Thread: “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”(O. Wilde)

Post “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”(O. Wilde)

This is a short essay based of Wilde's quotation hope you fine it interesting.
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”(Oscar wilde)
    Nowadays people kill themselves to eke out a living, improve their living conditions or keep their high standard of living, but they forget to live. A Scottish proverb says; "be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead." In fact, people don’t live, but they survive each day, for they are too busy, too tired, too stressed and too worried to really enjoy the pleasures of life. Everyone says; “time flies.” Thus, hours become days and days become years and years become a wasted precious life, and what for? Of course, for a better living.
    It’s believed that to be successful in life and improve your conditions you have to work hard and never stop, because if you stop, another person will come and take your place. Besides, as the present society demands a lot of effort to survive and keep a decent living, pleasures are the first thing to be put off when wanting to achieve any goal. However, if you postpone your enjoyment until you have time, money and/or proper conditions arrive that time may never come or come too late and your priceless life will be wasted.
    The strains of modern life force people to live in such a hurry that they don’t even have time to enjoy the beautiful world we live in. People forget to take delight of the bonny things nature provides us. It costs no money and takes almost no time. "This world, after all our science and sciences, is still a miracle; wonderful, magical and more, to whosoever will think of it." - Thomas Carlyle.
    Being ambitious, human beings always want more than what they actually need or would really enjoy like a collector. People accumulate things for others to enjoy them, for they value their lives by the things they possess, which is a quite sad way of appreciating life since they’ll never be satisfied. “The true perfection of man lies not in what man has, but in what man is.” Oscar Wilde.
    If people at bedtime review of the day ask themselves how much they delight the day, they’ll probably conclude that they miss another chance of feeling alive. Responsibilities are absolutely necessary as well as a job and material things, but life goes beyond that. How many people at their deathbed regret for not taking the opportunities they had to live, to have adventures and experiences? There is nothing better than to look back your past and be able to say; “I lived and lived very well. I made mistakes and I learned from them.”
    Additionally, there is the other group of people who have all the time of the world to have a life, but they prefer to mind other’s business. Gossip people’s lives are so empty, so tasteless, and so dead that they just exist and, what is worse, they don’t know how to live.
    In conclusion, our time is not eternal. Each second, minute, hour, day we waste is gone forever. To overwork for something you won’t enjoy is as silly as having the opportunity to live but to prefer to exist in order to talk about the ones who do live. Once we value more what we are than what we have, maybe our goals would change and feel what to be alive means. Thus, after feeling really alive, our life will be neither empty nor wasted but full of precious experiences.

Blog Entries
    A lovely essay penned by a clear lover of life.
    Loving life in a positive way is important too, I believe, because otherwise regret can encompass the lives that we want to live.

I agreed with your essay all the way up until the point where you took off the gloves, so to speak, and started bashing gossipers. If anything, Wilde was a gossiper of sorts himself. One of plays has a quote that rings so true "My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's" from Lady Windermere's Fan.
    I agree people need to be themselves. Live life to the fullest. Of course, when someone quotes the line "live life to the fullest" they must not imply good, honest, or respectable things.
    The only life worth living. it's hard to imagine. "Pleasure is the only thing to live for. Nothing ages like happiness" -Oscar Wilde. And yet again "To be alert is to live; to be lulled into security is to die"
    Wilde would never have stuck to the "good" side of the fence. No rules and regulations. No constricting barriers to stop him from finding life in every corner of existence.
    Gossipers have fun gossiping. People hate gossipers, for reasons I can understand, but have no time to think about. They are living their life, and having fun.
    If one does something that another becomes emotionally unstable about, the former must be living life. The latter worrying too much about it. Just my opinion.
    All in all, good essay!

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    A lovely essay penned by a clear lover of life.
    Loving life in a positive way is important too, I believe, because otherwise regret can encompass the lives that we want to live.
    One learns too late that the only thing they do not regret is their mistakes.

Shirley
    Enjoyed your essay Regina…well put. As far as Peepfoot’s comments are concerned I have only this to say…there is gossip and then there is scandalmongering! Maybe Regina should have used the latter expression to make herself clearly understood. Unfortunately there are those who thrive on making mountains out of molehills and adding their own malicious twist to a story. These people are easy to pick out for they have no intellectual conversation whatsoever. In my long reign on this planet, I have had the misfortune to come into contact with many of this ilk. Personally I find them devoid of life, existing solely off the lives of others like vampires.

Just as there is no smoke without fire...there is no fire without ignition…. Georges Feydeau (1862 - 1921) French dramatist.