Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: who's your favorite poet? why?

Question who's your favorite poet? why?

hi there

Who is\are your favorite poet\s? Why?

Blog Entries
    Poe. Classic, dark, disturbing, evil, beautiful.
    Everyone knows what's in room 101.

Everything becomes irrelevant, when the sky tears open.

"Hey Kevin." "What?" "Theres a ditch there." "Sh*t!"

Quote Originally Posted by kevinthediltz View Post
    Poe. Classic, dark, disturbing, evil, beautiful.
    i agree, actually he's one of my favorites.
    but i really like robert frost. he uses easy words but with deep meaning. actually, i think i don't simply like frost, ilove him. i love his poems.
    Last edited by rossette; 04-08-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It really depends on what mood I'm in... perhaps a shortlist would be more appropriate?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    ee cummings
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Sylvia Plath

Giacomo Leopardi, because he I think was the greatest of pessimists, and certainly the most effective one writing with lyrics. There's also the power of his words, especially in the Italian, which is staggering - I didn't think Italian poetry could convey those things, because the language feels too cheery, but he somehow pulls it off better than anyone could do in English.

My favourite poet is kalidas. He was a great Sanskrit poet, and indeed he was a matchless poet. His style of writing or composing poems was really unique, and hardly any poet of that measure have been born. I have read poems of different languages, Greek, French, English, Germany, but none of the poets could ascend to an extent he had, and there was a blend of everything in his poetries, of course superbly beautiful.

I am indeed moved. I am not good at Sanskrit, but even chanting Sanskrit poems without understanding their meanings you can immerse yourself in a world that was kind of full of fancies and imaginations.

In Meghadut Kalidahs transcended all limits, boundaries, and he rose above all these heights. In this epic he characterized a person who companioned even a cloud and he has been a messenger or an emissary for him. He has animated even inanimated beings. This is indeed something touchingly beautiful.

There is no scale to measure the depth and intensity of his poems and he was really a great poet.

He has not been adequately publicized or to put it differently, the way Greek and Latin poets were praised he or Sanskrit poets were not praised or published.
    Of course we know that Sanskrit is the source language, and the most beautiful language. This is often said to be a scientific language.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Yes Blaze of Glory, though I think more people will have better luck finding things about him by adding a's to the end of things, like Kalidasa instead of Kalidas, and Maghaduta, etc. I know Penguin put out a volume of two of his poems, and one of his plays, but as it is, he's hard to find in English.

Wordsworth I think. Maybe part of that choice is my own sentimentality, but I love and appreciate Wordsworth’s deep connection with nature all the same. He carries his love to the extreme so that nature becomes a healer and teacher to the faults of mankind, and makes perfect sense because of it really.

I love his simple little pieces, which is of course part of the Wordsworth style, for example I love the idea of the poems ‘To the Daisy; and ‘To the Same Flower’ (partially quoted below) though they are nothing much really, even compared to other Wordsworth poems. For it might as well say “I have seen all that mankind is capable of and have rejected that in favour of the simplicity of nature” because after all to live in harmony with nature ultimately means living in harmony with oneself.

I particularly love ‘Tintern Abbey’ as a short piece, the idea of Lyrical Ballads and dipping into the Prelude at random. I might even have to do the tourist thing this summer and visit his houses which are now museums to his name. Bit silly really, but a good excuse to get out to the lakes all the same, besides I enjoy doing stuff like that anyway.

T.S. Eliot. Difficulty and obscurity aside, I find his poetry to be some of the most affecting work I have ever read.

Blog Entries
    Robert Burns...
    I love his perspective of the most common of things...

To a Louse
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

There is so much wonderful poetry out there...but i think my favourite poet is Percy Shelley. I first read his poem "To a Skylark" when i was ten, and i fell in love with it. Nearly ten years after first reading it, i still notice different aspects and nuances - and i feel the same way about so much of his other poetry. His essays are very interesting, too - he was a great thinker as well as a poet.

I really like Robert Browning's poetry as well.

Yes Shelley is an interesting one I think, great poet. I get the impression that he would have been a very interesting person to meet too, highly passionate and wild in everything he did.

His poetry to me is so very musical and flowing, so much so that I often get carried away with it and I don't even take in what I am reading half the time! He's one of the only writers that I can read half-drunk and lose nothing for it for that reason.

Yes, i agree - there is flowing, lyric feel about Shelley's poetry, isn't there? This probably sounds an odd way to describe it, but i feel there is an intimacy about his poetry too - it's so unashamedly emotional. Like i said, i've always been able to enjoy and relate to his poetry. I read poetry from many different poets and genres, but Shelley remains my favourite

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast