Thread: Graham Greene

Graham Greene

How come we have Somerset Maugham and not Graham Green? I understand the two disliked each other...and I don't think it's fair to Greene

Unless I am the only one who likes Greene...?

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We're a little more objective in adding content to the site than that.

Please see this thread http://www.online-literature.com/for...d.php?p=220267 for more information.

--
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Thanks for that Logos, I was wondering if there was a criteria as I didn't see a lot of the modernists on the author list.

So... older than 1923? How about M.R. James? But whatever if nobody else likes to read him... which reminds me, I better go and post something on J.Sheridan Le Fanu before he gets too lonely!

Enjoyed several of Greene's novels and short stories.
    Definitely believe he should have been awarded the Nobel Prize (rather than William Golding).

Monsignor Quixote (1982)
    The Quiet American (1955)
    Brighton Rock (1938)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebas. Melmoth View Post
    Enjoyed several of Greene's novels and short stories.
    Definitely believe he should have been awarded the Nobel Prize (rather than William Golding).

Monsignor Quixote (1982)
    The Quiet American (1955)
    Brighton Rock (1938)
    Many people have said the same. In 1952 he was a candsidate but was beaten by another catholic writer Francois Mauriac. Greene was in the running on other occasions but never received the prize. He was a very complex individual and it's possible that his religious and political views may have played some part in his failure. I agree that he was a better writer than Golding, but Golding didn't appear to upset anyone.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    I would definitely have picked him over Golding. Greene had a body of work; Golding had one novel. By the way, I loved Brighton Rock.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Brian
    Quote "but Golding didn't appear to upset anyone." Sounds a bit like Brian Clough, the best football manager that England never had!

Greene was a complex character, as has been pointed out. I think a lot of this had to do with him being a converted Catholic and not born into it. Combined with his writing skills & zeal to question everything, or at least view his new faith from different perspectives, he brought a new focus onto a lot of traditional thinking in Catholic dogma. I especially admire "The Power and the Glory" with the wiskey priest.

Time Travelling Sanguivor Technophile's Avatar
    I would Google any Graham Greene books that you wish to read. I did, and was able to read The Destructors from a server in Australia. Perfectly legal because buffering is incidental copying, just don't download the text.
    Do not underestimate the Power of Autism. www.aspiesoftheworld.com Avatar provided by big-bomb.com via Google Image Search.