Thread: ignorance

ignorance

i wrote this on a whim. i hope u enjoy....

there once was a man who lived a quiet life. he was unimposing, often shy and when firmly put to the test would always fall short. his life was a penurous one; his health was not good either, and as for his wit there was none to be found.
    the dear reader may then infer that this man, who from now on will be called Bob, was an unhappy fellow. however, as i've mentioned it you will now realise that he was just the opposite of miserable. he was jovial, in his own little way. and why was he jovial, despite all his natural and social disadvantages? read on-

Bob awoke on a sorry August morning. it was a morning that almost forbid Bob from getting out of bed, so cold and damp was his bedroom. however he did rise saying, 'my job is for the good of man. i will work hard today and be happy.'
    Bob walked to work down the boring and chill streets that homed his life. inspite of all the decrepit and horrid houses, Bob thought to himself, 'this is a wonderful city, the best on earth.'
    Bob arrived at work and walked to his workstation, where he would for the next ten hours screw bolts onto metal plates. it was very tedious work, but as previously stated, Bob thought his job a positive one; one worth a man's efforts.
    At the half hour lunch break, the factory whistle went to declare the short break as having commenced. Bob walked to the canteen, which was staffed by an uncharitable lot, and ate the usual; stale bread, water and stale air. not much, but Bob thought to himself, 'this is all i require, i am provided for. i am a lucky man.'
    Bob endured the tedium of his shift and again walked the streets, this time back home. as ever though he stopped off at his local pub for a swift half. he ordered his bitter, sat at his usual table and watched the people present. he stretched out his tired legs and breathed a contented sigh thinking to himself, 'what a worthwhile day. i have done what man was made for.' just then an altercation broke out at the far end of the bar. Bob watched the proceedings calmly, as men slugged at each other, rattled jaws and in general impinged upon their fellows conciousness with fists like hammers. Bob watched all this, and when the final few teeth had leapt to freedom, Bob thought to himself, 'what fine citizens i am surrounded by. this country surely has the grandest of souls.'
    Bob finally finished his drink and walked home by himself. he looked up at the stars and for a moment became melancholy. however as soon as he had felt this he rebuked himself thinking, 'the stars are not homes of worth, it is far better here.'
    Bob lay in his hard bed and soon drifted off into a deep sleep, where as the reader may guess, Bob had an enlightening dream-
    'Wake up Bob, there is no time for that. we must go and see.'
    'See what?' asked Bob, wondering who was in his room.
    into the slanting light that passed through Bob's inadequate curtains, slid a tall figure. bent at the shoulders slightly and with a swarthy complexion. most notable though was the eyes of this man, for they glowed with an angelic whiteness, the sort of pure white that shocks even the fresh winter snow into abashed coyness.
    'see the truth!' answered the mysterious stranger with all the enigmatic qualities to be expected from such a character. Bob was greatly surprised by all this, but casually stood and dressed in compliance to the strange man's request.
    the two went outside together and began to stroll down the streets.
    'what do you think of these streets Bob, this city?'
    'it is the best city on earth surely.'
    'No! it is horrible.' and then the curtain lifted from Bob's eyes and he saw the poverty in all its stark cruelty. the two walked on together.
    'do you like your job Bob?'
    'yes it is for the good of man, and i enjoy it.'
    'No! it is horrible,' spake the man again. and again the curtain was lifted and Bob knew the truth. his job was part of making machines of war, and then Bob was sorry and saddened by his years of toil. the two men went to the canteen.
    'what do you think of your food Bob?'
    'i receive what i require. i enjoy it.'
    'No! it is the cheapest food your masters can afford. they treat you worse than a beast.' again the curtain lifted from Bob's eyes and he felt cheated and hungry, like a man starved of food and the truth. the two men now left the factory and passed onto the pub, where again there was a fight.
    'what do you think of your fellow citizens Bob?'
    'they are the last thing i now believe in. they are good and honest.'
    'No! they are wicked and violent, and given the chance they would kill you for a penny.'
    this final curtain fell and as it did Bob leapt from his sleep and said-
    'O cruel world. all i had was ignorance and now it is gone.'

No offense, but I won't read this until you use proper grammar and punctuations; whim, or no.

you must mean, 'proper grammar and punctuation'. just imagine the capital letters

Okay, I imagined. I still stand by my wanting punctuation(s)...haha.

Anyways, so this was kind of depressing. I'm curious to know if this is your thought on the current state of the world, or just an inspired idea. If it's your thoughts on the world, I am sad for you; although, I can see where the idea comes from. It would be nice for Bob if he could find something to believe in, for if he believes in nothing, then what's the point of living...perhaps that's your point. I don't know. Perhaps he's in Hell.

So, I guess overall, I liked it mainly because it made me think; as you can read in the above paragraph. I do feel sorry for Bob, so good job connecting me with him there.

Just an over all critique would be find other ways to imply Bob, I didn't like saying his name so much...but that's just me; makes me think of sheep.