Thread: Dantesque Movie Please

Ludmila607
    Vivo en Uruguay.SOy docente y tengo dos hijos.Escribo poesia.Disfruto la musica y la naturaleza.

Dantesque Movie Please

I think there should be some talented cinema director )it could be italian or american italian) could be doing a great movie by intance of Tha Divine Commedy.
    We are living turbulent times all sins are untied and shown.All crimes are justified ..all aberrations forgived...(by human justice)
    The Divine Commedy its about God Justice...understanding justice from an absolute perspective...
    misericordy isnt negligence...
    I would love to see a good movie inspired on Dantes ideas.the director could chose actors, the bests from all the countries...making universal casting to have only the best.
    Good brasilian, mexican, spanish, italian, greek,french, german,american actors to make the movie the new millenium is asking for....
    I can think of many, still alive, actors to the shocking characters and theyr sins and punishments.
    So, if not now...

Blog Entries
    I'm Italian-American. If someone were to give a a budget of $25M dollars, I would be glaed to make the movie.

Seriously there should be a good movie on The Divine Comedy. I would love to see it.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    I agree. A good modern take on the Divine Comedy is long overdue.

Any ideas on why there haven't been any high-profile attempts lately? I think perhaps directors feel the themes are too medieval. Or perhaps they feel like there is simply no plot, just a character traveling from circle to circle, sphere to sphere.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilde woman View Post
    I agree. A good modern take on the Divine Comedy is long overdue.

Any ideas on why there haven't been any high-profile attempts lately? I think perhaps directors feel the themes are too medieval. Or perhaps they feel like there is simply no plot, just a character traveling from circle to circle, sphere to sphere.

Thoughts?
    I think the plot is kind of episodic and limited in central characters. The beauty of The Divine Comedy is the imagery and sybolism, as well as the sybolism and poetic language. Not sure that would translate well to a movie screen. But peraps I'm wrong. Perhaps they think the religious themes would not sell today. If they think that, they think wrong. Look at how big Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" was.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Lover of all things epic
    I would also love to see a cinematic adaptation of the Divine Comedy
    As far as the central characters go, I think the relationship between Dante and Virgil is very deep, and strong enough to hold a film presence, it's something that fascinates me on a human level even more than the larger religious and social themes that the epic explores. I'm always touched by the moment in 'Purgatorio' when Dante turns around to find that Virgil has gone.
    "Haunt me, take any form. Only, do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you."

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I'm always touched by the moment in 'Purgatorio' when Dante turns around to find that Virgil has gone.
    Me too. I think that is the most heartbreaking moment of the entire Comedy. It's patently unfair that Virgil does not get to ascend to Heaven with Dante, but I understand Dante's argument behind it. Still, so unfair!

And I think you're right that there are lots of human relationships that films could emphasize, rather than simply focusing on the plot. There's the relationship between Dante and Beatrice, Dante and Pope Boniface VIII, Dante and Ulysses, Dante and Cacciaguida, etc. etc. And I think that the three-pronged test Dante has to endure at the hands of St. Peter, St. James, and St. John could be made really dramatic.

seasonably mediocre Il Penseroso's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The movie Irreversible is loosely based on The Divine Comedy (mostly paralleling the structure - starting you out in basically the worst place imaginabe and working toward "paradise." However, the points it makes are basically antithetical to Dante (it's called Irreversible because it works backwards, rather than forwards, in time.)

That said, this is probably the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. What it sets out to do is extremely well done, IMHO.
    and somehow a dog
    has taken itself & its tail considerably away
    into the mountains or sea or sky, leaving
    behind: me, wag.
    - John Berryman

Ludmila607
    Vivo en Uruguay.SOy docente y tengo dos hijos.Escribo poesia.Disfruto la musica y la naturaleza.

Start saving then...

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I'm Italian-American. If someone were to give a a budget of $25M dollars, I would be glaed to make the movie.

Seriously there should be a good movie on The Divine Comedy. I would love to see it.

I am sure you have good ideas for the film.So get some support or start saving...
    I think Coppola could be taking advantage right now.
    Hurry!!!

Ludmila607
    I attently read your post.
    I think the rare about Dantes Divine Comedy its tha can be really according to
    our time...like Shakeaspeare is...
    What he shows on his masterpiece we all can interprete...
    Posmodern society have some of Medieval at the end...

Ludmila607
    Have you think a bout the players of this roles?
    Who can play Dante?
    We coul prepare a list to help the director. hahaha

Ludmila607
    I will like to find out more about this movie.
    Please let us know.

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if I would like a Divne Comedy film adaption, mainly becasue I'm usually uncomfortable with adaptions of immortal classics. But an Italian Dantesque film, now that's an idea!
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

They have made a Gaming interpretation of Inferno already. It is promptly called "Dante's Inferno" and, they went all out with the gruesome details. I would gladly pay money to see it.