View Poll Results: Which anti-hero would you most like to spend the day with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raskolnikov

14 29.17%
  • Alex (A Clockwork Orange)

0 0%
  • Tyler Durden

2 4.17%
  • Satan (Paradise Lost)

9 18.75%
  • Yossarian

6 12.50%
  • Macbeth

4 8.33%
  • Humbert Humbert

7 14.58%
  • Victor Frankenstein

6 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The clash of the anti-heroes...

Blog Entries

The clash of the anti-heroes...

Ok so I figured there were all these polls on Romantic heroes and on male characters that are the most desirable... but I think that along the way we have forgotten the anti-heroes of books, plays, stories, etc. Those men that fall from grace, or never were moral (by societal standards), or the ones that fall into delirium... murder old ladies and then are driven mad... or well, men that are far from perfect, but oh so intriguing.

So who wins in this type of battle? Or better yet, who would you most like to spend a day with?

Macbeth (need I say it?)
    Alex (A Clockwork Orange)
    Yossarian (Catch 22)
    Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
    Raskolnikov (Crime and Punishment)
    Satan (Paradise Lost)
    Humbert Humbert (Lolita)
    Victor Frankenstein (oh how could he create the monster and then cast him out!)
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Blog Entries
    very well put, joseph... they are the lost men... but perhaps you could gain something from them in one day spent together. Or go mad along with them . Yossarian might just be less isolated, and Satan might spurn you on to revolution.. while Tyler Durden might at least be an interesting guy to talk to...

though I chose Raskolnikov. Who knows why... heh
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think I should enjoy Satan's company, particularly as a dinner guest... just so long as we didn't talk politics!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

It'd be nice to have some intelligent conversation, and I quite liked Humbert. Luckily he wouldn't be any threat to me.

Maybe we'd invite Raskolnikov around for tea.

I voted for Humbert but on reflection I decided that I wouldn't like to spend a day with him.
    Now, Lolita, well............???

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Durden? An anti-hero? O c'mon, he's the enlightened self, or at least. he brought the self to realize who he really is. Otherwise, he would still have measured himself with some sets of Swedish furniture.
    Last edited by subterranean; 02-18-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Lover of all things epic
    First off, what a brilliant question!
    My first impulse was to go with Raskolnikov but, to quote Joseph90ie, I think I could only appreciate him "from a distance", and he probably wouldn't be up to the sort of conversation you could have over lunch. Satan, on the other hand, with his powerful rhetorical skills....

Wow. Check out the complete lack of logic in that sentence ...
    "Haunt me, take any form. Only, do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you."

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Hmmm, I had a hard time choosing between Yossarian, Raskolnikov, and Humbert Humbert. But I eventually went with Yossarian because I love a man in uniform.

Plus, Raskolnikov might get it in his head to come after me with an axe and Humbert Humbert is...well...a pedophile, albeit a brilliant one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
    Durden? An anti-hero? O c'mon, he's the enlightened self, or at least. he brought the self to realize who he really is. Otherwise, he would still have measured himself with some sets of Swedish furniture.
    well he is brilliant in his own way... but as far as literature goes and characters, he would be considered as an anti-hero... and a spectacular one at that. He is flawed... and that's what makes him more interesting

Blog Entries
    Oh I should have thrown in Dorian Gray... ay...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joseph90ie View Post
    lol, true Brian, very true. We're all humbugs, I mean Humberts in that respect!!
    She was only 12 when Humbert met her... goodness, you men...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PoeticPassions View Post
    well he is brilliant in his own way... but as far as literature goes and characters, he would be considered as an anti-hero... and a spectacular one at that. He is flawed... and that's what makes him more interesting
    Ok, noted. This is pretty much a subjective point of view. But anyway, I would prefer to see Gollum in the list instead of Durden .

Macbeth all the way!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Out of the list, definitely either Raskolnikov or the Paradise Lost version of Satan. I chose Raskolnikov because, yes, one could consider him a villain, and he acts impulsively, yet he also seems so thoughtful, emotional, introspective, and an excellent observer; towards the end of Crime and Punishment, I think he ends up more as another victim than a villain, a victim of the tortures from his own mind - remorse, shame, obsession.
    I also chose Satan of Paradise Lost because . . . well, who can imagine a more intelligent and manipulative villain? Simply said.

Out of any literary villain I can think of, I would feel fascinated to meet Mephistopheles of Faust by Goethe. Though a metaphorical version of Satan himself, in human form, I cannot think of any villain as cunning, witty, nor convincing, yet so torturous while maintaining his composure, as him.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I think I should enjoy Satan's company, particularly as a dinner guest... just so long as we didn't talk politics!
    But religion is okay right?

Loved your post!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast