Spend a little time to-day;
    There's nothing more important
    That will ever come your way,
    Than the joys of sins forgiven,
    And to know you've been made whole,
    In the Name of Christ, my Saviour,
    Stop, and think about your soul!

Unknown Author

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his soul?" Mark 8:36
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

Fresh, Fair and Innocent Adelheid's Avatar
    25 people have viewed this poem. Yet none replied... is it because the Spirit of God pricks you? Or have you saved it for "later" thought when it might all be too late??? Maybe it's because you don't care to think about it just now, or brand this as rubbish?

Like the 'person' in this poem, you may be in success, without a care, but you will have to die...it may be tonight. Whose kingdom will you join- God's or the Devil's? Hadn't you better find out what each place is like, before you answer: "the Devil's place"?

Each of you are precious to God. Don't throw away your only chance of a Saviour. None other will come.
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    No, I refuse to think... part of my health insurance. I am not supposed to do anything intentionaly which might endanger my wellbeing.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Thinking about your wellbeing for ETERNITY would not endanger your well being. On the contrary, you might do better for ETERNITY!!!

I agree entirely. Take heed, ye nonbelievers!

"If it is honorable for you to disturb the dead, I shall consider it an honor and will make it my ambition to disturb your living." - Captain Miles Hazzard

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Oh, now that you put it that way...

*starts to think, ignoring the pain*
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

It's serious, you'd better not joke around....

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Seriously, I don't come here to get "saved". Can we not confine this stuff to the
    Religious Texts Thread?
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Memories of Nuremburg... Miss Darcy's Avatar
    A pale blue dot suspended in a sunbeam...
    Go with Kilt there...it is basically a religious text. Not that there's anything bad about that...simply that the content is more religious than poetic.

After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
    -Aldous Huxley

Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.
    -W. A. Mozart

Non scholae, sed vitae discimus.
    Not school, but life teaches us.

I have read the poem many times by now, and it really has a lot to say, compelling its reader (literally) to ask the questions himself/herself. Toward the end of the work, however, though I do not intend to insult anyone's religion and/or spirituality, phrases like "In the name of Christ, my Saviour" results sounding somewhat cliché; do not misunderstand my statement, as I attempt having the greatest respect and reverence for any artform, religion, and spiritual belief, even if I disagree with them. A poet, even of the most spiritual mien, I think, communicates best by emphasizing with any reader; any writer, whether in fiction, non-fiction, or poetry, I would like to think, represents his/her population and culture by supporting the morals, philosophy, and overall messages - they only speak loudest through publication.
    This poem persists supporting the poet's ideals, and those of his/her believing readers, but focuses much more on a specific culture that does not outline everyone's spiritual beliefs. As I said, I still deliver much respect for the introspective piece, but cannot give quite the best response of which you search.

This poem first struck me as quite fresh, easy to read and with a good message (the 'take time to think about your soul'-part). But despite the fact that I am raised Catholic, you lost me in the last 4 lines.
    At that point for me the whole potential meaning of the poem changes.. Up to that point I could interprete "Have you thought about your soul?" as a sentence that could mean: Have you taken the time to get to know yourself? Have you spent as much time with your loved-ones as you wanted to? Have you taken time off your responsibilities to enjoy sunsets (and more ). Have you enjoyed the kind of silence that gives the joy of 'just-being' for a few moments? I see the soul as a great source of beauty and insight.
    But then I am a bit disappointed if your point seems to be that we have to devote ourselves to Christianity.. for personal eternal gaine. My personal believe is that everyone goes to Heaven - that there is no 'good' or 'bad'.. Just learning. My sister once said - when I was sad because someone had hurt me - "Just remember Bianca, on the level of the soul we are all friends. He probably had to do that to learn you something". And I believe that still.
    Ehm, even as I read my own response I realize that my response (and probably the poem too) would be better off in the part 'Religious texts'...
    Our lives are better left to chance.
    I could have missed the pain,
    but then I'd have had to miss the dance

Garth Brooks

Wink

yes, sooner or later we all think about it...life is short......and for those who believe in after life that is natural thing to do......!

April, come she will... scruffy_danny's Avatar
    you lost me in the last 4 lines.
    At that point for me the whole potential meaning of the poem changes..
    I agree. To me, the poem started off asking people to think about their beliefs, possibly even directly to the reader, because maybe the poet does not know him/herself. This is the initial reaction I got at the start but at the last 4 lines it turns into a heavily, nearly dictating religious idea - telling the reader to repent of their sins. Like Mono pointed out, I do think In the Name of Christ, my Saviour, sounds quite cliche.

Not that it's a bad poem, I was just shocked at the heavily religious ending. I liked very much the doomed, almost scary, feeling it creates through the repeating of the idea of the fact that we will all die and at that point all the fortune and fame will account for nothing.
    "That man that hath a tongue I say is no man,
    If with that tongue he cannot win a woman."

Blog Entries
    Memento Mori, That is what the poem preaches, and that is all I will say about it. Very archaic.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Well, maybe I could have posted it in the religious texts section, but it IS a poem after all!! *pleads* And I did want to expand my posting places too. Have some mercy...

I did have to read the last four lines several times to understand them fully myself, so you are all natural. Nothing seriously wrong....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast