Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday, Janine!

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday Janine! I hope you have a lovely, peaceful day. My best wishes for you today, and everyday!

And because I know you love them as I do, my gift to you is of course...

I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Blog Entries
    *Classic* what a beauty of an animal....looks so happy and free. Lovely color and such a sweet face - perfect gift; thank you so much! I love the photo; I will copy it to my files on animals. Is this one of your horses or did you find the photo online? It is a fabulous photo catching all the movement of the muscles, etc. This is the type photo inspires me to draw. I love the way the tail flairs out, don't you?

It was a lovely peaceful day today and a lot of fun enjoying my grandbaby. Did you see her photo on page 2 of this thread - playing me "Happy Birthday" ?
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    No, this fellow isn't mine, though he's definitely lovely. Yes, I love the tail haha.

I certainly did see the photos of Brooke. What a charmer! I'm glad you're having a good day!
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Talking

Oh dear, I'm late for the party Happy belated Birthday, Janine I hope you had a nice one.

Um.... Is there any cake left?

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by Janine
    I could not believe seeing this when I opened the page last night, just prior to going off to bed; I had just gotten my birthday card from Cirque du Soleil and then I send a few out to friends myself; then when I saw your great photo Mono I was surprised and delighted. Aren't they the coolest? I will be sure to copy this photo to my C d S folder offline. Thanks so much!
    Wow, ironic eh? I went to Cirque du Soleil once upon a time, years ago, as a teenager, and loved it! They come to town every few years, sometimes yearly, and would love to go again, but their talent seems difficult to compete with for sure!

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday Janine!!!
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Happy belated birthday, Janine!!! Hope you had a wonderful day!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Happy Belated Birthday,Janine!
    I picked up a necklace and some cupcakes for you...

I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Blog Entries
    Pls forgive me Janine for being late in wishing you a very happy birthday.

What Are You Crazy!!!

Blog Entries
    Sorry I missed the chance to wish you well for this. Hope you had a wonderful day!

Blog Entries
    Quote by Claes
    Um.... Is there any cake left? /Claes
    Plenty left over (virtual cake never runs out ); so do indulge (calorie-less, also). You can never be too late; it is always fun to keep my birthday going a few days; so thanks Claes. Help yourself to some delicious cake!

Quotes by *Classic*Charm*
    No, this fellow isn't mine, though he's definitely lovely. Yes, I love the tail haha.

I certainly did see the photos of Brooke. What a charmer! I'm glad you're having a good day!
    *Classic*, Isn't she though? I put one of those of Brooke on my desktop, so I can see her everyday. I love that horse photo. That also would make a great desktop image, but Brooke won out for now.

dramasnot6 Love the sparkly ballet pin - that is just perfect for me. I love pink, too. Did you bake those cupcakes? They look soooo good! I love the red sprinkles ontop. I think I will eat one right now.

vheissu, qimissung...thanks for your nice birthday greetings.

Quote by mono
    Wow, ironic eh? I went to Cirque du Soleil once upon a time, years ago, as a teenager, and loved it! They come to town every few years, sometimes yearly, and would love to go again, but their talent seems difficult to compete with for sure!
    mono, wow, that is ironic. Lucky you having seen them live. I would die to see one of their shows. I have seen a few on DVD before and was totally mesmerized. You are right there - their talent is beyond everything else one may have experienced before. Their shows are so unique and artistic.

pussnboots and Silas Thorne, no need to be 'sorry' or be 'forgiven' ...as far as I am concerned, the party continues... I like birthdays to last all weekend, maybe even all week. Thanks for coming and for your heartfelt wishes.
    Last edited by Janine; 03-01-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Pičce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    It is never too late for an interview so here is an interview with Janine

1. How did you come about this site and what makes you keep coming back?
    Discovered this site while researching D.H.Lawrence; many of you know, I am quite obsessed with the author’s work. That fateful event helped me to further explore his vast body of work, proving to be quite rewarding and to connect with other Lawrence enthusiasts.

2. Are you happy with the way things are here?
    Absolutely! Love it here and probably will never depart, unless you throw me out. I have so many great friends here; can’t even begin to count them all. This site has truly changed my life and given me great happiness.

3. Have you visited other countries than your own and what did you like about it or not like? If you could live somewhere different from where you live now, where would it be and why?
    Not many *frown* countries visited actually; only one, an island - Nassau and Paradise Island in the Bahamas. I haven’t even ventured to Canada yet, and it’s not that far from NJ. I am basically an enthusiastic ‘mental’ traveler; in that respect, I have been to many countries and I love learning about other cultures and regions; this is another plus to staying put, here at Lit Net. I have burning desire to visit the UK; I wish to see England, Ireland and Scotland someday. I have to walk where my favorite author’s walked. I would love to live in the Pacific Northwest along the coastline - Seattle is beautiful, as it the Olympic Peninsula.

