Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about Distopia

Blog Entries

Lets talk about Distopia

It should be no surprise that I love distopian literature. Probably because I am so pessimistic in my views on the future and I do not like typically happy endings.

I have read 1984 of course, and Animal Farm. I am currently reading The Handmaid's Tale and it looks as if I will be reading Brave New World pretty soon.

Oh and I almost forget, of course A Clockwork Orange.

I have also read some pretty good and interesting young adult distopian books for my Child Lit class. Feed I have discussed upon here, and I just finished a book called The Hunger Games.

So I am looking for suggestions on any good distopean books

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    I am nearing the end of Fahrenheit 451. I have definately enjoyied it, though I don't think it will measure up to 1984.
    Everyone knows what's in room 101.

Everything becomes irrelevant, when the sky tears open.

"Hey Kevin." "What?" "Theres a ditch there." "Sh*t!"

Blog Entries
    I hear Fahrenheit 451 brought up a lot, though I never knew ezxaxtly what it was about, I have heard only good things about it from those who have mentioned it.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    It's basically a distopia where books and literature in general are outlawed. And it centers around a fireman (firemen burn books and houses that have books instead of putting fire out) who aquires a few books and sees the beauty in them.
    *very vauge discription*
    Everyone knows what's in room 101.

Everything becomes irrelevant, when the sky tears open.

"Hey Kevin." "What?" "Theres a ditch there." "Sh*t!"

you can read also:

Yevgeny Zamyatin - We

Michel Faber - Under The Skin - not really a dystopia, but it can be seen as one.
    the main idea with the books is that there are too many not worthy to be read.

Blog Entries
    Well I will keep it in mind since it seems to be rather well liked

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Ayn Rand's Anthem and We, the People.

Also, Kafka's The Trial jumps to mind.

Dystopian societies are also popular in graphic novels like V for Vendetta, if you consider them literature.

Blog Entries
    I am a fan of Rand, I have both those books just have not read them yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    It should be no surprise that I love distopian literature. Probably because I am so pessimistic in my views on the future and I do not like typically happy endings.
    What are your thoughts on utopian literature then? For if you read utopian literature in turns real life into distopia and how bleak is that? The likes of Thomas More's Utopia, William Morris's News From Nowhere and Edward Bellamy's Looking Backwards are obvious places to start. Though I would definitely make Brave New World your next pick of the distopias.

I would definitely second We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.. it is much akin to Huxley (but prob a bit better) and was Orwell's major influence for 1984
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Individualistic Dreamer mystery_spell's Avatar
    First off, you misspelled dystopia. :P

Brave New World is definitely a great dystopia book to read next. Lord of the Flies can also be considered a dystopia book, so I'd suggest that one as well.
    This is just the beginning.

Exiled Pre-Raphaelite Gustavo L.'s Avatar
    I recommend Philip K. Dick's short story "The Faith of Our Fathers".

The author also wrote a novel based on an alternative timeline in which the Nazis and the Empire of Japan rule the world after have won World War II ("The Man in The High Castle"), but I haven't read this one.

[QUOTE=Dark Muse;685682]It should be no surprise that I love distopian literature. Probably because I am so pessimistic in my views on the future and I do not like typically happy endings.

I have read 1984 of course, and Animal Farm. I am currently reading The Handmaid's Tale and it looks as if I will be reading Brave New World pretty soon.
    /QUOTE]

Deffo Brave New World. Is distopia the American spelling of dystopia? I don't like it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    What are your thoughts on utopian literature then? For if you read utopian literature in turns real life into distopia and how bleak is that? The likes of Thomas More's Utopia, William Morris's News From Nowhere and Edward Bellamy's Looking Backwards are obvious places to start. Though I would definitely make Brave New World your next pick of the distopias.
    To me the ida of an acutal utopia sounds like it would get dull and boring. I just finnished reading Paradise Lost and could not help thinking, wow the Garden of Eden sounds like it would just be boring after the first few days or so.

Hypothetically speaking since I do not actually believe in the Bible I am one of those people who look upon the fall of man as a positive thing. I do not really want a Utopia.

I don't want to live in a dystopia either where there is no freedom and the goverment controls everything. But there needs to be some chaos in the world.

That is acutally why I am against both Utopia's and Dystopias, becasue in different ways they both have too much order.
    Last edited by Dark Muse; 03-13-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    Deffo Brave New World. Is distopia the American spelling of dystopia? I don't like it
    LOL no, it is just my way of spelling it

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast