Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Join an Online Forum?

Why Join an Online Forum?

Hello All - I need your help!

I am doing a Creative Non-Fiction writing class as part of my Masters program and have chosen to write a feature article on online forums. Specifically, as this thread title suggests: why join an online forum as opposed to, say, talking face to face with like-minded people etc.

We all do things for different reasons, often assuming our reasoning is the same as everyone else's. I am curious as to why so many of us choose to be active participants on online forums. Where does the desire and ultimately the satisfaction come from? I have some theories, and reasons of my own, but would like a more 'global' perspective, hence my sending out this request!

I am very interested in reading your thoughts.

Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    There is no global perspective, no homo sapien sapien, only homo sapien computerus. Make sure you put that in your report. Thank you.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

Blog Entries
    Because i can't talk to someone who say, lives in Africa, about their opinion on zebras, face to face.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by faithalina View Post
    Hello All - I need your help!

I am doing a Creative Non-Fiction writing class as part of my Masters program and have chosen to write a feature article on online forums. Specifically, as this thread title suggests: why join an online forum as opposed to, say, talking face to face with like-minded people etc.

We all do things for different reasons, often assuming our reasoning is the same as everyone else's. I am curious as to why so many of us choose to be active participants on online forums. Where does the desire and ultimately the satisfaction come from? I have some theories, and reasons of my own, but would like a more 'global' perspective, hence my sending out this request!

I am very interested in reading your thoughts.
    the thing about forums is you do find like minded people, perhaps not face to face, but who can boast a neighborhood of people that are like minded in real life? We are all drawn here by that one word.."literature."
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's not like you can walk around with a sign hanging around your neck that says
    " Do not talk to me if you do not read Steinbeck "

With the exception of me. I do that quite often.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    Yeah, it's not like you can walk around with a sign hanging around your neck that says
    " Do not talk to me if you do not read Steinbeck "

With the exception of me. I do that quite often.
    lol. I do it too. doesn't make for a nice meet up at the local grocery.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

The forum allows us to wear a mask, to crawl out of our skin knowing that the many won't turn away, but turn toward. It's as close as you can get to being the sun shining on down your golden horns. And on blue days you can forget them and forum members won't notice, because you're the sun shining down your golden horns.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."

Blog Entries
    ^ Disagree.
    This forum allows people to be themselves.

100 % NERDY.

Nerd by day, gangster by night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1jt View Post
    The forum allows us to wear a mask, to crawl out of our skin knowing that the many won't turn away, but turn toward. It's as close as you can get to being the sun shining on down your golden horns. And on blue days you can forget them and forum members won't notice, because you're the sun shining down your golden horns.

well, apparently forums mean different things to different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Riesa View Post
    well, apparently forums mean different things to different people.
    Read Carl Jung that book'll have you slapping your own a ss with a pink hand (and as s) and saying, "Why Riesa dear it's time to start hauling these things (thoughts) out this summer and planting---more lavender, more daisies. Only tattoos are permanent. And no more f*****g pretending to be dead!"

Blog Entries
    You are hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    You are hilarious

I'm not sick but I'm not well.

Blog Entries
    I'm not crazy i'm just a little unwell right now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1jt View Post
    Read Carl Jung that book'll have you slapping your own a ss with a pink hand (and as s) and saying, "Why Riesa dear it's time to start hauling these things (thoughts) out this summer and planting---more lavender, more daisies. Only tattoos are permanent. And no more f*****g pretending to be dead!"
    stop drinking so much of the dandelion wine, Jon, try reading some cookbooks.

Blog Entries
    I think, along with limajean's reasons, I joined the forum for gaining new insights from people all over the world about a certain literary issue or work, instead of just using research or essays written on the topic. Also, it is a place where one can share his or her work with others... a way of leaving something behind. Of being read. Of being valued. Perhaps there is some vanity in it, or the everlasting human desire for immortality.

Maybe this forum makes us feel more important. Like we belong. Like we are not alone. Like our ideas and opinions are going to be validated, and thus our existence is validated.

(hehe, when I reread some of that, it sounds like I am talking about religion)

but there are a multitude of reasons... and limajean, I agree that we can be ourselves here, but there is also a sense of anonimity. We reveal only as much as we want. And this shroud of mystery is kind of nice as well... and the ability to retreat whenever one wants, or come back. Or observe. or participate. I don't HAVE to ever answer a post or message. I have choice. More freedom in expression than with someone face to face. It's an escape from reality sometimes...
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast