View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Austen Hero and why?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Fredrick Wentworth

21 34.43%
  • Edmund Bertram

1 1.64%
  • Edward Ferrars

0 0%
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy

23 37.70%
  • George Knightley

10 16.39%
  • Henry Tilney

3 4.92%
  • Colonel Brandon

3 4.92%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Jane Austen hero vote

P.s - in the movie version in the infamous scene where COlin Firth is soaked and bumps into Jane as she is looking around the grounds - did you not see how ...sexy he looked, or the very subtle way she looked at him up and down? That's where I got my idea from - she changed her mind when she saw his grounds all right! Definitely a metaphor for something else !
    Yep, there was something more going on... Besides of course branding poor Firth and Darcy as sex symbols there was thankfully a deeper theme of washing, baptism and transformation in Darcy. At least Firth was not undressed for nothing. Although, that wuld also have been ok...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    wentworth is the best!
    We both know this. Obviously 9 others feel the same. But how are we all going to convince the rest of the world that this is a fact?

After Scott's Ivanhoe, Persuasion is on the shelf. If there is some time left, I could help you out, but I'm not making any promises...

Darcy is too lovely. Ferrars nor Brandon, nor Willoughby could beat him, though. So there there might be hope for Wentworth according to this poll...
    Last edited by kiki1982; 03-22-2009 at 04:22 PM.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyWentworth View Post
    We both know this. Obviously 9 others feel the same. But how are we all going to convince the rest of the world that this is a fact?
    Hypnosis?

If that fails - make them vote at gun point.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Oh...

Feel a strange urge...

Vote for Wentworth...

Hand going up...

No, no, I don't want to...

Hand going, ugh, difficult to hold back...

'And your back in the room'.

Sorry, my own will is too strong, I'm afraid. But maybe this Austen book will become one in-betweenie as well...

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    What makes Wentworth so "irresistible"?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I voted Darcy, although I confess that I'm most familiar with Darcy and Knightley (who was a very close second) and am only passingly aware of Edward Ferrars.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVln...om=PL&index=11
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    What makes Wentworth so "irresistible"?
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Is it the actor or Wenthworth we are covetting?

In my opinion, throughout the book he fails to show any existence so couple of lines in a letter fail to win me over.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Yep, there was something more going on... Besides of course branding poor Firth and Darcy as sex symbols there was thankfully a deeper theme of washing, baptism and transformation in Darcy. At least Firth was not undressed for nothing. Although, that wuld also have been ok...
    I watched P&P again on Sunday, for Mother's Day, my treat. I voted for Darcy, but Wentworth and Knightley are close runners up. Did you know though, that it wasn't Colin Firth swimming in that pond? It was a stuntman, as it was too dangerous apparently, he could have caught something. I don't suppose the fact that the stuntman could have too crossed their minds? I have to say that my mother, who is in her 70s, is obsessed with Darcy/Firth now after seeing the adaptation. She has bought the dvd for virtually everyone she knows, and even talks to complete strangers about it/him. He obviously did such a fantastic job that she's besotted .

Quote Originally Posted by warm View Post
    Pemberley just seems like one of the most awesome places to stay in.

And its owner is very rich and handsome, so I'll vote for Darcy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post

Oh...

Feel a strange urge...

Vote for Wentworth...

Hand going up...

No, no, I don't want to...

Hand going, ugh, difficult to hold back...

'And your back in the room'.

Sorry, my own will is too strong, I'm afraid. But maybe this Austen book will become one in-betweenie as well...

Need a stronger dose...and how do you know I didn't make you vote under hypnosis and then for your own peace of mind make you believe what you wrote above? Anything is possible under hypnosis....

Oh Rupert Jones is gorgeous, not exactly a great actor but loved him in Persuasion.
    Last edited by optimisticnad; 03-24-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Blog Entries
    One doesnt fall for Wentworth because he's got money and a beautiful house, one falls for his unwavering love and passion.
    Last edited by Niamh; 03-24-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

I do believe in fairies hollylite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warm View Post
    Mr Darcy. I just love how he's able to change himself to get the woman he loves.
    And! Pemberley just seems like one of the most awesome places to stay in.
    I agree there. I love Mr. Darcy too. he can just be a jerk at times.
    I do believe in fairies......
    If you think I'm odd, so what...
    Yes I do believe in fairies.

Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    I watched P&P again on Sunday, for Mother's Day, my treat. I voted for Darcy, but Wentworth and Knightley are close runners up. Did you know though, that it wasn't Colin Firth swimming in that pond? It was a stuntman, as it was too dangerous apparently, he could have caught something. I don't suppose the fact that the stuntman could have too crossed their minds? I have to say that my mother, who is in her 70s, is obsessed with Darcy/Firth now after seeing the adaptation. She has bought the dvd for virtually everyone she knows, and even talks to complete strangers about it/him. He obviously did such a fantastic job that she's besotted .
    Yeah, I did know, I saw a documentary about costume drama on ITV... Anyway, did you know that that scene was actually meant as a nude scene, but that Firth had mroblems with it? Lucky strike actually, because Darcy was much nicer with his wet shirt...

Your mother is great! Firth will pleased to know that his sex appeal goes as far as ladies in their 70s. If he can't get girls like Bridget Jones, nothing's lost... Damn, he's married.

But anyway, it was a great adaptation. I wrote something on it on my blog. It is amazing how consistent it was...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast