Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Italian Earthquake

Blog Entries

Italian Earthquake

My prayers go to the people of central Italy who have suffered from this devasting earthquake.

Italian earthquake: more than 150 dead, Silvio Berlusconi confirms
    By Richard Holt and Gordon Rayner

Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister, has confirmed that more than 150 people were killed and 1,500 injured in the earthquake which hit central Italy in the early hours of Monday morning.

Italian earthquake: more than 150 dead, Silvio Berlusconi confirms
    Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister, has confirmed that more than 150 people were killed and 1,500 injured in the earthquake which hit central Italy in the early hours of Monday morning.

By Richard Holt and Gordon Rayner
    Last Updated: 11:38PM BST 06 Apr 2009

Previous1 of 5 ImagesNext Firefighters search for survivors through the rubble of a collapsed building in L'Aquila Photo: AP
    Photo: AP
    Rescuers sift through the wreckage of a house in Onna, central Italy Photo: REUTERS
    A street is damaged following the earthquake which hit early in L'Aquila, central Italy Photo: EPA

More than 5,000 rescue workers continued the search for survivors into a second night after the 6.3 magnitude quake hit the Abruzzo region at 3.32am on Monday.

After working in heavy rain during the day, the rescuers scoured collapsed buildings in the medieval town of L'Aquila, the regional capital at the epicentre of the earthquake. Emergency services said 60 people had been pulled alive from the rubble.

Expert's earthquake warnings dismissed as scaremongering Up to 50,000 people have been left homeless in the town, around 60 miles north-east of Rome, and in the surrounding villages, with up to 15,000 buildings destroyed or damaged beyond repair.

Mr Berlusconi declared a state of emergency in the region and cancelled a trip to Russia in order to visit L'Aquila.

He said 30 million euros (£27m) had been earmarked to help the region. [SNIP]
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-confirms.html

LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Virgil, I just saw this online and watched a video. It is just awful. My prayers also go out the families involved. It's so sad. Do you have any relatives in that area?
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Oh, I just read about it, too, but had no idea of that much damage! Ugh, my thoughts go out to them that no further damage will happen and that they will cope effectively. How awful!

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Those poor people. I really hope the death toll doesn't increase too much...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    When I heard the news yesterday only 90 were confirmed dead at the time, now it's 150! My thoughts are with everyone involved, I can't imagine what it's like having your whole world come tumbling down - literally.

edit: just checked the guardian website - 179 killed!
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Blog Entries
    Even more shocking than the italy eathquake is this incident I heard on the news yesterday - caution: scary stuff!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6048032.ece
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Blog Entries
    My sister is living in Rome right now so I was obviously worried... but Rome did not get hit as bad obviously, since it is 60km from the epicenter. I send my thoughts out to everyone, hoping that a larger earthquake (or any) will not occur again... though there have been two after shocks.

and so many people homeless! ahhh, nature can be so destructive and beautiful...creation and destruction all in one.
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake