View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Austen Hero and why?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Fredrick Wentworth

21 34.43%
  • Edmund Bertram

1 1.64%
  • Edward Ferrars

0 0%
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy

23 37.70%
  • George Knightley

10 16.39%
  • Henry Tilney

3 4.92%
  • Colonel Brandon

3 4.92%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jane Austen hero vote

Blog Entries

The Jane Austen hero vote

So, all of us are different, and not all of us like the same books to most.
    So this is my question, which Jane Austen Hero was your favourite and Why?
    Mine is Captain Wentworth. Why? Do i need to explain! what a heart! and the letter! (Why cant men really be like that.)
    Last edited by Niamh; 02-17-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Agreed, Wentworth's letter is simply one of the most heartfelt I've ever read - especially in an Austen novel!

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. Wentworth seems like he's going to be popular!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

For me, it was choice between Bertram, Wentworth and Darcy...
    And I chose Edmund Bertram... Don't know, how to explain)
    Ваших душ безлиственную осень
    Мне нравится в потемках освещать...(с)

Blog Entries
    Really? Edmund? I admit i did like him, but i spent most of the book screaming at him to open his god damn eyes! (same way i did with Roger Hamley in Wives and Daughers by Gaskell Although i like Roger more than Edmund!) I think i prefered Henry Tilney more than Edmund, and Mr Knightley the least of all.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    i spent most of the book screaming at him to open his god damn eyes!
    Yes, I spent it in such a way, but then it was really joy, that he did it at last!
    Yesterday I reread Northanger abbey and now I am in favour of Henry Tilney))) So, it depends on what novel I read the last)))
    Ваших душ безлиственную осень
    Мне нравится в потемках освещать...(с)

Blog Entries
    *bump*
    come on people!
    W.B.Yeats

Yeah, I would have to agree that Tilney is better than Edmund. I might like Knightley better than Edmund, though. I suppose it doesn't matter, but I actually like Colonel Brandon better than any of the others that are listed here (excluding Wentworth of course!!! ).

Blog Entries
    I voted Wentworth

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise."

-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

im going for mr knightley, he's so sure of himself without being rude. and i like the way he and emma argue; he's the only guy in the book who knows where everybody stands.

wentworth spent half the book flirting with the musgrove girls. nearly fainted at louisa's accident. call that romantic.
    Last edited by GX4146; 03-12-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Mr Darcy. I just love how he's able to change himself to get the woman he loves.
    And! Pemberley just seems like one of the most awesome places to stay in.

Blog Entries
    Wentworth of course!

And he's in the lead! Go Wentworth, Go Wentworth, Go Wentworth....
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GX4146 View Post
    im going for mr knightley, he's so sure of himself without being rude. and i like the way he and emma argue; he's the only guy in the book who knows where everybody stands.

wentworth spent half the book flirting with the musgrove girls. nearly fainted at louisa's accident. call that romantic.

He did not flirt with the Musgrove girls! He was being friendly and complete unaware that his motives and actions were being misintrpreted. And that he nearly fainted at Louisa's accident - does not make him any less of a man but rather a sensitive man! Now that's romantic.

Mr Knightley - ok I guess but please - the letures the man can give! I wouldn't survive a week living with him! And he's rather ...judgemental, yeah that's the word!
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warm View Post
    Mr Darcy. I just love how he's able to change himself to get the woman he loves.
    And! Pemberley just seems like one of the most awesome places to stay in.
    Darcy is second to Wentworth I'm afraid. I wish Austen did a character with both their qualities combined. And yes it's admirable how Darcy is able to work on his defects - not to get the woman he loves - but rather because the woman he loved found them, he didn't know she would return his feelings, he just wanted to be a better person just for knowing her. Hang on...perhaps Darcy is the best...wait no...Wentworth....Darcy... damn...

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticnad View Post
    Darcy is second to Wentworth I'm afraid. I wish Austen did a character with both their qualities combined. And yes it's admirable how Darcy is able to work on his defects - not to get the woman he loves - but rather because the woman he loved found them, he didn't know she would return his feelings, he just wanted to be a better person just for knowing her. Hang on...perhaps Darcy is the best...wait no...Wentworth....Darcy... damn...
    Well, technically I believe his ultimate aim was to make himself agreeable in Elizabeth's eyes; and in doing so, he not only gets her, but also, as you said, corrected himself in the defects in his character which Elizabeth had found disgusting at first.

It's just wonderful how Austen created such lovely characters to have us so torn between choosing the more favoured one. XD

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast