Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anime, anybody?

Blog Entries

Question Anime, anybody?

I never used to be a big fan of anime, either series or films, until quite recently. Many have an amazing, intriguing art style, complex plots, loveable, memorable characters, and a style of humour not found anywhere else (including hillarious subtitle mis-translations).

I'm curious to know if anybody else here is a fan, or has even watched some, and to point out some of my favorites:

Azumanga Daoih
    (HILLARIOUS! Not really >about< anything in particular, but every episode has it's laughs, even if they're just 'What... the hell?' laughs. The theme song alone is enough to bring forth chuckles, and we tend to become very involved with the characters, particularily Miss Sakaki (at least, myself...)

Trigun
    (COMPLEX. The art style is FANTASTIC and, as far as I'm concerned, unmatched. The main character, Vash the Stampede, is revealed to be a much deeper character than we first assumed, and the plot takes unexpected twists and turns. My MOM loves this one, and we watched the entire series in three days. Has more than it's share of laughter.)

Hellsing

Paprika

Millenium Actress

Tekkonkinkreet
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

Blog Entries
    In the last couple of years i've really gotten into the Studio Ghibli movies. They are expensive to buy so i dont get one very often but theses are the ones i've seen

Howls Moving Castle
    Spirited Away
    Tales from Earthsea
    Whisper of the Heart
    The Cat Returns
    Princess Mononoke.

I've a load more on my Amazon wish list that i need to get.
    I hated Pokemon.
    But i enjoyed Cardcapters.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Wink Hayao Miyazaki

I have watched Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke recently, and thinking to watch again. Especially some scenes are cryptic and paradoxical. I really enjoyed. I recommend Princess Mononoke to watch firstly.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah probably a good time to point out that Whisper of the Heart should be watched before the Cat Returns...
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

spiritus ubi vult spirat weltanschauung's Avatar
    spirited away and howls moving castle are awesome, theyre also on google video, along with nausicaa of the valley of the wind. i never found Tekkonkinkreet but i have the soundtrack, its pretty good.

howls moving castle

spirited away

nausicaa of the valley of the wind

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add me to the list of Hayao Miyazaki fans. Watched Spirited Away for the umpteenth time last night. Love Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro (but not Pom Poko, Pom Poko was ). Also a fan of Astroboy, but not seen really any of the other anime series as they don't show them on British TV, sadly (well, except for a little of Ghost in the Shell which was pretty cool too.).
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

spiritus ubi vult spirat weltanschauung's Avatar
    ive never seen ghost in the shell, but i have this U2 soundtrack (passengers) in which they made one song for that movie, and its so good, although i've completely despised u2 since pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2lEGwLRFU

Exiled Pre-Raphaelite Gustavo L.'s Avatar
    Yeah, I’m a fan! From studio Ghibli I’ve seen Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. Here are some other favorites of mine:

Voices of a distant star
    Humanity is at war against an Alien race and Mikako, Noboru’s girlfrend, is sent to the space to fight the foes. The couple communicates by e-mail. As she travels further into the space, time passes differently to them (he aging faster), and messages take more time to reach their destiny. Days at first, then weeks, then months, then years…
    It breaks my heart every time I watch it.

Angel’s Egg
    The strangest and the most visually stunning anime I’ve ever seen. It hasn’t much of a story, actually: it’s more like a visual equivalent of a lyrical poem. By the director of the original Ghost in the Shell anime.

Magnetic Rose.
    It’s the first of three stories comprised in an anime called “Memories”. I don’t care much about the other two, but this one is brilliant. A ghost spaceship, a tragic opera singer and a Puccini’s aria in a dark fairy tale.
    [and I just noticed that someone put the full anime in youtube ]

Anime Series:

Cowboy Bebop (26 episodes)
    Have seen this one countless times. The story is set in 2071, with space travels and all, but this is not the standard sci-fi world. It’s a retro and stylish future, where cowboys duel at the sunset and fugitive criminals play jazz at smoky bars. Fun, tragic and beautiful.

The Vision of Escaflowne ( 26 ep)
    My favorite Fantasy anime. Romantic, compelling and visually amazing. Pretty violent sometimes, though. The soundtrack, by Yoko Kanno (who composed Cowboy Bebop’s soundtrack), is gorgeous.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 ep)
    Three 14-year pilots try to prevent God’s angels from destroying humanity. It’s pretty confusing/obscure sometimes, but highly addictive and beautifully crafted nevertheless.

Blog Entries
    Cowboy Bebop is fantastic! One of my favourites xD!
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

Just another Euphemism alestar89's Avatar
    Miyasaki! <3

The Girl Who Lept Through Time

Sword of the Stranger

Escaflowne, Ranma 1/2, Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, Cardcaptor Sakura... the list is extensive

Exiled Pre-Raphaelite Gustavo L.'s Avatar
    My brother highly praised Trigun, BeccaT. I’ll watch it as soon as I can.

For those with Gothic tastes, I recommend Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I’ve rarely seen an anime so finely drawn.

I haven’t seen the Death Note anime, but I heard that it follows the homonymous manga (comic book) closely, and the manga is amazing. It's about a guy who finds a Death Note - a supernatural notebook lost by a death god, which grants its owner the power of killing people just by writting their names in the book.

**Edit: how could I forget this one? Wolf’s Rain, about Werewolves in a fantasy/post-apocalyptic Russia! Amazing visuals (inspired by art-nouveau) and captivating storyline. Written by Keiko Nobumoto, from Cowboy Bebop.
    Last edited by Gustavo L.; 03-29-2009 at 10:27 PM.

No one else into Fullmetal Alchemist? I don't really watch that much anime (aside from a late-90s obsession with Sailor Moon, to which many fell victim!, and of course the occasional film), but I totally got into this series.

I don't really watch anime that much. Death Note is my favorite out of the few series I have seen. I also like Fruits Basket, but it was a much better manga. And then I have a few I watch occasionally, like Full Metal Alchemist, Inuyasha, and Naruto.
    ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
    BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaT View Post
    I never used to be a big fan of anime, either series or films, until quite recently. Many have an amazing, intriguing art style, complex plots, loveable, memorable characters, and a style of humour not found anywhere else (including hillarious subtitle mis-translations).

I'm curious to know if anybody else here is a fan, or has even watched some, and to point out some of my favorites:

Azumanga Daoih
    (HILLARIOUS! Not really >about< anything in particular, but every episode has it's laughs, even if they're just 'What... the hell?' laughs. The theme song alone is enough to bring forth chuckles, and we tend to become very involved with the characters, particularily Miss Sakaki (at least, myself...)

Trigun
    (COMPLEX. The art style is FANTASTIC and, as far as I'm concerned, unmatched. The main character, Vash the Stampede, is revealed to be a much deeper character than we first assumed, and the plot takes unexpected twists and turns. My MOM loves this one, and we watched the entire series in three days. Has more than it's share of laughter.)

Hellsing

Paprika

Millenium Actress

Tekkonkinkreet
    I've been an otaku (anime fan) for as long as I can remember. I'm into fantasy, adventure, paranormal and gothic anime. Have you watched hellsing OAV? The story's pretty much the same as the anime series but bloodier.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    In the last couple of years i've really gotten into the Studio Ghibli movies. They are expensive to buy so i dont get one very often but theses are the ones i've seen

Howls Moving Castle
    Spirited Away
    Tales from Earthsea
    Whisper of the Heart
    The Cat Returns
    Princess Mononoke.

I've a load more on my Amazon wish list that i need to get.
    I hated Pokemon.
    But i enjoyed Cardcapters.
    I'm not into Studio Ghibli though one of the best anime movie would have to be 'Spirited Away". I love Pokemon, they're adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by kratsayra View Post
    No one else into Fullmetal Alchemist? I don't really watch that much anime (aside from a late-90s obsession with Sailor Moon, to which many fell victim!, and of course the occasional film), but I totally got into this series.
    FMA is one good philosophical anime. HAve you watched the movie? There's a second season coming out, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by kaymf View Post
    I don't really watch anime that much. Death Note is my favorite out of the few series I have seen. I also like Fruits Basket, but it was a much better manga. And then I have a few I watch occasionally, like Full Metal Alchemist, Inuyasha, and Naruto.
    I don't like Inu Yasha. Try JekanBlazer, his avatar once was Shippo the fox. I'm more into One Piece than Naruto.

I only read the manga of Death Note. Didn't bother to watch the anime since I know my fave character's gonna die anyway.
    Vanitas vanitatum, dixit Ecclesiastes, vanitas vanitatum, et omnia vanitas.

Yo sé quién soy, y sé que puedo ser no sólo los que he dicho. - Don Quixote

Blog Entries
    I have been watching anime since I was a wee, wee lass. I do go to conventions, I cosplay, I spend obscene amounts of money in the dealer's room - it is a BLAST. I do tend to go more for the gaming (I've cosplayed as more characters from games than anime). Some people are a leeettle overboard at those conventions, but it's all worth it. I couldn't possibly name all of the ones I've seen, but it started off:

Sailor Moon (naturally)
    DBZ (my brother snagged me into it)
    Gundam Wing
    ----
    And theen...

Cardcaptor Sakura (anything CLAMP is good for me)
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Fushigi Yuugi
    Ranma 1/2 (I liked it, but I'm really not crazily into it- it dragged on a bit much for me.)
    Tenchi Muyo!/Universe
    Haibane Renmei
    Record of Lodoss War
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Battle Angel (manga)
    Chobits (manga)
    Kare Kano
    Love Hina
    Oh! My Goddess
    Sorcerer Hunters
    Sorcerous Stabber Orphen
    Escaflowne (gaaah can't stand the heroine)
    Vampire Hunter D/
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Gravitation (It was peer pressure, I swear)
    Akira
    Street Fighter: Alpha (and whatever the one that came before)
    Cowboy Bebop (<3)
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Trigun
    Howl's Moving Ca-
    One Piece (it's unfinished)
    Alright, yea, I gobble up anything Miyazaki.
    Paprika
    Millennium Actress (One of the reasons I looove these is because of the music by Susumu Hirasawa)

(I THINK... that's a pretty solid list. Might think of more later.)

Umm, my favorite anime is Berserk. It's also my favorite manga. ... I won't list all the manga I've read here, but I've read a lot.

<--- Geek. heh.

I'm kind of the same way about anime that I am with books - if it's on the bestseller's list, I'm automatically skeptical. I'm reeeally not into Naruto or Bleach. I started Bleach before the Bleach crowd really hit, but it seemed to go downhill after awhile. Some people just want to drag on the series for money, and I ... I do not have that much patience.

Anime with serious substance (Haibane Renmei, Berserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.) - I highly, highly recommend (Berserk and Neon Genesis Evangelion only for the strong-stomached). They're not just cartoons - they truly make you think. I'm glad there are others on the forum who agree!
    Then she would run until morning to ease the ache; swifter than rain, swift as loss, racing to catch up with the time when she had known nothing at all but the sweetness of being herself.

-- Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast