Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My fascination with India

Blog Entries

My fascination with India

I have a fascination with Indian culture, and I love reading books that are set in India though I have not had the opportunity to read many, those I have, I really quite enjoyed. I loved Passage to India by Forester, and Kim by Kippiling. I took a class once about the history of India and read this wonderful autobiographical work called Punjabi Century and it traced the life of the author Parakash Tandon and we also had this anthology that was a collection of essays and poetry written by Indian writers which was quite interesting. As well right now in my Child Lit. Class we are reading a Young Adult book called Sold that is about the life of this girl who starts out in Nepal but ends up in India and I enjoyed Son of the Circus by Irving.

So I am interested in any recommendations on books about India and/or set in India, by both Indian and Non-Indian authors.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

closed
    The only thing I can remember reading that might be relevant is Vikram Seths A suitable boy.

I found it a bit difficult to get into but once I did I was thoroughly immersed and although this is a very long book it really didn't feel that way when I read it.

Hope this is useful

I just finished reading V.M. Vassanji's The Assassin's Song and recommend it highly. It is the story of a boy who grows up in rural India, the eldest son of the priest of a shrine dedicated to a 13th-century Sufi holy man. The shrine has passed down through generations, and he's supposed to take it over in turn. But the modern, outside world calls (Sputnik and soccer...) and so it's a destiny he rejects. It's a fascinating and nuanced story, nicely balanced.

Blog Entries
    Sounds very interesting curly I will keep that one in mind

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    You will want to visit this place (these guys/gals are the experts, as a lot of the posters are translators, writers and bloggers of some notoriety):

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...iterature.html

Blog Entries
    We read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy as a lit net forum book club read not too long ago. It was an interesting book. You might want to see the discussion and evaluations here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=39278.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Try V.S. Naipaul's Area of Darkness. Its a travelogue that chronicles the author (who is of Indian-Trinidadian descent) as he returns to India, largely with ambivalent feelings on the country's caste system and poverty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    We read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy as a lit net forum book club read not too long ago. It was an interesting book. You might want to see the discussion and evaluations here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=39278.
    That book is listed as one of the books I would like to read

Blog Entries
    Some of the books that I have read

Difficult Daughters -- Manju Kapoor
    Chokher Bali -- Rabindranath Tagore
    Umrao Jan Ada -- Mirza Muhammad Hadi Ruswa
    Fine Balance -- Rohinton Mistry

Pinjar -- Amrita Pritam ( I havent read it, but I have seen the movie; its set in the partition time)
    Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    We read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy as a lit net forum book club read not too long ago. It was an interesting book.
    I have to second this one.

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Some members here seem to dislike this book, but I thought it was very interesting.

Also, Wife by Bharati Mukherjee. You've probably heard of it. It's about an Indian woman named Dimple who, after an arranged marriage, moves with her husband from Calcutta to NYC. Very moving.

The first thing would be to go there if you have not yet.Reading is much better when you visited the place.I lived 2 years India,4 time 6 month,crossed it twice on a motobike(Emfield) and once with a Ambassador made comvertible.I love the country from the mountain to the sea,the people,the food,the smells even if at time it is a bit special.
    I would not recomande Naipaul who seem to hate the place,i have still to read a book where he not complain about it.
    Fine Balance and familly matter by Rohinton Mistry are great books,the first is terribly hopeless but quite true.
    If you want a bit of atmosphere Paul Theroux with the great railway bazar,bring you across India with knowledgable and picturesque writing.You will trully feel like being there.
    Anything by Mark Tully is good and very sensitive about India.
    Aravind Adiga - The White Tiger is not as bad as people say.It as some good thing.The booker was just too heavy a burden for it.
    The Impressionist, Hari Kunzru was bit strange and weird.
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts is not well written,very clumsy and boasting but one of the book that give an true account of India life in it's diversity.
    Hope it help.

Some more stuff that might prove interesting

you might also want to consider some plays written by Indian authors. I would recommend both Mahesh Dattani & Mahashwetha Devi. Will let you know if anything else pops on my radar. On a different note, i have also enjoyed Amitav Ghosh's books, including most recently, Hungry Tides/The Hungry Tide (I forget the exact title).

I agree with A Fine Balance. I'd also add The Hero's Walk (Anita Rau Badani).

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions Thomas, some sound quite interesting and I will keep such in mind.

Plays could be interesting I enjoy reading plays, they are just sometimes more difficult to find than books

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anything by Rabindranath Tagore! I LOVED the Gitanjali, which is poetry, and Home and the World which is a novel, but with lots of philosophy.
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast