Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Truly great short stories

I've always liked "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. Morbid, but I like the way the plot is presented.

"A Rose for Emily" is good too but I can't remember the author right now.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That reminds me..."The Outcasts of Poker Flat" is pretty good.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Blog Entries
    Here's some off the top of my head:

Hemingway, "The Gambler, the Nun, and The Radio
    Crane, "The Blue Hotel" and "The Open Boat"
    D.H. Lawrence, "The Woman Who Rode Away"
    Joyce, "The Sisters"
    Checkov, "The Girl with the Toy Dog" (?) or something like that.
    Conrad, "Youth"
    Fiztgerald, "Bernice Bobs Her Hair"

Anyway, these are ones that stick out from memory.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Oh, I love Bernice Bobs her Hair,

But what about Raymond Carver?
    Tiger, Tiger,(I like your username) almost anything by him.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Everyday Use, Alice Walker
    Taking Care, Joy Williams
    The Horse Dealer's Daughter, DHL
    The Lady with the Pet Dog, Chekhov
    What We Talk About When We Talk About Love/A Small Thing - Raymond Carver
    The Chrysanthemums, John Steinbeck
    I Stand Here Ironing, Tillie Olsen
    Blue Winds Dancing, Tom Whitecloud
    A Worn Path, Eudora Welty
    Soldier's Home, Hemingway
    A&P, Updike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riesa
    Oh, I love Bernice Bobs her Hair,

But what about Raymond Carver?
    Tiger, Tiger,(I like your username) almost anything by him.

I was trying to think of a Carver story, but I couldn't remember any titles. There was a particular story that sticks out of a blind man. Anyone recall that one?

Correction from me:
    Checkov, "The Girl with the Toy Dog" (?) or something like that.
    I knew it wasn't quite right.

From byquist:
    The Lady with the Pet Dog, Chekhov
    Thanks.

But you say
    The Chrysanthemums, John Steinbeck
    Wasn't that a D.H. Lawrence story? Or do they both have one with the same title?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Cathedral, By Raymond Carver. That's the one about the blind man.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Blog Entries
    As one who has dabbled in the great art of short story writing many times now, I believe that length is turly the least important thing about the short story. A short story should focus on style just as much as a novel does. In fact, the spearation between a short story and a novel (and this can be seen by comparing short stories and novels of the same author) is simply that a short story contains less events. Although less time consuming, a short story should be written in the same frame of mind as a novel; in terms of structure, character development and such. The primary goal of the short story however, should be to entertain the reader quicker than you could in a novel. But other than that, a short story requires just as much planning and thought.

Personally, my favourite is "The Happy Prince" by Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riesa
    Cathedral, By Raymond Carver. That's the one about the blind man.
    Thanks Reisa, you're right. That was a very moving story. I've have to reread it, if I could find it. You know, in my 44 years of life, I've almost never thrown any book out. It feels sacriligous to do so.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

don't know , but maybe these should fit
    The Withered arm by Thomas Hardy
    The bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson
    The kiss by Antov chekhov
    Keeping his Promise by Algernon Blackwood

Irish writer Frank O'Connor wrote a book of literary analysis on the short story; it's called The Lonely Voice. It's a pretty interesting read if you can get your hands on a copy.

"If it is honorable for you to disturb the dead, I shall consider it an honor and will make it my ambition to disturb your living." - Captain Miles Hazzard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Thanks Reisa, you're right. That was a very moving story. I've have to reread it, if I could find it. You know, in my 44 years of life, I've almost never thrown any book out. It feels sacriligous to do so.

I'm right there with you Virgil. My mom recently sent some of my books she found in a box of my stuff from my childhood. It's so wonderful to pass them along to my children. I remember them so well even thouht I haven't seen them for years and years. My husband thinks I'm nuts, that I should use the library, It's just not the same, is it.

you are completely right dear Riesa. the books from our childhood with all our thoughts and dreams invisibly covering each page is magic to the next generation if we help them have eyes to see. Some of them have become very politically incorrect but I don't give a fig about that . I merely explain what has changed and let my children enter in to that time and space and judge for themselves. I kept certain toys as well.
    This Christmas baby Hasia will wear a beautiful dress that belonged to a family member twenty years ago. It fits her like a glove and when you compare the two pictures of the two girls there is such a connection. Also I make dolls, soft ones that can bend etc and I sew each strand of hair on seperately so the child can do things with the hair and never see a bald spot. when these are passed down it is a part of me that will watch over that new little one and kiss him/her with kisses of love.
    I think you are a SPLENDID mother Riesa. As for your dear husband - give him a kiss on his dear head , perhaps it will stimulate his brain cells so he will see what you see and learn something.

"In the Ravine" by Chekhov is a must read
    "Three Strangers" by Thomas Hardy
    "The Pit and the Pendulum" by Poe

"The Dream of a Ridiculous Man" by Dostoevsky, even though he was not a short story writer, may be my favorite short story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    you are completely right dear Riesa. the books from our childhood with all our thoughts and dreams invisibly covering each page is magic to the next generation if we help them have eyes to see. Some of them have become very politically incorrect but I don't give a fig about that . I merely explain what has changed and let my children enter in to that time and space and judge for themselves. I kept certain toys as well.
    This Christmas baby Hasia will wear a beautiful dress that belonged to a family member twenty years ago. It fits her like a glove and when you compare the two pictures of the two girls there is such a connection. Also I make dolls, soft ones that can bend etc and I sew each strand of hair on seperately so the child can do things with the hair and never see a bald spot. when these are passed down it is a part of me that will watch over that new little one and kiss him/her with kisses of love.
    I think you are a SPLENDID mother Riesa. As for your dear husband - give him a kiss on his dear head , perhaps it will stimulate his brain cells so he will see what you see and learn something.
    Rachel, You have a heart-stopping way of putting things. I'm in awe of your beautiful way with words.

I have a picture of my mom holding me as a newborn, I'm wearing this little red dress. My mom kept the dress all of these years so when my daughter was born, I put her in the same dress and we recreated the picture. My hair is a little less bouffant, but the similarity is there. I've kept this dress along with a couple of Daphne's other baby dresses so maybe someday this tradition can continue. As for my dear husband, he collects tools, and I give him the same 'is it really necessary' look. We kiss each other tolerantly on the forehead often!

__________________________________________________ _____________

OH Yes, Short stories:

You may think they are for adolescents but some of my favorite short stories are by Ray Bradbury. He deserves mention.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast