View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Austen Hero and why?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Fredrick Wentworth

21 34.43%
  • Edmund Bertram

1 1.64%
  • Edward Ferrars

0 0%
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy

23 37.70%
  • George Knightley

10 16.39%
  • Henry Tilney

3 4.92%
  • Colonel Brandon

3 4.92%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Jane Austen hero vote

I've only read one and the BBC version is brill so...Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by warm View Post
    Mr Darcy. I just love how he's able to change himself to get the woman he loves.
    And! Pemberley just seems like one of the most awesome places to stay in.
    So, you, too, have fallen in love with him because of "his beautiful grounds at Pemberley". Yes, yes, you think he is an OK guy, too. But admit it. The thought of being mistress to that place would probably be the best part of it all.

Geez, I'm surprised Darcy isn't winning. I wouldn't have put Tinley there though, since he is an anti-romantic hero, deliberately, and is a satirical hero on the romance, rather than an aspect of the romance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warm View Post
    Well, technically I believe his ultimate aim was to make himself agreeable in Elizabeth's eyes; and in doing so, he not only gets her, but also, as you said, corrected himself in the defects in his character which Elizabeth had found disgusting at first.

It's just wonderful how Austen created such lovely characters to have us so torn between choosing the more favoured one. XD
    I believe his meetings with Jane after his declaration of love weren't planned therefore he had no idea whether by working on his defects he would be more agreeable to Elizabeth; which is why I said he 'worked' on himself not because he knew he would see her again and wanted her to like him but rather simply because the woman he loved found his defects. Whether she was in his life or not he was a better person for simply having known her. Now that's love! Aww. . .

And yeah 'totally', Austen created wonderful men. . . sigh...men on paper hey.
    Last edited by optimisticnad; 03-12-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Blog Entries
    I voted for Wentworth; I liked his quiet reserve and of course the letter was amazing. However, I also wanted to vote for Knightly. I've always seen him as setting Emma straight; she needed to be put in her place (I did not find it lecturing at all; she asked for it when she was so rude to people who she considered lower than herself). I had great sympathy for him hiding his love until the ending of the book. He seemed to have a lot of deep compassion for number of the characters. He sets things right at the end and I liked that about him. He stuck to his principals. I was amazed to find him so unpopular around here. Oh well, at least in the film version I watched (first I read the book), I really did look up to Knightly as a heroic character.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyWentworth View Post
    So, you, too, have fallen in love with him because of "his beautiful grounds at Pemberley". Yes, yes, you think he is an OK guy, too. But admit it. The thought of being mistress to that place would probably be the best part of it all.
    I've always got the impression that 'his beautiful grounds at Pemberley' were a metaphor for something else...

We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticnad View Post
    I've always got the impression that 'his beautiful grounds at Pemberley' were a metaphor for something else...

I never thought about that before. Now, you've got me thinking it, too.

Blog Entries
    only Opti could have thought of that!

This poll is starting to show a preference! Go Wentworth!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    This is amazing. I cannot stand Wentworth!

~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Ooh choices, choices! I love Darcy and Wentworth, and Knightley! However, much as I adore Wentworth, I get seasick, so today I feel like experiencing the "wonderful grounds at Pemberley" . Tomorrow I may feel more adventurous, and decide on travelling with Wentworth, or I may feel like being talked sternly to by Knightley . They're all lovely, but I will go with Darcy today, (even though I voted Wentworth on another poll).
    Last edited by wessexgirl; 03-12-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    This is amazing. I cannot stand Wentworth!

you did not just say that! no way! oh my god...I've always looked up to you and been rather intimidated but...come on! that's it! no more. Why? Why don't you like Wentworth? I'm so relived that for once Darcy isn't winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    only Opti could have thought of that!

And yes, Wentworth all the way...(until I pick up P&P again in the summer, or the next Austen novel?)

I'm so relived that for once Darcy isn't winning.
    Oooh....I hope that you didn't just jinx that!
    I want my Wentworth to remain #1!!!

Blog Entries
    P.s - in the movie version in the infamous scene where COlin Firth is soaked and bumps into Jane as she is looking around the grounds - did you not see how ...sexy he looked, or the very subtle way she looked at him up and down? That's where I got my idea from - she changed her mind when she saw his grounds all right! Definitely a metaphor for something else !

Quote Originally Posted by LadyWentworth View Post
    Oooh....I hope that you didn't just jinx that!
    I want my Wentworth to remain #1!!!
    Well he needs 8 more votes, I propose we now hide this thread so no one else can vote - or close it, we've got a winner now!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

you did not just say that! no way! oh my god...I've always looked up to you and been rather intimidated but...come on! that's it! no more. Why? Why don't you like Wentworth? I'm so relived that for once Darcy isn't winning.

Really? You have looked up to me??? But you surely need not to. I bet you are taller than me!

What makes Wentworth interesting or attractive? He barely shows anything throughout the novel. I like Tilney far better he shows some sense of humour.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Really? You have looked up to me??? But you surely need not to. I bet you are taller than me!

What makes Wentworth interesting or attractive? He barely shows anything throughout the novel. I like Tilney far better he shows some sense of humour.
    You're the boss around here!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast