Thread: Have you ever touched the sky?

Have you ever touched the sky?

Well, I have been wondering how the sky feels since I contemplated in a verse in the Quran relating the experience of genies explaining what happnened to them when they touched the sky.

They say as reported by the Quran:

And we have touched the sky so we found it was full of strict guardians and meteors 72:8

Looking, at the tremendous sight of the sky, I was overwhelmed and thought truly; How close it is and surrounding, but we cannot touch it. We don't even know what is it made of, I mean its components.No one could ever get a sample from the sky to know what its made of. We do not know where that magnificent blue colour came from. It amazingly lightens with the sun, and deeply darkens with the moon.

How we cannot come with a similar one ever, even if we tried, and if we do will it ever have space?

The Sky is stated extensively in the Quran, but all what we know for sure about it, that there are seven skies, and that they layers, floors one above other, with the sky we can see being the lowest. I was asking myself if the lowest sky looks that charming, how will the skies we cannot see look like.

Another fact stated in the Quran regarding the sky, is that the skies, were raised without pillars, you can see 13:2
    The meaning is vast especially in the Arabic text. It either means that the sky was raised without pillars as we see it. Or the that the pillars themselves are invisible, so we see the skies raised without seeing the pillars.

I love the sky and the Capability and marvel it came into existence with. I believe it is but a ceiling, and above is another floor that is sure much more beautiful than the outstanding beauty of our sky.Overall I find it one of the most elevated reflections of its founder, elevator, Allah.

However, still I cannot imagine how it would feel to touch the sky.

I just wanted to share my contemplation, as it is one of the most important rituals a human being should be practicing during lifetime.
    Where is the voice of Humanity?

Quote Originally Posted by planet earth View Post
    Well, I have been wondering how the sky feels since I contemplated in a verse in the Quran relating the experience of genies explaining what happnened to them when they touched the sky.

And we have touched the sky so we found it was full of strict guardians and meteors 72:8

Looking, at the tremendous sight of the sky, I was overwhelmed and thought truly; How close it is and surrounding, but we cannot touch it. We don't even know what is it made of, I mean its components.No one could ever get a sample from the sky to know what its made of. We do not know where that magnificent blue colour came from. It amazingly lightens with the sun, and deeply darkens with the moon.

How we cannot come with a similar one ever, even if we tried, and if we do will it ever have space?
    We can fly... We've been through the physical sky and into the space beyond it. As far as metaphysical sky is concerned, you touch it every time you consider it.

Both are beautiful things, unless you stick your hand out the window physically. Then your blood boils and you may die...

google High Flight by John Gillespie Mcgee...

Yes, it is this metaphysical sky I meant. You cannot hear what is going on above there, because it has its residents, which are superior than us in terms of the place where they live.

I guess you agree with me, that we do not know what its made of chemically. But yes you are right every single time we look at it we touch it, but only touch it. I think it makes us yearn for being one of its inhabitants.

I know it has doors, but I don't know how they look like and where are they. I think it is the most beautiful mystery we have in front of our eyes.

krymsonkyng, thank you so much for sharing

We don't even know what is it made of, I mean its components. No one could ever get a sample from the sky to know what its made of.
    It's made of ozone, oxygen, nitrogen and whatever else the atmosphere is made of, which varies at different altitudes. I imagine one way this was determined was by taking samples.

We do not know where that magnificent blue colour came from. It amazingly lightens with the sun, and deeply darkens with the moon.
    The sky is blue because of the way the eyes respond to light scattered by molecules of oxygen and nitrogen: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic.../blue_sky.html

there are seven skies, and that they layers, floors one above other, with the sky we can see being the lowest.
    I guess if you count the ozone layer as separate from the stratosphere then there are seven layers.

I was asking myself if the lowest sky looks that charming, how will the skies we cannot see look like.
    You can get some idea if you look at the Earth as viewed from space.

Beautiful huh?

I love the sky
    Me too. Sometimes I love to lie on the ground and just stare at it, day or night. It's all the more amazing to me, because I know that something so beautiful is just a load of chemicals.
    "Books don't offer real escape but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw." David Mitchell

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My four-year old daughter asked me: "What do clouds taste like?"

"Snow," I told her.

I guess you agree with me, that we do not know what its made of chemically. But yes you are right every single time we look at it we touch it, but only touch it. I think it makes us yearn for being one of its inhabitants.

I know it has doors, but I don't know how they look like and where are they. I think it is the most beautiful mystery we have in front of our eyes.
    Hold up a sec, we know all about the physical sky. Chemical composition and atmospheric condition are scientific canon. Pressure systems and space missions, human folk have been there and past. So I'm afraid I disagree.

The metaphysical sky is representative of something else entirely. It's not necessarily a limit but it certainly represents a ceiling. Doors and windows usually have a piece of sky and earth, so there's always the idea of travel, and adventure, and the unknown. There are clouds, (which probably do taste like snow ) and stars to guide or mislead.

Really the sky can be and is anything you want it to be.

On a side note I may have misused the word Metaphysical, but it's the only word I know to represent the idea of forms instead of existents over an instant...

spiritus ubi vult spirat weltanschauung's Avatar

The Sky is stated extensively in the Quran, but all what we know for sure about it, that there are seven skies, and that they layers, floors one above other, with the sky we can see being the lowest. I was asking myself if the lowest sky looks that charming, how will the skies we cannot see look like.

Another fact stated in the Quran regarding the sky, is that the skies, were raised without pillars, you can see 13:2
    The meaning is vast especially in the Arabic text. It either means that the sky was raised without pillars as we see it. Or the that the pillars themselves are invisible, so we see the skies raised without seeing the pillars.

I love the sky and the Capability and marvel it came into existence with. I believe it is but a ceiling, and above is another floor that is sure much more beautiful than the outstanding beauty of our sky.Overall I find it one of the most elevated reflections of its founder, elevator, Allah.

However, still I cannot imagine how it would feel to touch the sky.

I just wanted to share my contemplation, as it is one of the most important rituals a human being should be practicing during lifetime.
    nice, this. the seven skies is a reference to the seven lower sephiroths of the sacred tree, yeah, that one from genesis. they can be defined as states of consciousness and each sephirah is associated with one of the seven original "planets" (moon, mars, mercury, venus, jupiter, saturn, sun), the lowest one being malkuth which is where we are. these states can only be reached through meditation.
    "And we have touched the sky so we found it was full of strict guardians and meteors 72:8", great metaphor, huh?
    "a fatal atraction holding me fast, how can i escape this irresistable grasp?"

"51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed"

The sky is omnipresent and we are the sky.

As a matter of fact it is inseparable from us, and we can not get far from it no matter how much we struggle.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Ok, I really want to assert that I am not talking about atomosphere here, and its scientific interpretations. However, I am so happy with the scientific interpretations given. I guess the atomosphere is the space between us and the sky. Anyway, I am really, talking about heaven maybe,or if there was a noun from the adjective Celestial, I think I would be refering to the Celset if we may say so. Maybe, it is because in my background, I have the metaphors of the Quran regarding the sky in mind, when I posted this thread.

I recall the verse that says:

And We have made the sky a preserved ceiling, and they from our signs are turned away 21:32
    and this ceiling of this world is decorated with

And He completed them as seven heavens within two days and inspired in each heaven its command. And We adorned the nearest heaven with lamps and as protection. That is the determination of the Exalted in Might, the Knowing 41:12
    I love the metaphor here. The ceiling of our world, is decorated with lamps, lanterns, which are the stars and we, how simple may my thought be, but we as human beings did not find any place more suitable do decorate our ceilings, and to provide us with light than lamps and lanterns. I know this is a very very humble thought, but I think that it is the sky that inspires us.

This is how the macrocosm, reflects on the life of microcosm.

I also thought of the Arabic meaning of sky which is (sama), meaning elevated, trancsended, high. I believe that looking to the sky, arouses ones feelings to be inwardly transcended as well.

I think the Sky is much more deeper than we could ever penetrate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
    My four-year old daughter asked me: "What do clouds taste like?"

"Snow," I told her.
    Oh, I've always thought they tasted like cotton candy.

i just think of that Kanye West song.
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play