View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Austen Hero and why?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Fredrick Wentworth

21 34.43%
  • Edmund Bertram

1 1.64%
  • Edward Ferrars

0 0%
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy

23 37.70%
  • George Knightley

10 16.39%
  • Henry Tilney

3 4.92%
  • Colonel Brandon

3 4.92%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Jane Austen hero vote

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticnad View Post

Need a stronger dose...and how do you know I didn't make you vote under hypnosis and then for your own peace of mind make you believe what you wrote above? Anything is possible under hypnosis....
    Because my computer was not hypnotised and according to this forum I can still vote and that doesn't work when I have already done so. Unless of course you meddled with my computer and the server...

But I've felt ever so strange since yesterday... Maybe something happened anyway...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    One doesnt fall for Wentworth because he's got money and a beautiful house, one falls for his unwavering love and passion.
    BRAVO! Couldn't have said it better.

17! Everytime I come back to check this thread Darcy has more votes. So...I think it's all my fault! If i stop checking...who knows.... I'm also suspicious that some people here, not all so don't jump down my throat please (especially when i'm stressed about tomorrow), as I was saying I suspect some people have only read P and P and know about the hype and how wonderful Darcy is and that beyond that initial attraction and fame they know nothing of substance. Now I'm going to be plagued with hate emails - I wouldn't normally mind but could I please request that you wait until after tomorrow? Thank you.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Man, I'll have tread Persuasion damn quick. Even better than Darcy Wentworth seems to be... But that is why I don't vote, because I haven't read Emma nor Persuasion and going by the votes, I can't really call it a responsible vote to presume Darcy is the best, 'cause it seems to be very close...

Ciaran Hinds played him and I saw a little piece of that (their first kiss in Bath with a carnival going past). He is indeed subtle, but not less a man for it...
    Last edited by kiki1982; 05-11-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: oops, just a little mistake against logic. Sorry, Wentworth...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Rejoyce! Unless Austen's original hero was worse than Hinds played him (which is hardly possible. When does the man actually play not brilliantly?) there might be another Wentworth-lover voting for Wentworth.

Today I was watching JE 1997 again on YouTube and bumped into Wentworth. Waw, what a man! The end... It just all came tumbling down and revealed fireworks.

I have almost finished Dorian Gray and I am eager to start on Persuasion without a doubt. Hopefully I can still wait for the end of Dorian Gray because I'm really thinking about starting tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Rejoyce! Unless Austen's original hero was worse than Hinds played him (which is hardly possible. When does the man actually play not brilliantly?) there might be another Wentworth-lover voting for Wentworth.

Today I was watching JE 1997 again on YouTube and bumped into Wentworth. Waw, what a man! The end... It just all came tumbling down and revealed fireworks.

I have almost finished Dorian Gray and I am eager to start on Persuasion without a doubt. Hopefully I can still wait for the end of Dorian Gray because I'm really thinking about starting tonight!
    Hi Kiki, take a look over on Celebrity Crushes, as Ciaran is on my list

I love Ciaran Hinds too, TMOC is so sad, and he was just the best ever Wentworth in Persuasion and was great as Rochester. (but my favourite ever Rochester is Toby Stephens). He seems to excel in these period roles doesn't he? Julius Caesar was brilliant too.

Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    Hi Kiki, take a look over on Celebrity Crushes, as Ciaran is on my list

I love Ciaran Hinds too, TMOC is so sad, and he was just the best ever Wentworth in Persuasion and was great as Rochester. (but my favourite ever Rochester is Toby Stephens). He seems to excel in these period roles doesn't he? Julius Caesar was brilliant too.

Thanks for the tip. IMDb is also great to look at. Most actors have great biographies although Hinds seems to be a problem as he has kept himself anonymous despite the celberity craze...

Anyway. I liked Hinds better than Stephens. I found Stephens too soft, but that was maybe his script... I think that 1997 JE was well on its way to be another definitive adaptation (much as P&P, also partly an A&E-production), only they decided to downsize it a little. This Rochester could have been the best, but had an insufficient script. Toby Stephens I found too soft and not superior enough and foremost unrealistic as a 40-year-old. Although the man was about forty, I thought that he looked too young for his part, whereas Hinds was about right. Stephens can't help it, but maybe they should have done something about it. I also thought that Hinds' natural flair in cotume drama greatly contributed to his manner of 'having spent no day anywhere else than in these clothes and this Victorian world'. Stephens' posture and manner of walking I didn't find really attracttive and much too ungentlemanly (legs wide open is a no-no for a Victorian gentleman). But then maybe we should look at what the director told him to do to a certain extent...

And you know what he didn't even read JE 'because you should never put anything more in a script than there is in it'. Amazing. Just shows you how right the script was and how much he studied it.

But anyway, I am clearly biassed .

Ukiah, California - in a place too small for all of the books I'd like to have
    I voted for Wentworth. That letter always gets to the heart of me. <sigh>
    A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.
    -- Winnie the Pooh

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    It's all about Darcy!!

I'm glad no one voted for Edward Ferrers. What a pansy.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Ukiah, California - in a place too small for all of the books I'd like to have
    I've always much preferred Colonel Brandon over Edward. I agree with the word "pansy" - something Brandon was not!
    A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.
    -- Winnie the Pooh

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    pfft I am going to have to reread all the Austens now arent I? Ive never seen the appeal of Darcy, and though Mansfield Park is by far my fav, Edmund is a right Twit, in fact come to think of it from memory they all wanted there heads smashing tgether. Pomppos annoying and self rightous, buht I will reread to make sure this isnt just the mists of time clouding my memory.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Anne View Post
    I've always much preferred Colonel Brandon over Edward. I agree with the word "pansy" - something Brandon was not!
    Oh yes, I think Brandon should have been on the list! He's right up there with Darcy!! No pansy there
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

I agree about Colonel Brandon. Creme of a guy and so very moderate in his judgment... How he solves a little of the problem for Ferrars. Charming...

Don't you just love that piece at the end where Austen writs:

'A three weeks' residence at Delaford, where, in his evening hours at least, he had little to do but calculate the disproportion between thirty-six and seventeen, brought him to Barton in a temper of mind which needed all the improvement in Marianne's looks, all the kindness of her welcome, and all the encouragement of her mother's language, to make it cheerful.'

I can just see it now, Colonel Brandon alone in his mansion and doing nothing else but asking himself whether he would dare to ask... And being thrown back and forth between decisions. Poor man... And he doesn't even know what they said about him in the beginning. Knowing that, he might just not have bothered:

'Colonel Brandon is old enough to be my father; and if he were ever animated enough to be in love, must have long outlived every sensation of the kind. It is too ridiculous! When is a man to be safe from such wit, if age and infirmity will not protect him?'

What? 36 and one is not allowed to fall in love anymore?

'Did not you hear him complain of the rheumatism? and is not that the commonest infirmity of declining life?'

and:

'But he talked of flannel waistcoats and with me a flannel waistcoat is invariably connected with aches, cramps, rheumatisms, and every species of ailment that can afflict the old and the feeble.'

Makes me think how lucky we are now that our men of 36 are not 'old and feeble' or 'infirm' and still have a long time to go before their life will be declining... .

Waw, what a book. Darcy was something, but Wentworth... There is indeed no beating him.

I started three days ago reading that thing. It must be a record. Pride and Prejudice was a record, but Persuasion beat it.

It'll have to be a vote for Frederick, for his letter and his words afterwards.

Blog Entries
    Brandon has been added.

Although i admit i do have a soft spot for Ferrars.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

I agree with Ferrars. He's a lovely guy. Only, had been a little rash in his youth with that Lucy-girl... But I think, out of the two, Brandon is the lovelier man because he cared for the natural daughter of that old love of his...

Although, Willoughby gets redeemed a little in the end. Shame that it is too late for him...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast