Thread: Do you think this is flowery and overwritten?

Do you think this is flowery and overwritten?

I have never been able to make up my mind about the famous opening to Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. What do you think?

"Oxford, in those days, was still a city of aquatint. In her spacious and quiet streets men walked and spoke as they had done in Newman's day; her autumnal mists, her grey springtime, and the rare glory of her summer days- such as that day- when the chestnut was in flower and the bells rang out high and clear over her gables and cupolas, exhaled the soft airs of centuries of youth. It was this cloistral hush which gave our laughter its resonance, and carried it still, joyously, over the intervening clamour."
    Last edited by WICKES; 02-13-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I personally love it. The air of soft, coloured nostalgia anticipates (and also in a sense undermines) many of the themes of the novel.

Beyond that, I think that, in and of itself, the eloquence is masterful.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Yes, the periphrasis is laid on quite thick.

No, I think the writing pushes to the limits of what I would define as overwritten or purple prose. The last sentence in particular is the only one that really bothered me.

The imagery is evocative, but never goes overboard into the ridiculous or over-the-top. I can see why someone might accuse it of being overwrought, but I am of the opinion that it pushes the flowery language to the limit without crossing the boundary into what would be considered "bad" writing.
    Last edited by Drkshadow03; 02-13-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Drkshadow03 View Post
    No, I think the writing pushes to the limits of what I would define as overwritten or purple prose. The last sentence in particular is the only one that really bothered me.

The imagery is evocative, but never goes overboard into the ridiculous or over-the-top. I can see why someone might accuse it of being overwrought, but I am of the opinion that it pushes the flowery language to the limit without crossing the boundary into what would be considered "bad" writing.
    Yes I would agree with that. There are obvious purple patches but it works very well overall, creates a beautiful evocative image of Oxford.

There is a fine line between descriptive and flowery but I think it captures the yearning nostalgic feel. Remember Charles is an artist and this is surely going to affect how he speaks.

I try not to be judgemental. I kinda like it/

I like it.

If people deride that as flowery, I wonder what they make of some of Wilde's writing in TPoDG.

I didn't read that novel. I think that passage is fairly ordinary, no problems with it. I would just pass on through to the next paragraph without really thinking about it: one of those countless non-descript linking passages that are part and parcel of every story. I suppose it's nice enough, has a soft light to it. It does the job and opens the story, and that's all that's needed. It opens the door to the story without too much fanfare. Anything more would've been much ado about nothing!

It's elegiac and accurately conveys the atmosphere of the town at the times Charles is writing about. I like it --- and loved the book, BTW.

I really like it, but then I like Waugh. As has already been mentioned, it evokes a nostalgic Oxford for Charles. Not too flowery at all.