Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 435 of 469 FirstFirst ... 335385425430431432433434435436437438439440445 ... LastLast
Results 6,511 to 6,525 of 7033

Thread: Cold Ale - The Blokes' Thread!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    Sounds like clowns have become a current trend in your life Paul.
    Over here it's those gotdang Gnomes popping up everywhere.

Yeah - those crazy clowns. The clown tag thing was just coincidence.......or was it?.........

We, (the committee), went on an inspection of the allotment site today and noted the plots that needed tidying up, weren't cultivating 60% etc etc.

I have to send myself a letter now, as mine needs some tidying.

All that partying - see where it gets you.

Degenerate!
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Now that sounds like a happening thing. I'm a rebel, but I don't yell, I just get up front and purr portentously into the mike... Cool
    Your "Rebel" is the grease that'll make the wheels roll
    when we all collect to free our soul
    and swing on Frankenstein's furrowed field, dig?
    (get it?- dig -furrowed field)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Yeah - those crazy clowns. The clown tag thing was just coincidence.......or was it?.........

We, (the committee), went on an inspection of the allotment site today and noted the plots that needed tidying up, weren't cultivating 60% etc etc.

I have to send myself a letter now, as mine needs some tidying.
    As I alluded to above, I say we help our brother increase his yield by beating a path to Coventry and have an allotment party.
    I'm bringing Phillpa Fallon (note Uncle Fester tickling the ivory) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Sorry I was away for awhile guys, my dad died and I was feeling .... hum, sorry I had to visit my relatives...yep, that was it. He was an ornery old cuss who lived until he was 90, worked every day of his live, beat our tails even on Christmas until we were smart enough to move out.....good life....
    Now, visiting the relatives....that is painful...Do you all have your daddies or crazy relatives?

Ha!
    Sounds, remember Justin Wilson?
    Now that guy could whip up a mess of fine vittles and tall tale to boot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs
    I loved Justin, one time I made the mistake of following his recipe for Shrimp Gumbo...never had such a hot, greasy mess in my life...
    one sip...it sure was a wonderfully flavorful hot greasy mess...heaven until the pain hit my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Never liked circuses with animals - not that I'd been to many.

Those Cirque De Soleil people- entertaining and disturbing and awesome. A fine combination without the tackiness of the circuses of old.

No news about the job yet. They buggered up the online advert, and had to re-advertise it again. I've had mine submitted for three weeks now. We'll see. The longer it goes on, the less confident you feel.
    Yes, what is so disturbing about those people.
    I hate the way jobs do that now. What ever happened to the days when you went in and they hired you on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Good Lord, what a party!

I'm not fully recovered yet. I think somebody used my head as a bongo drum. I'm not quite sure what was real and what wasn't. Life was but a dream, yada-yada-yada....

Sorry 'bout the weather. Last weekend we had more thunder showers at Sancho's Farm than we've had in a long-long time. But hey, like they say in the army: if it ain't raining - we ain't training. (Also, Sancho's Farm isn't really a farm - it's just a few acres on which Sancho and his old lady planted a some pecan trees, strictly for tax purposes.)

At any rate, the rain didn't stop the Lit-Net's garage band. Fragmentation Nation brought down the house (or in this particular case, the barn). The final make-up of the band was: 3 guitars, a bass guitar, 2 banjos, a fiddle, a bull-bass fiddle, a trombone, a snare drum, some hand grenades, and a battery of 105mm Howitzers.

Of course the rain didn't stop the Pontani Sisters from perfectly pulsating their pectorals and giving El Sancho a partial panic attack.

The bean-ball challenge was a real hit. The North American team claimed victory, but then again, so did the British team. It was so muddy, it was hard to tell who was who.

Speaking of The Bean -

She seemed to be saying, "Uh, I wouldn't do that if I were you, Sancho." You see, the mosh pit was so muddy that we didn't need to go down to the lake to play Lake Idiot - we played Mosh-Pit Idiot instead. We modified the original game by leaping into the mosh pit from the hay loft. It went okay. I think.

What a weekend. So where is the next Annual Barn-Dance Barbecue and Book Club Party going to be?
    I'll tell you Sancho, I always wondered why I decided to stay down here and sweat 3/4 of the year and then get blown away by hurricanes the other 1/4; but our weather is starting to look pretty good compared to the rest of the US lately....
    We are having some nice rain and winds. Maybe we should catch one of those cheap summer flights and stay with one of the blokes in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by soundofmusic View Post
    Sorry I was away for awhile guys, my dad died and I was feeling .... hum, sorry I had to visit my relatives...yep, that was it. He was an ornery old cuss who lived until he was 90, worked every day of his live, beat our tails even on Christmas until we were smart enough to move out.....good life....
    Now, visiting the relatives....that is painful...Do you all have your daddies or crazy relatives?
    Lost mine over 30 years ago.

But all my living relatives are crazy!

Good to see you back.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Sorry to hear about your dad, Sounds.

Did ya ever see the movie, No Time For Sergeants? It's an old black-and-white film from the 50s. A very young Andy Griffith plays a country bumpkin who gets drafted into the Air Force - and has adventures. Anyway at one point he's taking a psychological test to see if he's mentally fit for the service (oddly enough the guy giving him the interview is played by Don Knotts)

Don - Your father...
    Andy - Yes?
    Don - Did he ever beat you?
    Andy (grinning) - And how! Ain't nobody can beat like my Pa.
    Don - So you hate your father.
    Andy - No, of course not.

You know, not so long ago I was down in your neck of the woods visiting an uncle who was dying. He'd had an explosive heart attack out on a boat dock, but somebody did CPR on him and the EMTs got there quickly, so he wound up lasting a week or so at a hospital up in Stuart. It was just long enough for most of the family to get there to say goodby. So we're running around and squaring things away, picking up people down at the PBI airport, shuttling cars around, getting hotel rooms, making sure everybody knows what happened - the usual stuff. I remember thinking, hey, Sounds lives around here; I oughtta PM her and see if she wants to meet for coffee. Then I thought, nah, probably better to keep on-line personalities on-line.

By the way, I can sympathize with 3/4 year sweatiness. It's sweaty around Hot-lanta too. Everybody sweats. I'm looking at a glass of iced tea right now that's sweating on a coaster. You know, out west, cold drinks don't sweat. Strange but true. I didn't believe it myself until I saw it with my own eyes.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    Lost mine over 30 years ago.

But all my living relatives are crazy!

Good to see you back.
    Thanks, Atheist, It's good to be back. Yeah, a while back I decided to meet some of the relatives I hadn't seen since I was a kid to see if they grew up all right...wow, after meeting the rest of my family, I was surprised I turned out half sane. Wow, you lost your dad when you were a kid. Who was around to give you beatings haha.

Sorry to hear about your dad, Sounds.

Did ya ever see the movie, No Time For Sergeants? It's an old black-and-white film from the 50s. A very young Andy Griffith plays a country bumpkin who gets drafted into the Air Force - and has adventures. Anyway at one point he's taking a psychological test to see if he's mentally fit for the service (oddly enough the guy giving him the interview is played by Don Knotts)

Don - Your father...
    Andy - Yes?
    Don - Did he ever beat you?
    Andy (grinning) - And how! Ain't nobody can beat like my Pa.
    Don - So you hate your father.
    Andy - No, of course not.

You know, not so long ago I was down in your neck of the woods visiting an uncle who was dying. He'd had an explosive heart attack out on a boat dock, but somebody did CPR on him and the EMTs got there quickly, so he wound up lasting a week or so at a hospital up in Stuart. It was just long enough for most of the family to get there to say goodby. So we're running around and squaring things away, picking up people down at the PBI airport, shuttling cars around, getting hotel rooms, making sure everybody knows what happened - the usual stuff. I remember thinking, hey, Sounds lives around here; I oughtta PM her and see if she wants to meet for coffee. Then I thought, nah, probably better to keep on-line personalities on-line.

By the way, I can sympathize with 3/4 year sweatiness. It's sweaty around Hot-lanta too. Everybody sweats. I'm looking at a glass of iced tea right now that's sweating on a coaster. You know, out west, cold drinks don't sweat. Strange but true. I didn't believe it myself until I saw it with my own eyes.
    It's funny, my dad really liked that movie and really liked Andy. I'll have to watch it again.
    Well if you ever get down the Ft Lauderdale area, you be sure to give us a holler. Me and Silent would both love to meet you....
    It's too bad we can't meet all the fellows around here. I think we are all a pretty nice group and I'm sure we would be the same in person. Well, as long as they aren't expecting me to look as sexy as my picture....I'm still sexy; but I've gained about 70 pounds and a lot of gray hair.

It's been a bit better here lately, raining every day. Of course, I don't feel like doing anything when it rains.. Cold drinks don't sweat huh...I wonder if they do in England...how about it guys. I remember when I visited England, I was surprised how dry it was. I always feel sticky in South Florida, like I need to shower every time I wash dishes or sweep; there, I could walk a mile and feel fresh.

Oh, Stuart is about 3 hours north of me, nice area though.

Ah hah! For some reason I thought you were up near Palm Beach.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that a glass of iced tea would sweat in England (that is, of course, if the English had the sense to ice their tea). It's got to do with temperature/dew-point spread. So if there's only a couple of degrees of difference between the air temp and the saturation point of the air, the glass will sweat. Out in the Mohave Desert where the temp can be 100 degrees Fahrenheit while the dew point is around 20 degrees, the glass won't sweat. I thought it was odd the first time I saw it. I assumed the drink wasn't cold because the glass didn't have dew on it. Weird. Around here when it's 85 degrees the dew point can be 82 - icky-sticky. "Good Lowered and Sweet Jaysus, Ah need a Mint Julep, Ah buleve Ah am gettin' tha vapors."

Blog Entries
    Mad dogs and Englishmen drink their tea piping hot in summer and then THEY sweat.
    ay up

Ah hah! For some reason I thought you were up near Palm Beach.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that a glass of iced tea would sweat in England (that is, of course, if the English had the sense to ice their tea). It's got to do with temperature/dew-point spread. So if there's only a couple of degrees of difference between the air temp and the saturation point of the air, the glass will sweat. Out in the Mohave Desert where the temp can be 100 degrees Fahrenheit while the dew point is around 20 degrees, the glass won't sweat. I thought it was odd the first time I saw it. I assumed the drink wasn't cold because the glass didn't have dew on it. Weird. Around here when it's 85 degrees the dew point can be 82 - icky-sticky. "Good Lowered and Sweet Jaysus, Ah need a Mint Julep, Ah buleve Ah am gettin' tha vapors."
    Laudy, I'm a bringin that Julep as fas as ah can....Well, don't understand a thing about dew points. All I know is that today, when I visited the laundry, my pants were stickin to my waist and other places I wont mention. Why do we have to have parts of our body that hang down and stick to other parts. Then, as we get older, even our eyelids and chins start hanging down....
    Silent says we should move to a cold climate.

You know, come to think of it, Stuart may only be an hour and a half...that's the Kennedys that live in Palm Beach, I live near the BeeGees...or where they used to live....on the wrong side of the railroad tracks from them.
    Between Miami and Ft Lauderdale....a stones throw from where the liquor store used to be where uncle Jimmy John shot himself...

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Mad dogs and Englishmen drink their tea piping hot in summer and then THEY sweat.
    I hear hot tea keeps you cool; wouldn't know, I drink my tea in the a/c.
    Do you all drink anything cold?

Well, I've just rented the downtown Abbey series and I've got my tissues next to me...ready to cry some more...You English have some great tv...

Silent says we should move to a cold climate.
    Brrrr. Whatever you do, don't do that.

One thing I have noticed is that tolerance for cold decreases with age. What you need to lose is the humidity.

That Mojave Desert sounds like the place!

Anon

In my opinion, the deserts of the Southwestern United States are wonderful and beautiful places, also they are vicious and hazardous places. I've lived in the Mojave Desert in Southern California and in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona.

The Mojave (Mo-HAH-vee) is mostly high-desert (3000 feet elevation, plus or minus) and consequently it tends to have cool evenings, even after blistering-hot days. For me it has a distinctive smell, particularly early in the morning. Once you experience it, you will never forget it. It's sort of tangy and sage-like and I think it comes from the creosote plants. I love the smell of the Mojave in the morning. Every once in a while the climate will hit a sweet spot and an entire hillside will cover itself in a carpet of desert flowers for a few days, yellow, blue, shades of purple, usually just one color at a time. The seeds may have been lying dormant for years, waiting for that magic combination of moisture and temperature to germinate, and then - voila - it's party-time.

The Mojave also is home to these little fellers:

The Mojave-Green Rattlesnake has a particularly potent venom, and as I understand it, their venom has a neurotoxin and a hemotoxin. But what makes them especially dangerous is their aggressiveness. An Air Force Survival Instructor told me that the Mojave Green displays unusual behavior for a snake - it's territorial. So the hapless desert wanderer (or unfortunate downed pilot, crawling away from the wreckage) who happens to violate the Green's territory - will be attacked.

I like a critter with gumption.

The Sonoran Desert by contrast is mostly low desert. I remember days in Tucson where it'd hit 120 degrees Fahrenheit in the afternoon and by midnight it'd only cooled down to a 100 or so. But as they say - "it's a dry heat." Even on the hottest days there, I never got sweaty. I sweated, but I was never sweaty; it evaporated too quickly. To me it felt prickly all over. Every pore of my body would perspire, but then would immediately evaporate, and a thousand tiny beads of sweat became a thousand tiny evaporative coolers and felt like a thousand little pin-pricks.

At any rate, a good book about the Desert Southwest is: Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey. I'd go so far as to say it's a great book, one of El Sancho's favorites.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    l...Do you all have your daddies or crazy relatives?
    Sorry to hear of your loss Sounds.
    I lost both parents when somewhat young-mother in 1988 and dad in '91, but I still have my four older siblings and yes they/ we are crazy as evidenced by what I've shared over the past few years on here.

....You know, out west, cold drinks don't sweat. Strange but true. I didn't believe it myself until I saw it with my own eyes.
    I've travelled west enough to confirm, except for that one time in Gallup New Mexico.
    It was sometime back in the '70's we were eating at a diner off of Old Route 66 when a bus pulled up outside.
    Sophia Loren walks in, my adolescent shorts started to dance, but what's more amazing was to see ice water glasses slipping from the patrons hands.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Sorry to hear of your loss Sounds.
    I lost both parents when somewhat young-mother in 1988 and dad in '91, but I still have my four older siblings and yes they/ we are crazy as evidenced by what I've shared over the past few years on here.

Kinda looks like she's trying to shmoosh 'em together to make one great big one.

I've travelled west enough to confirm, except for that one time in Gallup New Mexico.
    It was sometime back in the '70's we were eating at a diner off of Old Route 66 when a bus pulled up outside.
    Sophia Loren walks in, my adolescent shorts started to dance, but what's more amazing was to see ice water glasses slipping from the patrons hands.

Kinda looks like she's trying to shmoosh 'em together to make one great big one.