Thread: Good intro. to Chekhov??

Good intro. to Chekhov??

I've read some stories by Chekhov in the past (a very long time ago), but I never really took to them. However, I've heard enough raving about Chekhov on this site, that I would like to try to revisit his work. Does anyone have recommendations on where I should start? What stories/novels do you consider to be particularly good representations of his work?

Thanks for your help.

Banned
    Chekhov is one of my favorite authors. Pevear and Volokhonsky have translated some of his stories and the volume is available online.

I like:

Easter Night
    Sleepy
    In Ward 6
    The Black Monk
    Rothschild's Fiddle
    Gooseberries
    The Lady With the Little Dog

I'm especially partial to "The Kiss," and unfortunately, it isn't in this volume. There is an older translation that does contain it, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissScarlett View Post
    Chekhov is one of my favorite authors. Pevear and Volokhonsky have translated some of his stories and the volume is available online.

I like:

Easter Night
    Sleepy
    In Ward 6
    The Black Monk
    Rothschild's Fiddle
    Gooseberries
    The Lady With the Little Dog

I'm especially partial to "The Kiss," and unfortunately, it isn't in this volume. There is an older translation that does contain it, though.
    I love "The Kiss", too. It is a sweet story. We read the ones I bolded up in our entry and discussed them extensively in the Chekhov SS thread. I love the story on my CD set:

The Trousseau

We have a Chekhov Short Story thread that is ongoing. We just took a few ;months break, but should start it up soon again; probably by May. I will provide the link to it in here tomorrow. Hope you two can join in, when it begins again. We get so much more out of the stories when we discuss them.

I recently read Chekhov's early play "Ivanov"... interesting play. Kenneth Branagh just played it on stage in the West End, London; it was a great success. That inspired me to read the play. I want to read more of Chekhov's plays. Maybe sometime in the near future, we can discuss his plays in a new thead.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Thanks for the reccommendations! I will get busy reading; I was able to find "The Kiss" online at University of Pennsylvania's free online library (http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu).