Thread: Wicca

Lost in my own dimension

Wicca

What's wicca like?

Blog Entries
    I dunno, really.

Is it Pan worship? Witchcraft?

Blog Entries
    I've read very few books about wicca; it's very different from what others typify it as.. They believe in Goddesses, and their rituals are quite interesting. They believe in peace and harmony, and they adore nature and its cycles. Their beliefs are based on the pre-christian rituals of worship that they try to recreate. I, too, want to know more about Wicca..

Hello, I am new to Literature Network, but felt compelled to respond to the question pertaining to Wicca. I'd like to give a little of my background on the subject if I could. I have been claiming Paganism for close to half my life, however do not consider myself anywhere close to being an "expert" on the subject. I do take the opportunity to educate others regarding it and consider myself a perpetual student of the subject.

Wicca is a "subcategory" of Paganism. Paganism in its most basic form is a religion that is not Christian (but not anti-Christian, mind you), and in some cases pre-dates Christianity. It could be described as an Earth based religion rooted heavily in the beliefs of the tribal peoples of Europe (or even world-wide, depending upon the pantheon one chooses, if they choose).

Wicca itself prescribes mainly to a Goddess as a central deity, but more often than not, also includes a God as her consort. Both would be revered equally, one does not hold dominion over the other. These deities are often personified by the Sun and the Moon, but also as Mother Earth and the Life she supports. The focus is the duality of nature.

There is much debate as to how Wicca and Paganism were started. Some believe that Wicca and Paganism practiced today are the rebirth of ancient beliefs held by our ancestors. While others believe (and some try to discredit Wicca and Paganism as such) that they were started by a gentleman by the name of Gerald Gardener in the early to mid part of the 20th century. As for me, it's a connection with all there is, I wish I could describe it more adequately, but that is the best way I can describe what it is to me.

As far as literature on the subject, Paganism is enjoying a great renaissance, there is so much out there regarding the subject. But, my advice is to read it all and take it with a grain of salt. Make your own decisions and trust your instincts. I started out with Laurie Cabot's The Power of the Witch. I would also suggest nearly anything by Scott Cunningham, as well.

I hope this helps answer any questions there may be regarding Wicca and Paganism, and I'm always happy to answer more and educate as much as possible regarding that subject

Blog Entries
    "I dare not sleep for delight of the perfect hour,
    Lest God be wroth that his gift should be scorned of man.
    The face of the warm bright world is the face of a flower, 10
    The word of the wind and the leaves that the light winds fan
    As the word that quickened at first into flame, and ran,
    Creative and subtle and fierce with invasive power,
    Through darkness and cloud, from the breath of the one God, Pan."

Swinburne, Nympholept

I actually don't know anything about the religion, but it appeals to me very much. Are fauns, druids or dryads part of it at all?

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

Read a good encyclopedia.
    Last edited by Pendragon; 12-23-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Nobody wants to hear ny words
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    "I dare not sleep for delight of the perfect hour,
    Lest God be wroth that his gift should be scorned of man.
    The face of the warm bright world is the face of a flower, 10
    The word of the wind and the leaves that the light winds fan
    As the word that quickened at first into flame, and ran,
    Creative and subtle and fierce with invasive power,
    Through darkness and cloud, from the breath of the one God, Pan."

Swinburne, Nympholept

I actually don't know anything about the religion, but it appeals to me very much. Are fauns, druids or dryads part of it at all?
    I once had a book on Faery Wicca - I think there is a Faery Tarot as well.

I read a little about it, and you can be a lone practitioner of Wicca or you can find a circle of like minded people. I never heard of any rituals that HAD to be done - there was no getting naked or any of that. There are a lot of texts about it and it was my understanding that there isn't one set of set rituals or ways to go about the practice.

Here is the Wiccan Rede (sounds a lot like the Golden Rule to me):

An it harm none, do as thou wilt
    Do what you will, so long as it harms none
    An it harm none, do what thou wilt
    That it harm none, do as thou wilt
    Last edited by Shalot; 12-19-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post

Here is the Wiccan Rede (sounds a lot like the Golden Rule to me):

An it harm none, do as thou wilt
    Do what you will, so long as it harms none
    An it harm none, do what thou wilt
    That it harm none, do as thou wilt
    Deleted, folks...
    Last edited by Pendragon; 12-23-2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Nobody wants to hear my words
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie

Blog Entries
    Just out of Curiosity, if you are Wicca, what does this form of paganism involve exactly?
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Sounds like Alestier Crowley and the Order of the Golden Dawn to me.

Crowley's big statement from the Book of Thoth: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

The golden rule: "Do under others as you would have them do unto you."

This is a big difference. "Do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else" versus "Treat other people in the way you want to be treated."

I love basketball, and I tell you, if I were playing and had my choice of the two rules, I'd pick the Golden Rule. Most of the time we used to play in the pick-up game after the first rule: do what thou wilt as long as it doesn't hurt." No blood, no foul. They were exciting games but I got hurt badly serverl times.

God Bless

Pen

I am not Wiccan and I have no vested interest in defending it at all, but
    I really don't know what point you are making by stating the above. In my mind the Golden Rule and this shortened version of the Wiccan Rede are quite similar. If someone is going to do unto me, I'd rather not be HARMED by their actions and I think the Wiccan Rede covers that for me. Longer versions of the rede mention that whatever you send out, (good or evil) comes back to you three fold. That to me sounds like "do unto others as you'd have done to you."

This thread is supposed to be about Wicca. What is it exactly? I have read a few books about it and have heard many people scoff at the notion of it. Also, there are a lot of different ways to practice, and from what I have read many different approaches. If you visit a new age store, (one that sells crystals and candles and all that jazz), you can find a variety of books - you can find books about Native American Spirituality, and Celtic Faery traditions, and different kinds of Tarot to appeal to different personalities. There are books on Candle Spells, and witches almanacs, and it was my loose understanding that you could proclaim to be Wicca and use any of the spell work and candles and symbols and meditation practices as you identified with them. You can be a solitary practioner and have your own little initiation rite. Or you can become part of a group and I am sure they have their own rituals.

I think those Native American books just get lumped in there at the New Age store with the Wicca stuff because neither are Christian. Although, I did see a Native American themed Tarot. I never saw Aleister Crowley's books at the New Age spirtuality store though. I associate him with the more sinister, occultish, black magick, left hand path but I could be totally off base there as well. I never read any Crowley.
    Last edited by Shalot; 12-20-2007 at 07:44 PM.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Silence is golden
    Last edited by Pendragon; 12-23-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Nobody wants to hear my words.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie

Blog Entries
    well good. What a small world it is. does anyone know anything else about Wicca?

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries

General Mod note

Please remember to respect other people's religions, beliefs and opinions.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

The golden rule: "Do under others as you would have them do unto you."

This is a big difference. "Do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else" versus "Treat other people in the way you want to be treated."

I love basketball, and I tell you, if I were playing and had my choice of the two rules, I'd pick the Golden Rule. Most of the time we used to play in the pick-up game after the first rule: do what thou wilt as long as it doesn't hurt." No blood, no foul. They were exciting games but I got hurt badly serverl times.
    You're right, there is a difference but it is more in favour of the creed than the golden rule.

I disagree with your analogy it is not an example of the "do as thou wilt as long as it doesnt harm" harm/hurt is not just related to causing blood any hard fouls causing any injury would go against the creed. In fact I see your analogy as far more an example of the golden rule where someone has decided they want to play more competitively and expect all others to wish the same.

To me the "golden rule" has an incredible flaw. I, personally, enjoy some degree of physical pain (it's all about the adrenalin) however the golden rule could be easily interpreted as saying that because I enjoy ithe and have no issue (in fact even enjoy it) that I have a right to also cause pain to others - something which is not the case and would go against the wiccan creed.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Blog Entries
    dOhh man, wiccan is like the smile in the shadow...the blessings in the sun, the pie in the sky////and its OK...to love, live and smile is their way....Peace..Happy Holidays. B

PS...and kilt, the pain is the lesson....love ya my shrek look a like...
    Last edited by B-Mental; 12-22-2007 at 04:34 AM.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast