Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do i Write

Blog Entries

Smile Why Do i Write

Some of us write for experience, other does it because it is the love of their lives, a hobbie or the sustainer of their lives.
    For me it is not a love or a work, it is just part of what I am.
    In my writing, there is either experience or style nor great schemes you’ll find; it is just a reflection of a heart that talks where the words are put together as the soul moves on in its life.
    “What am I gonna do now” I asked once.
    And a voice from heaven told me: “You better make it right.”

~~.~~.~~.~~.~~
    I want to improve my writing so far. it is hard to express myself in english but i simply love it. i think i need to find new words and be more creative. any help wil be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post
    Some of us write for experience, other does it because it is the love of their lives, a hobbie or the sustainer of their lives.
    For me it is not a love or a work, it is just part of what I am.
    In my writing, there is either experience or style nor great schemes you’ll find; it is just a reflection of a heart that talks where the words are put together as the soul moves on in its life.
    “What am I gonna do now” I asked once.
    And a voice from heaven told me: “You better make it right.”

~~.~~.~~.~~.~~
    I want to improve my writing so far. it is hard to express myself in english but i simply love it. i think i need to find new words and be more creative. any help wil be appreciated
    Writing is an expansion or manifestation of your beingness.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Sheffield, South Yorks, England. Tha knows.
    Blog Entries
    Why do I write? Purely and simply because I like to try and make people smile! Whilst I admire those who can write to express themselves, or those who genuinely have something to say, I can only assume that I am a pretty shallow character, and if I can make somebody smile, or better still laugh, then I reckon I've done a good day's work.
    Dafydd Manton, A Legend In His Own Lunchtime!! www.dafydd-manton.co.uk

My Work Has Been Spread Over Many Fields!

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    George Orwell wrote a fantastic essay about why people write - I suggest you look it up, as its not very long but dreadfully interesting. He essentially says that a writer does not write because he wants to, but rather because he is driven to. He absolutely has to transfer his thoughts to paper, and the process is one of extreme exertion and pain; the need to write is a demon forcing you onwards. I have to say, I'm very much of a similar opinion. I write because I feel that if I don't, I'll go mad.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I write for many different reasons. One, because I read, and when you read, you begin to develop ideas of your own. Once you have the idea, there's the matter of making other people understand it, or relate to it, so you have to keep practicing!

I write too, like Lokasenna says, because I think I'll go mad.

Then again, sometimes I think I'm already mad, and for that reason I think I write because... The Haleigh that people know in real life, who perpetually loses her keys and forgets her cellphone, whose conversations are generally jumbled and feature too much of the words 'like' and 'you know?' because that combination of shyness and chattiness makes her a mess, and she is a mess - she's very different from the Haleigh who writes, who tries to be as clear as possible, as logical as possible. I've always found that, after I do well on an essay, a teacher treats me differently. I'm not just the girl who stammers and blushes when she gives half-logical answers to questions in class when called upon- I'm not dumb, just cursed with stage fright/answering-questions-in-class fright, and maybe I'm just a little distracted.

I'm not gonna lie, I can be a real airhead at times, truly absent-minded.

So I do what I can.

Writing defines me, it cuts away all the jumble the every day world glues to my physical being. It's what I do, it's who I am.
    Then she would run until morning to ease the ache; swifter than rain, swift as loss, racing to catch up with the time when she had known nothing at all but the sweetness of being herself.

-- Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

For me, writing has always come naurally, even at impressionable ages. You know; before I bagan "finding" myself. But as I grew older, I became my own person and writing was there to help me learn more about who I am and what I'm here to do...I guess its human natue. I've said before, "What is life but the desire for purpose?" I guess that is my reasoning.
    Beyond the clouds, my mind wanders in the stars.

Blog Entries
    I am a concrete heart. It is important that I chip away either from the outside in or vice versa and explore ways to liquify the self. Writing is a great vehicle of expression. Wet ink dries quickly. This is so often me. Lengthy explanations of the self hamper me and I find it difficult to spew out stuff in written word. That is why I try to get around it with other words. Fiction dancing around facts. Ho Hum...

Blog Entries
    oh thank you for your comments....i believed no one would answer back hehehe.
    i think exactly as okasema, i'm driven to write.
    and as i said before it is who i am as well as a little wisp said too.

Quote Originally Posted by a_little_wisp View Post
    Writing defines me, it cuts away all the jumble the every day world glues to my physical being. It's what I do, it's who I am.
    a little wisp, i know what you mean. but you should have more experince than me though
    thank for posting

I write to please---

myself.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    The voices tell me to. No, yes, they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    George Orwell wrote a fantastic essay about why people write - I suggest you look it up, as its not very long but dreadfully interesting. He essentially says that a writer does not write because he wants to, but rather because he is driven to. He absolutely has to transfer his thoughts to paper, and the process is one of extreme exertion and pain; the need to write is a demon forcing you onwards. I have to say, I'm very much of a similar opinion. I write because I feel that if I don't, I'll go mad.
    That's very interesting. That's how I feel, except that I don't write. Well, I have written but I've never finished anything and to me, the effort doesn't count if the outcome isn't there.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, as people seem quite interested, I've found the full text of Orwell's essay:

http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/essays/whyiwrite.htm

Enjoy!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Well, as people seem quite interested, I've found the full text of Orwell's essay:

http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/essays/whyiwrite.htm

Enjoy!
    Thank you Lokasenna. I read it and found it very intresting. I identify myself with the first and second of Orwell´s reason that means I´m a selfish writer hehehe (it sounds worst than it actually is) and I like to write the beauty i see for others too.
    Im not too into politics. I dont like them too much if it doesnt personally affect me. I think politic is such a broad subjet, complex and complicated as well. There are too many personal interest in it. Not worthy to spend my life in it.

Here is a quote I found last night. I had feel this way sometimes though my writing is much more than that.

"Why do writers write? Because it isn´t there" -Thomas Berger.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    The voices tell me to. No, yes, they do.
    lol this made me laugh. i like it.

Writing is a physical phenomenon; even thinking is a physical phenomenon. I want to write because I want to express myself. Something of me calls for outpourings. Why do I choose to wear better clothes? One reason is to warm myself and the other reason is to be different than others.

I have something to say. In fact everyone has something to say, and n life people have always some messages to share. If are sad or have a pain you want to share. I know a story by Chekhov, a very beautiful story. In that story there is a cab driver. Who has lots of painful things in life. But he lived as a recluse, and had no one in life. He used to tell his stories to his customers riding on his cab, but few took interest in listening to him.

But he wanted to share it somehow. As he has no one to listen to his grievances, tales of pains, sufferings. At last he resorts to his horse to share his pains with.

This attributes to the fact that sharing is a human tendency, something inborn. A child cries when he wants to express that he is hungry or sad and smiles to express that he is happy.

And I write with the same motive and with the same urge.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

answers rhetorical ?'s
    Blog Entries
    Does anybody else have the issue of wanting to write, having the inspiration, then sitting down and being unable to make sense of the words you just wrote on the page? When I was younger, I wrote day in and day out. It was a therapy, and the words just never seemed to stop sprouting through my fingertips. As I get older it feels like I cannot produce anything worth reading unless I have a gun pointed at my head. It is so frustrating, feeling that urge, that spark of creativity and not having the capability of tapping into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast