Thread: A man marries to have a home, (...)

Question A man marries to have a home, (...)

A man marries to have a home, but also because he doesn't want to be bothered with sex and all that sort of thing.(S. Maugham)

I don't understand what the last clause means. Can you help me? come on just any idea... was it because he was gay? or because he didn't want to be bothered as regards his sexuality? help me plz!!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, first thing that came to my mind was I thought the reason he said that because man would find it easier to fulfill his biological needs once he has a wife. But as I asked my friend, who happen to be a male, he said that it is meant to be a joke, an ironic statement since, according to him, it is a common thought (among men in this case) that people, when they got married, they'd have less sexual intercourse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina61285 View Post
    A man marries to have a home, but also because he doesn't want to be bothered with sex and all that sort of thing.(S. Maugham)

I don't understand what the last clause means. Can you help me? come on just any idea... was it because he was gay? or because he didn't want to be bothered as regards his sexuality? help me plz!!!!!
    Well, let me put it this way, sex drops off in frequency after the first year of marriage. Maugham seems to be blaming the male of the couple, but frankly when I have discussed this with other married men, we've come to the conclusion it's the female side of the equation that seems to be the culprit.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

I agree with Virgil. Just the Maugham wit in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Well, let me put it this way, sex drops off in frequency after the first year of marriage. Maugham seems to be blaming the male of the couple, but frankly when I have discussed this with other married men, we've come to the conclusion it's the female side of the equation that seems to be the culprit.
    oh ok!!! so It's because there is not much sex in a marriage specially because of women. It's a joke. OK. he is being ironic not giving an statement.

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
    Well, first thing that came to my mind was I thought the reason he said that because man would find it easier to fulfill his biological needs once he has a wife. But as I asked my friend, who happen to be a male, he said that it is meant to be a joke, an ironic statement since, according to him, it is a common thought (among men in this case) that people, when they got married, they'd have less sexual intercourse.
    thanks