4. Do you have any pets?
    Now that’s a long story. In my lifetime, I’ve had the pleasure of caring for, loving many pets: 2 dogs, 4 cats, several parakeets, 2 gerbils, a guineas pig, fish, two rabbits, a domestic white goose, a mallard duckling, a baby turtle, two gold fish….they may have been more; but now I’ve lost track.
    Our last pets were two cats; now we are pet-less. I sometimes miss the pets, but not the work, nor being tied down; so ‘been there, done it‘.

5. What makes you happy?
    Zillions of things! BUT, now the one thing that makes me the happiest is playing with my little grand-daughter. She instantly makes me completely happy. I adore and cherish her so. The second thing that makes me happy are all the wonderful friends I have the pleasure of knowing and communicating with often. Most of my happiness springs from my enthusiasm for people and life. I love my hobbies and any pursuit of art, literature, music, movies, etc; all make me exceedingly happy.

6. What is mankind's biggest achievement, and its greatest downfall?
    I believe mankind’s biggest achievement is forming and maintaining friendships. If the whole world could achieve friendship, then we would not have wars and strife. I don’t see this as a thing, but as way of living one’s life. Friends mean everything to me; they are my greatest achievement. Without friends, where would one be? Mankind’s greatest downfall is not being able to live peaceably together on this incredible planet.

7. If you had a long day of hard work ahead of you what music would you be playing on your mp3, while working?
    Movie soundtracks; collect them, love them all!

8. If you could take one book, music album and one video with you to a desert island, what would they be?
    Hard one indeed. I would imagine I would take “Collected Works of Shakespeare“, since it would take a lifetime to fully understand Will‘s writing; that would keep me from being bored and present a challenge. I would take the soundtrack to ‘Hamlet‘ and I would take the Hamlet DVD…of course, I will have a laptop, which will never run out of power, right?

9. Do you feel comfortable in your walk with God?
    As in my own broad concept of God, the answer would have to be ‘yes‘. During the famous Shackleton Expedition, three men, including Sir Ernest, crossed South Georgia Island at night under great odds of surviving, and they not only survived but they did it in record time. It was vitally important that they get to the opposite side of the island (the whaling station), in order to get a ship, to rescue their men on Elephant Island. The point I am trying to make, is that during that unbelievable journey, in the deep snowy mountains at night, all three of the men separately perceived a fourth person walking with them. They later said they believed it to be God, Providence. I totally believe this is true and that God most certain does walk beside us daily, and especially in times of great need.

10. Which actor should play you in a movie based on your life?
    The woman who played Jane in the Timothy Dalton version of Jane Eyre; I don‘t recall her name; she is English. I think I look a little like her at times.

11.Given the option, what animal would you choose to be?
    White Tigress

12. What were your favorite things to do the past? What about now?Art, drawing, crafts projects in the past. Now, I admit I’m pretty lazy most days and a bit too obsessed with my computer; instead I do a lot of computer cruising and posting (especially Lit Net) and I love research. When I get inspired, I do work on some jewelry projects - creative costume beaded pieces, which are tons of fun. I watch DVD‘s, movies, listen to music and audio books, pursue all my interests in the performing/visual arts. However, I am pretty good at being a couch potato!

13. What activities make you lose track of time?
    Any art or craft project that you can really lose yourself in; working online, and talking on IM will eat up time quickly. Time dissolves at a rapid rate; I usually I find myself up way past midnight; I definitely spend too many hours of the day and night online; but it is so incredible and expansive, isn‘t it?

14. What makes you feel great about yourself?
    Encouraging others, lending moral support. Doing a job to the best of my ability and completing a difficult task; serious posting on this site. I used to get a lot of satisfaction from my artwork. Now that is transferred to other worthwhile pursuits.

15. Who inspires you most? Which qualities inspire you, in each person?
    Artists be it visual or performing, etc, authors, and inventors, explorers, leaders. I find their lives inspiring, as well as their works. For art, it would have to be Michelangelo. I love the way these great men have accomplished so much in their lifetimes and some in relatively short ones or against all odds, such as D.H.Lawrence. I admire their dedication and inspiration to create art and do so to the best of their abilities. In leaders, I admire their persistence to rise to excellence, when they are called to do so. One of my favorite poems is Propice by Robert Browning….”
    To paraphrase - leadership, dedication, loyalty, spirit, heart, humility…etc. are all qualities inspiring to me

16. What are you naturally good at? (Skills, abilities, gifts etc.)Drawing, illustration, artistic endeavors are my natural talents. I have been exploring art, since I could pick up a pencil; it is as natural as breathing to me, but it does require work and dedication.. I’m good at needlework, various crafts, jewelry making, decorating, window display. I have been thinking of starting a hobby or craft social group. I think many people on this forum are very talented; would be fun to share our work with others.

17. What do people typically ask you for help in?
    Hahah…not too sure…sometimes they ask me on here for help in English. I have to laugh…not sure I always use the proper grammar or English myself, and I am a terrible speller.

18. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
    Well certainly not English grammar! Haha…A course in art history perhaps, OR a course in illustration or art appreciation. I could also teach a course in antique English transfer ware dishware, since I collected it for years and learned much about it from research/study. I would like to teach a grad course specifically on D.H.Lawrence, but probably I would have to read a lot more material; also, it would require more organization than I am probably capable of; I would need a masters degree in Literature….I think I’ll just ‘dream’ about this interesting possibility.

19. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?Regret wasting too much time in the past and procrastinating way too much. I should have done more, when I could. I truly regret getting away from doing my artwork; losing that sense of dedication to my talent. I need to start again, but that is easier said than done.

20. What song is in your head at the moment?
    A song by a group no one has probably ever heard of; they were a group from England by the name of Renaissance, the song is “Ocean Gypsy“….one of my all time favorites.

21. The last book you bought/borrowed from the library?
    I took a library break to catch up on books I own; so not really sure I remember.

22. Which book are you reading at the moment?
    Reading plays currently; wish to concentrate on the Ibsen plays, since I bought a set of Ibsen on DVD. So far they’re great. I read the play after I see the production. I just completed reading “Ghosts”; next will be “Brand”, then “The Master Builder”. Also, reading “Richard II” by Shakespeare, since we have an active discussion underway on this forum.

23. The last book you finished reading?
    The Trespasser by D.H.Lawrence (who else? haha)

24. Favorite food?/ Comfort food?
    Pizza, roast chicken with all the trimings. Ice cream always!!! Tiramisu is yummy; love marshmallows, chocolate milk. Lots more, etc.

25. What time of day do you most often find yourself on the LitNet?Afternoon and evening; often way too late for my own good.

26. What are you wearing at the moment?
    A sort of sweatshirt material skirt with draw-string - comfy and flip-flops, black ľ sleeve top…it is a little warmer here today, but rainy.

27. Favorite poem?
    “Prospice” by Robert Browning is one of my favorites. This line impressed me and was used in the mini-series “Shackleton”:
    “For sudden the worst turns the best to the brave“
    I have many others too, mostly romantic poems. I love poems from the Pre-Raphaelites’ and Shakespeare‘s Sonnets, of course. Too many favoites to name; I would be here all day.

28. First novel you remember reading on your own?
    “Circus Boy“…ha ha…think it was a Disney book. “Nancy Drew Mysteries“; those were great fun. I recall fondly reading two others when a young teen “The Trail of the Lonesome Pine” (by how knows who) and “Mrs. Mike”.

29. Favorite TV shows?
    Hardly watch TV anymore, unless it is on a DVD; used to get a kick out of “Seinfeld” and “Frasier“; years back it would have been “Twilight Zone“, “Alfred Hitchcock Presents“. I mostly enjoy the old TV shows; appreciate them more now, then when they actually aired; collected a number on DVD‘s; such fun to watch. Lucy Show is a biggie. Other than this I love BBC and HBO mini-series.

30. Which Lit Net members would you like to meet in person if you could?
    Many! To start, let me name a few, Virgil, Quark, Dark Muse, (they mainly discuss Lawrence with me), Petrarch, downing, grace86, Pensive, Saphira, Claes, Quasimodo, LilyAdams, *Classic Charm*, pussnboots, manolia, toni, Hira, lugdunum, eye maker, sophia82, Niamh, Lady Wentworth, manolia, andave ya, kiz paws, Alexei, nightshade, Schokokeks, malwethien, skasian, etc, etc, etc, plus all the moderators (who do a great job) and the Admin (who makes all this possible).…truly the list goes on and on……if I failed to mention you by name, don’t despair - just my brain getting old and feeble….plus the list was getting rather long. Let’s just have a great big reunion somewhere - how ‘bout the moon?

31. Favorite post on the Forum?
    Probably one of my own lengthy posts in our “Women in Love” discussion or in the Lawrence short story thread.

32. Favorite thread?
    Hands down - easy answer - “D.H. Lawrence Short Stories.”

33. Last food did you have?
    Ice-cream! It’s food to me.

34. Last words you said out loud?
    “I am going upstairs to get some hangers“….obviously, I got side-tracked.

35. Last person you hugged/kissed?
    My grand-daughter, then my son and his wife.

36. What do you do (for a living) to be able to keep your Lit Net addiction going? And are you happy with your chosen profession?
    Physically disabled, so I am free to pursue the computer, when I’m feeling ok. No, I can’t say that I was 100% happy in my profession, because all my employments over the years were not quite my chosen profession. I got side-tracked a lot. Steady art jobs are hard to come by. I did enjoy selling antiques immensely; I consider doing it again in the future.

37. What question would you like to ask yourself?
    Why am I not living the life I am suppose to be living? Pretty pathetic, huh?

38. What would you like to be if you could change your profession?
    An interior decorator; or a display artist, or a stage set designer….if I had talent, I would be a dancer or a singer or an actor…ha ha…that is a pipe dream!

39. Least favorite book/song/movie?
    “Great Expectations”/ Any and all rap songs /“Love Actually” - hated all three!

40. The most generous thing you have done?
    Lend moral support to my friends and family; helped friends learn computer skills.

41. What is your most outstanding feature?
    Physically, probably my blue eyes; otherwise, I think it is my sense of humor (although, I don’t think I’m particularly funny in this interview so far). I am very honest, outgoing and friendly; I always make friends easily.

42. If you could change one thing about the way you look, what would that be?
    Thinner body and thicker hair! Sorry, I had to have two.

43. Which book do you wish you had written?
    “A Tale of Two Cities”…strange since it is the only Dickens novel I have actually read. A second choice might be “Les Miserables”…both books are perfect, in my opinion.

44. What is your favorite book cover?
    “Aphonse Mucha”, an artist book I own; gorgeous decorative cover art.

45. Most and least favorite characters from books?
    Don’t know his name, but some low-life character in “Middle-March”, who is just despicable!

46. What would your biography be titled?
    The curious experiences of an ordinary person. Circumstances have made my life curious; I could write a book myself!

47. What should you be doing at the moment instead of answering these questions?
    Watching the end of “Richard II“, then getting ready for bed, reading if I can stay awake.

48. Wonderful Superman or depressing Batman?
    Wonderful Superman, since I am an optimist.

49. The most embarrassing moment in your life?
    Which one? There has been many, believe me…I have had enough years to accumulate embarrassing moments. One was when our family friends viewed my old prom movies - my gosh, what a geek I was….truly embarrassing moment.
    50. Which literary character (s) have you been told to resemble the most?
    I haven’t been told one. I would like to be Jane Eyre, because she finally relied on herself and had enough fortitude to come through and find true and lasting happiness in the end.

51. List some of the things that annoy you immensely.
    Phones ringing and dogs barking outside; also any irritating background noise that’s repetitious; TV playing in the background. These all cause me anxiety - may be my age, grouchy old lady….

52. Anything that you want to forget but you never can?
    Can’t really say, because it was very traumatic and caused me a lot of emotional pain. Actually, I’ve been through a number of bad things; I opt not to dwell on these times, but concentrate on the present and future instead.

53. Tell us about some amusing translation mistake you have heard or made yourself.
    Never translated anything since I don‘t know a second language. However, I had a friend visit me from Japan; we definitely did encounter the experience of misinterpretation in parts of our conversation; rather amusing; as they say, ‘lost in translation’.

54. If you had to lose one of your senses, which would you choose and why?
    Like downing before me, it’s too awful to think of, so I don’t think I can even imagine which one I would give up; maybe sense of smell, but then I understand one can’t taste - that would tragic, since I love food.

55. What’s the first thing you’ll do in an embarrassing situation?
    Make light it of it and then laugh at myself; a good friend taught me by example.

56. Are you mostly happy with life or are you still in pursuit?
    Happy with life as a whole and also still in pursuit of something - not sure what, maybe knowledge and more complete peace and happiness.

57. Are you male or female?
    Female

58. What gives your life meaning?
    My darling grand-daughter, Brooke, and my son and his wife; my loving family and all my great friends! If all else in life was lost, and I had these, life would still be rich.

59. What type of Faerie would you like to be and why?
    The Friend Fairy!

60. One final word of wisdom for LitNet users?
    Happiness is found within yourself. It has to begin there and radiate outward to others.

61. What would you like to ask to the person to be interviewed after you?
    What was your very favorite moment in your life so far?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Lovely interview!

Blog Entries
    I guess I count as one of those Lawrence enthusiasts.

11.Given the option, what animal would you choose to be?
    White Tigress
    You are just too nice and gentle to be a tigress. Except for those few times we discussed politics and you nearly scratched my eyes out.

A wonderful interview Janine. It's wonderful to call you friend.
    Last edited by Virgil; 03-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Wish you the best in the world!! Especially the best for you and your family!

Wonderful interview!!! And you are one of my friends I really want to see
    Art is a lie that leads to the truth.
    --Picasso

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast