 to 1999, of my student-working life, and in the first years of my retirement from FT, PT and most volunteer work: 1999 to 2013, after half a century of my life in clasrooms as a student-and-teacher: 1949 to 1999.

In 1999, just as I was beginning to enjoy my new roles, the reinvention of myself from teacher and tutor, adult educator and lecturer, among many other forms of employment----to poet and publisher, writer and author, editor and researcher, online blogger and journalist, reader and scholar, Heaney translated a much-praised version of the medieval epic Beowulf. Heaney was the last of the poets from 'The Silent Generation', the entre deux guerres poets born between 1919 and 1939.

Readers are advised to read just so long as their interest is maintained. I stop reading all the time when I lose interest, and I advise readers to do the same.-Ron Price, 31/8/’13 at 10:30 p.m. in George Town, Tasmania, Australia.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WITH THANKS TO SEAMUS

“The strengths and limitations of poets,” wrote the former American poet laureate Robert Pinsky back in 1980, “seem to come from intensity of focus.”1 The insights and ideas that are at the base of their expression grow somehow from the complex, subterranean roots of their concern with composition, its circumstances, its rationale, its connection to mind and spirit and with the most urgent and painful questions of the past, the present and the future.-Ron Price with thanks to 1Robert Pinsky, “The Prose of An Irish Poet,” The New York Times on the Web, 21 December 1980.

Whatever vitality and seriousness
    readers find here in this poetic
    derives from a particular soil
    and a unique and moving narrative
    that arose meteorlike, traversed
    a somber sky and burned itself out.

With Seamus my ambitions have
    always been more private, but my
    gift—whatever it may be—is more
    analytic than lyric, more narrative
    with place a part of personal drama,
    with analysis of the heart and the mind
    and communal drama following behind
    and its commentary on the human-social.1

I have inherited a two-humped tradition:
    a long one back to the Hebrews and Greeks,
    essentially intellectual, books and ideas;
    and a second of shorter thinner-vein—
    of place, town, country, globe and universe.

I draw from a multitude of poetic modes:
    one that got me jump-started back in 1980
    thanks to Roger White who put my life
    in poetry for the first time; another thanks
    to Wordsworth, the first poet in retreat
    from society, its disorienting forces
    that had beset my spirit for many a year,
    to solitude’s restoring, refreshing, bastions
    so my psyche could find its sacred place
    and develop the poetic self’s sensitivity.

Many others, too, gave to me a structure
    and sustaining landscape, not imprisoning
    but liberating and distancing so I could be
    opportunistic, unpredictably susceptible.

1 J. D. McClatchy, “Minds Beyond Themselves,” The New York Times on the Web, December 24th 1995.

Ron Price
    March 12th 2006
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    THANK YOU SEAMUS

I try, through my prose-poetry, to vocalize my inner life and the ‘being-there-ness’ of life in all its forms. Sea, stone, wind and tree play a part in my poetry but, thusfar, the note of nature is not a dominant one. My poetry displays a strong sense of the poetic process, a particular and complex process; it also displays my trust in the future possibilities of my poetry which I feel is still very beginnerish.

What began as a quiet, unobtrusive, eddy in the current of my life in the 1980s became a somewhat manic, somewhat obsessive, rush in the 1990s, a saving grace, a new lease on life. I hoped, of course, that people would acquire a taste for my poetry, that one day they would enjoy it, that it would give them pleasure and delight, even though, thusfar, as I am about to enter the 21st century, there has been little evidence that this would take place.

I have not been able to separate the act of writing poetry from life itself; they were and are one continuous process, or so it seems to me. One day, I often mused, my enthusiasm for writing poetry might die out, but in the meantime writing poetry would continue to occupy the centerpiece of my life that it had become.-Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney, Preoccupations: Selected Prose 1968-1978, Faber and Faber, London, 1995.

Thank you, Seamus, for your understanding.
    Writing poetry and understanding the process
    both seem to be important to me, and it is such
    a mystery why I continue to put down poem after
    poem in these small booklets which noone reads
    and which sit on my shelves over my head
    in this study of my house defining my life
    in more depth that I ever could in any of the
    conversations with those I love and know.

Ron Price
    23/10/’00 to 31/8/’13.

PS By the time I revised this prose-poem today, on 31/8/'13, I had acquired literally millions of readers in cyberspace. During the first dozen years of the 21st century, I registered at more than 8000 sites with their millions of readers, and interacted as time and circumstances permitted. Mirabile dictu---as they say in Latin and "how marvelous it is to be able to say this" is one of the many possible translations.
    -------------------------------------------------
    I COME HOME

The achievement of a poem is an experience of release, of buoyant completion and completion of a timeless formal pleasure which comes to fullness and exhaustion. The writing of a poem is something which occurs equidistant from self-justification and self-obliteration. A plane is fleetingly established where the poet is intensified in his being and freed from his predicaments.-Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney, The Government of the Tongue, Faber and Faber, London, 1988, p.xxii.

Freed from tact and fidelity,
    the tongue ungoverned, a
    condition unconstrained,
    impractical but possibly
    efficacious, potentially
    redemptive, possibly
    illusory, I come home
    to a space, a people.

I create an economy of
    feeling, an emotion of
    cultivating form, and a
    distinguished sensibility.

I create a thrill of continuance
    amidst all the worlds of change.

Ron Price
    24 April 1998
    ---------------------------------------------
    A NEW BOOK OF POEMS BY SEAMUS HEANEY

Part 1:

Back in April 1988, in my first year as a lecturer in a technical and further education college in Perth Western Australia, and in my early years of middle-age, a leading, famous poetry critic Helen Vendler wrote a review in The New York Review of Books of a new book of poems. The book was entitled The Haw Lantern by Seamus Heaney.(1)

Vendler(1933- ) has written books on Emily Dickinson, W. B. Yeats, Wallace Stevens, John Keats, and Seamus Heaney. She has been a professor of English at Harvard University since 1980; between 1981 and 1984 she taught alternating semesters at Harvard and Boston University. In 1990 she was appointed to an endowed chair as the A. Kingsley Porter University Professor. She is the first woman to hold this position. She has also taught at Cornell University, Swarthmore and Smith Colleges, and Boston University.

“Here are thirty-two new poems by Seamus Heaney,” she began, “from this poet of abundance who is undergoing in middle age the experience of natural loss. As the earth loses for him the mass and gravity of familiar presences—parents and friends taken by death—desiccation and weightlessness threaten the former fullness of the sensual life.”

Part 2:

By my mid-forties I was no “poet of abundance.” That delightful poetic ride was waiting for me as I got into my fifties and here I am, nearly 70, and that poetic ride feels like it has only begun after two decades of travelling many a mile with many booklets of poetry posted along the way, thousands of poems, millions of words and—as the 21st century advanced---millions of readers in cyberspace’s vast landscape.

“The moment of emptiness can be found in other poets,” continues Vendler. “Already I take up less emotional space / Than a snowdrop,” James Merrill wrote at such a point in his own evolution. Lowell’s grim engine, churning powerfully on through the late sonnets, did not quite admit the chill of such a moment until Day by Day:

We are things thrown in the air alive in flight…
    our rust the color of the chameleon.

Part 3:

It is very difficult for poets of brick and mortar solidity, like Robert Lowell, or of rooted heaviness, like Heaney, to become light, airy, desiccated. In their new style they cannot abandon their former selves.

“I balanced all, brought all to mind,” said W. B. Yeats, using a scale to weigh years behind and years to come. The struggle to be one’s old self and one’s new self together, that is the struggle of poetry itself, which must accumulate new layers rather than discard old ones. Heaney must thus continue to be a poet rich in tactile language, while expressing emptiness, absence, distance. The Haw Lantern, poised between these contradictory imperatives of adult life, is almost penitentially faithful to each, determined to forsake neither.

The great systems of dogma, patriotic, religious, ethical, are often, but not always, abandoned, by poets as they come into late middle age and late adulthood, to say nothing of old-age, the years after 80 according to one model of human development used by psychologists of the lifespan. Heaney’s own dogmas, says Vendler, “must be abandoned in favour of a ceaseless psychic sorting,” but he takes little joy in sorting.

Part 4:

Heaney has several times quoted Mandelstam’s notion that “poetry, and art in general, is addressed to the reader in posterity.” Poetry, in Heaney’s view, is not directed exploitatively towards its immediate audience although, of course, it does not set out to disdain the immediate audience either. It is directed towards the new perception which it is its function to create.(2)-Ron Price with thanks to (1)Helen Vendler, Second Thoughts, The New York Review of Books, 28/4/’88; and (2) Seamus Heaney, comments during a symposium on art and politics at North-eastern University, 1986, printed in Working Papers in Irish Studies, issued by North-eastern University, 1986, p. 33.

“By the time you start to compose, more than half the work has been done," wrote Irish Poet Seamus Heaney. "The crucial part of the business is what happens before you face the empty page," he continued, "before the moment of first connection, when an image or a memory comes suddenly to mind and you feel the lure of the poem-life in it.” Most of the writing in my memoir took place in my late fifties and my sixties. Much of the work, the living, had indeed been done: half, three-quarters, nine-tenths? Time would tell how long I would remain on this mortal coil. Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney in "Notes From the Underground, " The Courtland Review, 25 March 2006.

Note: I also want to thank Herbert Read and his book "The Meaning of Art" (Faber and Faber, London, 1936) for some of this content.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    POETRY AND PLACE

That there is a connection between poetry and place, it might be seen on first appearances, to be only stating the obvious. Knots of narrative, of prose and poetry, are tied and untied in places where a writer finds, in the words of Michel Tournier, artifacts of archeological excavation. Time in these places, Tournier says, becomes in effect, palpable and visible. The poetry and prose worlds that the writer is creating become concrete. They take on flesh and cause blood to flow. Hopefully this flesh resembles that of the living and not the dead and, hopefully, that blood has warmth and life-giving qualities and is not clotted and dry.

In the process, the past, a past, my past, is materialized in the present and the words come to serve as a vehicle for one’s personal and cultural memory. --Ron Price with thanks to Anthony Purdy, “Michel Tournier: the bog-body as mnemotype: nationalists, archeologies in Seamus Heaney and Michel Tournier-Critical Essay,” Style, Spring, 2002, 24 October 2008.

The essence of my spirit,
    my life experience, and the
    resolution of my inner tensions
    is in words with many levels of
    meaning like the sediments laid
    down over eras, epochs and ages,
    sediments which speak a language
    far beyond their texture, colour,
    extent and mass observed and felt-
    a language that tells a story, that
    dramatizes and grasps history and
    time in a single step and helps in
    my complex, imaginative engagement
    with issues, with my identity and with
    my art. As I seek a kind of excited and
    heightened awareness of the quotidian
    and the spiritual, the mystic and the
    practical, I also seek to impose universality
    on the particular, and the particular on the
    universal as well as a sense of mystery before
    the common and everyday sense of life.

A global community springs to life as I write
    in front of my words like a flower opening, &
    I know that what I write is not private, although
    I am a very private man, but public, global and
    part of the very axis of the oneness of humanity. (1)

(1) J. A. Triggs, “Hurt Into Poetry: Verses of Seamus Heaney and Robert Bly,” The New Orleans Review, Vol. 19 No. 3-4, Fall & Winter, 1992, pp. 162-73.

Ron Price
    29 October 2008
    ---------------------------------------------
    HURT INTO POETRY

Part 1:

The poet, and the poetry, of Seamus Heaney is not a product of the conflict in Northern Ireland, except in the sense that his is a sensibility that seeks to assuage and to heal. It would not be true to say of Heaney, as Auden wrote of Yeats, that “mad Ireland hurt Heaney into poetry.” It would also not be true to say that the conflict in his native province, his home, as has been suggested by some, has significantly stimulated him as a writer.

Unlike the early Auden, whose genius was sharpened by the revolutionary currents of the thirties, Heaney would prefer not to have lived in a time of violence.” On the other hand, if Heaney is seen as a symbol of rapprochement and healing, then the political symbolism of his Nobel Prize is brilliantly apt. -Richard Tillinghast, “Seamus Heaney’s Middle Voice” The Criterion Online, Vol. 17, No. 9, May 1999.

Part 2:

When Heaney was 14 his family left the farm where he had been reared from his birth in 1939. His life since then, since 1953, has been a series of moves farther and farther away from his birthplace. But these departures have been more geographical than psychological. Rural County Derry, the "country of the mind" is where much of Heaney's poetry is still grounded.

Heaney's poems first came to public attention in the mid-1960s when he was in his mid-twenties, and I was in my early twenties. I knew nothing of Heaney back then, occupied as I was with the social sciences, with achieving some basis for a career, a career with some meaning; and also occupied with mood swings due to my bi-polar disorder and finding a mate for the long-haul ahead.

Part 3:

Heaney always had a deep preoccupation with the question of poetry's responsibilities and prerogatives in the world. His poetry was poised, such was Heaney’s view, between his need for creative freedom and the pressure he felt to express his sense of social obligation as a poet and as a citizen. –Ron Price with thanks to “Biography of Seamus Heaney,” Nobelprize.org.

I, too, moved further and further away
    from my birthplace and, by the end of
    my years, I was about as far away as I
    could be, & still be on the planet Earth.

The country of my mind was not the land
    where I was born, though it often appeared
    in my mind’s eye unannounced without even
    knocking at the door and making its own cup
    of tea in the kitchen before sitting down to chat.

My poetry came much later that yours, Seamus:
    poured out of me about the time I was fifty and
    still does in these years of late adulthood1 and,
    perhaps, even old-age if I last that long. And yes,
    it’s about poetry’s responsibilities & prerogatives
    and my social obligations in an Order that is the
    structure of a moderate freedom2 for humanity in
    the tempest of this long-complex antediluvian Age.

And was I hurt into poetry as Yeats way back then?
    Well, partly Seamus, partly--then there was healing
    and the river flowed down to the sea quietly at times
    often in swirling-white currents going every which way.

1 some developmental psychologists define late adulthood as the years from 60 to 80, and old-age as the years of 80 and beyond.
    2 Letter to the followers of Baha’u’llah in the United States of America,” The Universal House of Justice, 29 December 1988

Ron Price
    10/7/’07 to 31/8/’13.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    FAST EXCHANGES IN A SAUNA

Sometimes an event in one's daily life is deserving of a poem, at least the feeling arises that "I should write a poem about this." Perhaps the feeling that arises is part of something the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein once wrote about poetry and philosophy, namely, that "philosophy ought really to be written only as a form of poetry."(1)

Perhaps the inspiration to write a poem arises from the feeling that, as the philosopher David Hume once wrote, it is the business of poetry to bring every affection near to us by lively images and representation; or, perhaps, as Marcel Proust once wrote, it is to express something that has struck the heart or the imagination;(2) perhaps it is a simple taking pleasure in one's own sensibility;(3) or, finally, like the Irish poet Seamus Heaney, it's essentially a part of putting the practice of poetry more deliberately at the centre of my life.(4)

Ron Price with thanks to (1) L.Wittgenstein, Culture and Value, and (2) Marcel Proust, Selected Letters: 1880-1903, Doubleday and Co., Garden City, NY, 1983, p.xxii; (3) idem, and (4)Seamus Heaney, Preoccupations: Selected Prose: 1968-1978, Faber and Faber, 1980, p.13.

There were twelve girls
    up on the benches in the
    little sauna bath for the
    first time in their lives.

I was having my monthly
    trip to this hot room…..to
    this spa and pool to relax
    the timbers of my being as
    I stepped to the top bench.

These nymphs came from
    a private school: grades 3
    to 5 in their little bathing
    suits, such little girls, full
    of life they were bubbling.

I poured some cold water
    from my bottle on their
    shoulders one at a time,
    on invitation, and we all
    laughed and talked quite
    spontaneously for a time.

There was that engagement
    which comes in fast exchanges,
    with those youthful, innocent
    life-forms bathed in that Water
    of Life.We parted company as
    fast as we had met in the few
    minutes of this delightful, this
    refreshing, little-tiny symbiosis.

Ron Price
    8/12/’01 to 31/8/’13.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    INTENSELY PRIVATE: YES SOME OF IT

Section 1:

This afternoon, while on my summer holidays, I read some of the poetry of Sharon Olds, an American poet who graduated from the University of California in 1964. She is clearly one of my contemporaries. I graduated in 1966. In a little over an hour I read several reviews of her work, and some of her poems. I waited for my wife to finish shopping so that we could have lunch together in the city. This was a rare exercise for us. Seated on one of the comfortable chairs in the Alexander Library in downtown Perth, I read about a poet with an obsession different from my own.

Clearly, Sharon Olds is a poet with an obsession. Mine is a different one to Sharon’s, but there is little question that we are both obsessed. All flesh is flawed, as the poet Donald Hall puts it, and all poems are flesh. Seamus Heaney says that “when poets talk about their childhoods they come close to the centre of the mystery they are to themselves.” Sharon got close to this in her several books of poetry.

Section 2:

Another poet, Robert Bly, talks about “knots of energy in the psyche that build up on the voltage wires of life.” Poetry is a result of this voltage, this energy. Others might say that poetry is essentially ‘the emotional life of the individual.’ There are many ways to discuss one’s obsessions. There are many ways to refer to the purpose of poetry. Some would say poetry is written to try to understand and recreate human experience. One can get a handle on Ms. Olds’ poetry from all these perspectives. And the reader can get a handle on my poetry: a different obsession, a different energy, a different experience.

Sharon Olds had a brutalised childhood and this childhood became the storm centre around which her poems furiously revolved. I slowly got caught in the vortex, the enthusiasm, of a movement which claimed to be the emerging world religion, the latest of the Abrahamic religions, so it claimed to be. The process of ‘getting caught’ took place in a nine year period: 1953 to 1962. My poetry is, for me, a sizzling intellectual perspective in contemplation of that early warm-up period, and some thirty-seven years of travelling-pioneering and teaching this new Faith across two continents. This is the storm centre around which my poetry furiously and not-so-furiously revolves.

Section 3:

Robert Lowell described Sylvia Plath’s poetry as “the autobiography of a fever.” I think this is a fair description of the poetry of Olds and of myself. There are themes which occupy Olds, that obsess her and so also, me. Obsessions are common to poets. Some reviewers will regard Olds’ poetry and mine as a belaboured set, sequence, mass of settings, scenes and situations, over-dramatic and over-emotional. Does our voice become tedious after so many repetitions? I hope not. I hope the reader will find in both Olds’ poetry and mine: sincerity, honesty, not too much sentimentality, a useful comment on experience and the times from one person’s perspective. -The reviews and the poetry I read of Sharon Olds were in Poetry Criticism: Vol.22, Carol J. Gaffke, et al. editors, Gale, London, 1999, pp.306-314.

What is confessional poetry?
    Intensely private, I like that.
    Some of mine is just that:
    intensely private…….And
    some of it is not: so public.

Ron Price
    7/1/’99 to 31/8/’13.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    ANOTHER RAID ON THE INARTICULATE

What counts in the poetic raid on the inarticulate1 is the quality, intensity and breadth of the poet's concerns, his emotional capacity, intellectual resource, self-forgetfulness, a certain consciousness of his multi-personed self, and the general civilization and sensibility he maintains between raids. What counts, too, among a host of other factors, is the world of creative thought evoked by his use of the Greatest Name. -Ron Price with thanks to 1Seamus Heaney, The Government of the Tongue, Faber and Faber, London, 1988, p. 170; and 'Abdu'l-Baha, Analysis of Ya Baha'u'l-Abha.

We bring it all together here
    in these multifoliate poetic
    words describing some new
    15 years of peace1 in an old
    Athenian beautification that
    was transferred across the sea
    in a democratic theocracy, a
    religious apotheosis, glorification
    of this day and cheering our eyes,
    embodiment of an ideal, a way, &
    an order, on an isle of faithfulness,
    a shipwrecked victim washed onto
    the shore, positioned in a place of
    honour in the central square---the
    most beautiful creation in the world,
    a grace still contained & unknown.

Ron Price
    25/4/’98 to 31/8/’13.

1 It is anticipated that this Athenian period of peace: 446-431 BC will be repeated in another form which Baha'i call the Lesser Peace and the Greater Peace. This prose-poem found its origin in my teaching ancient Greek history: 479 BC to 404 BC in Perth WA, Australia.
    AWFUL NECESSITY

Readers will find in my poetry the living present and the persistent themes of daily life. Seamus Heaney refers to writing poetry as a gift, and describes it as possessing "an awful necessity" to keep going. Keeping it going, maintaining the writing of poetry as an activity, is a "lovely wonder" he continues. He says the writing of poetry, a poetry that keeps going, that continues over many years, is an art, an art that is "tutored by an instinctive cheer and courage."--Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney, The Redress of Poetry, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, NY, 1995, p.78.

I, too, ground my convictions
    upon the sensation of rightness
    experienced as indelible, first
    impression, growing, surviving
    in my mind as pleasure & delight,
    as potency, principle, & pastime.

It survives only for a time; it
    occasionally is reborn, if often
    entirely forgotten, and then it
    exists as a pull in the mind of
    readers as a kind of, type of
    undermusic that readers sing
    with me, well, at least a few.

Ron Price
    4/9/’03 to 31/8/’13.
    ----------------------------------------------
    NO STRONGER THAN A FLOWER

Sometimes an event takes place in my day's travels that I want to celebrate with a poem. This is due to the fact that verse has a place in one's home, one's work, one's interests, in the ordinary rituals of everyday. Poetry feels to me like "a gum which oozes." The action of a poem, though, "is no stronger than a flower."1 -Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney, Preoccupations Selected Prose: 1968-1978, Faber and Faber, 1980.
    WRITING

If I was going to all the trouble of writing poetry in order to communicate I would have given up long ago. So very few read what I write; at least this was true until the early years of the 21st century. I write to gain relief from the weight of the accumulation of ideas, to arrange words in a way most suited to the occasion. When I am finished I experience a feeling of rightness, a feeling of completeness, a feeling of having thought things through.

I feel easy, relaxed; sometimes I am exhausted. I feel unburdened from time to time, unburdened by both the definable and the undefinable. The determining factor in my poetic work, in the quality and connectedness of my feelings and thoughts, is an entire theology. -Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney, Preoccupations: Selected Prose 1968-1978, Faber and Faber, London, 1980, pp. 79-97.

My life and my work
    are not separate, but
    make a continuum on
    behalf of the world of
    vision……It’s the fine
    flower of my efforts to
    live and teach the Cause
    four three epochs that
    defined this dark heart
    of the age with a type of
    sincerity, an experiment,
    an orinary speech of man.

But a poet is never one of the
    people, for he is detached,
    remote and beyond all the
    inevitable small-time talk.

He is, though, in a childhood
    self that real self, the core of
    it, where what it is that is his
    verse was born…..And so he
    writes what he alone could write.

Ron Price
    22/10/’00 to 31/8/’13.
    ------------------------------------------------
    BRIGHT EMERGENCE

Seamus Heaney describes poetry as the process of putting feelings into words, the process of revealing the inner person, the inner life, of restoring culture itself. It’s the process, he says, of finding elements of continuity and giving to those elements the aura and authenticity of archeological finds, finds which are like plants, finds which are permanent and impressive objects, possessing an almost magnetic power, a field of force.

Like the archeologist, the poet relies on a certain relentless concentration, self-criticism and analysis as well as on those mysterious processes of chance for the poem’s ‘bright emergence,’1 for the poem’s point of entry into or exit from the buried life of feelings.

Many poems arise out of almost unnamable energies which hover over bits of language and landscape. They arise, too, out of a trust in certain moments of satisfaction which are extensions of life, where words and images rush of their own accord into a vortex, a vortex stimulated by memory’s quickening voice.-Ron Price with thanks to 1Seamus Heaney, Preoccupations: Selected Prose: 1968-1978, Faber and Faber, London, 1980, p. 52.

I search for words, a language
    adequate to these epochs,
    to the past and the future,
    to express my daily renewal
    and play my part in creating
    the new conscience of an age,
    where men may forage
    to assist their spontaneity,
    their pouring out,
    their telling it to the open fields,
    with a cheerful confidence
    in things to come.(1)

That they may surrender
    to energies in the centre
    of their mind and heart
    as they turn in their verses,
    not as the Romans did
    as they plouged their fields,2
    but to the new centre
    ‘round which the realities
    of the prophets and all there is
    of creative thought stirs,
    moves and has its being.

(1) William Wordsworth
    (2) The word verses comes originally from the Roman farmers turning in their fields as they ploughed, especially in the long years of the Republic before the Empire got going.

A man dabbles in verses and finds they are his life, as if letting a shaft down into something called ‘real life’. It produces excitement, confidence, insousiance? This dabbling is his craft, his technique, his stance toward life and toward his own reality, what takes him beyond the accidental and the incoherence of life, beyond what lies hidden.

I wrote this piece on a journey my wife and I made from Western Australia to Tasmania when I took a sea-change at the age of 55 and an early retirement. -Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney.

This would be a good place*
    for a Buddhist, as close to a
    nothingness as you can get,
    Nirvana’s manifestation,
    below an open sky, endless
    tracks of grass, bush, and
    greyness as far as the eye.

The Baha’i, too, could plunge
    here into a sea of light, for that
    is all there is above this oh so
    flat earth, this flat plain, this
    edge of a dish and this strange
    longing for a home of glory
    ‘neath a canopy of grace.**

Ron Price
    20/7/’99 to 21/10/’00

* the Nullarbor Plain
    ** See Baha’i Prayers, USA, 1985, p.140.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    AFTER APPLE-PICKING, THEN WHAT?

The first poet who ever spoke to me was Roger White. The first poet who ever spoke to Seamus Heaney, who some say is the greatest living poet in English, was Robert Frost. Heaney compares Frost’s poetry to “the crestings of a tide that lifts the spirits.” He particularly liked “After Apple Picking” which he said possessed a sense of surrender. I, too, liked that same poem and wrote the following to try and emulate its spirit and content.-Ron Price with thanks to Jeffrey Meyers, Robert Frost: A Biography, Constable, London, 1996, pp.351-2.

It’s not the apple-picking
    I got tired of, Robert, but(1)
    another great harvest that
    I myself desired for years.

Once I thought, oh to have(2)
    some great love down in my
    breast that I could sing of,
    rich, right at life’s big crest.

And, oh, it was so true.
    The song was sweet,
    a long, rich, taste, brew.
    I could not have wanted
    more. My desire was at
    last fulfilled, to the core.

Some of that love is gone, finished.(3)
    A winter sleep is in my night, and I
    am drowsing off with a deep fatigue
    behind my sight and in my raw-brain.

A new love, now, with softer hews,
    not the heat or the hard edge. I have
    me now sweet morning dews. On the
    grass, the trees and hedge: all of it,all.

I’ll let you know when it’s gone, and I
    am back again amidst the heat of day
    and endless song, or in that night from(4)
    which no one returns the black night,
    dark and long from which I awake with
    a wetness on my tongue and sinews-all.(5)

Ron Price
    30 April 1999

1This is a reference to the poem “After Apple-Picking” by Robert Frost.
    2 In my early years of pioneering and travelling, after leaving my home town, from about the age of 18 to 21, my great desire was to have someting to fill my life up with meaning and purpose. I had been a Baha’i youth for several years(15-21) but found it difficult to get a sense of meaning and direction in my late teens and early 20s. In October and November 1965 the pieces began to come together. I found this emptiness left me and my life was filled with meaning increasingly over many years in different ways: in pioneering, in teaching, in learning and by my late forties, by 1992, in writing poetry.
    3 Four weeks ago I stopped work as a lecturer/teacher, after nearly thirty years.
    4 One day desire or necessity may take me back to the heat of the classroom.
    5 some of the more unpleasant aspects of old age.
    -------------------
    Note: I wrote the above piece in the first month after I gave-up FT employment in April 1999.
    ----------------------------------------
    CLOSE TO HIS ARK

A poet appeases his original needs by learning to make works that seem to be all about his work and his life...then begins bothersome and exhilarating second level needs to go beyond himself and take on the otherness of the world, feeling, a world awash with love and tragedy. For me the two stages are inextricably intertwined through an enduring, unshakeable, indubitable community born in blood and beauty and alive today in these poems, this meaning.-Ron Price with thanks to Seamus Heaney, The Government of the Tongue, Faber and Faber, London, 1988, p.23.

I write about the new res publica,
    think of myself as first poet laureate
    of this ideal state given the finest,
    refinest, definition, by this Ancient
    Beauty, where the fragrances of mercy
    have been wafted over all created things.
    I carry this City in my brain as the voices
    of all created things slowly find the tones,
    the volume, the mode, the manner, the
    motive, the etiquette of expression. Trying
    to make it a poetic canopy, trustworthy,
    far from a perfect heaven, above my and
    your vulnerable heads, close to His Ark,
    enduring, unshakeable, indomitable.

Ron Price
    24 April 1998
    -------------------------
    End of Document
    Last edited by Ron Price; 09-01-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: to correct the paragraphing
    Ron Price is a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 42 years(in 2013). He is married to a Tasmanian and has been for 37 years after 8 years in a first marriage. At the age of 69 he now spends most of his time as an author and writer, poet and publisher. editor and researcher, online blogger, essayist, journalist and engaging in independent scholarship. He has been associated with the Baha'i Faith for 60 years and a member for 53 years.cool: