Thread: Your favourite boy

Post Your favourite boy

I just wanted to know which boy you liked the most in this book. One of my favourites is Steve... and maybe Archie Give reasons for your choice

BloomingRose

Blog Entries
    I love Charlie because I just can't help it - who can? (Women do love bad boys, right? A reason Rose's example is so good for us!)

I love Jaimie because he's Jaimie. Really, what can beat chap. 17, "Among the Haycocks" with both him and Mac in it?

And I love Mac for two reasons. 1. He is one of the most interesting, original heroes in all fiction. And 2. although he is a man with faults, he still embodies what women ought to look for in a husband - honesty, compassion, sense, strength of mind, character and body, and a host of other good qualities. Ok, so Mac is my very favorite, because he is is a true man!
    And I do respect the kind of doctor Mac would become. That is, the Dr. Alec kind - not one who prescribes drugs, but one whose prescriptions are rational lifestyle changes. (If you haven't already, read everything about Dr. Alec's methods in "Eight Cousins" - they still work today!)
    I also love Mac for the poetry aspect. For a lover of poetry, what is better than someone who can recite the best by the hour??

And then, to use a wonderful old-fashioned term, Mac is wonderfully droll. You know, he's my hero!

So, why not tell us why Steve and Archie are favs. for you??
    I'd love to discuss this wonderful book!
    Last edited by L.M. The Third; 02-28-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Why I chose those characters :)

Thanks for telling me who your favourite characters were
    Even though I haven't finished the book yet, I chose Steve and Archie. Steve because his character is very 'modern' and he could be a fashionable boy from the 2009 XD He's very charming and I think any girl would love to be his girlfriend haha!
    And I chose Archie because he's the most caring, educated and gentleman boy in the book. There's no way you wouldn't love to have him as your cousin... or even as a brother! I really like him..
    So, that's why I chose those two
    See you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BloomingRose View Post
    He's very charming and I think any girl would love to be his girlfriend haha!
    !
    Not this girl! I have the Alcott-horror of a "dandy".
    So, what chap. are you on?
    I'd love to hear what you think when you reach the end!

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. The Third View Post
    Not this girl! I have the Alcott-horror of a "dandy".
    So, what chap. are you on?
    I'd love to hear what you think when you reach the end!
    Hehe... Well, it's been weeks since I read a chapter of the book! I'm about to start chapter 14th so i still have half of the book ahead XD I can't wait to reach the end!!

Mac is my favourite. I agree with him being very "droll" (I love that word, but everyone looks at me like i'm mad if I say it).

His ability to resite poetry is something I consider very charming. He has a natural beauty, not made by looks or false pretenses, but by honesty and a natural good nature.

I am sad that boys don't read this, and realise that he is the kind of model they should look up to.

He's my hero from any book i've ever read!

I love his poetry writing, how at first he was shy to admit to Rose that he does write.

As a character I think he grows throughout the two books more than any other. With the other boys, you can see where they might go, how they will act as adults, whereas with Mac, as a reader in eight cousins I really wasn't sure.

I'm so glad Rose in bloom focused on him a lot, he is a truly beautiful character of mind and spirrit...ok this is going on quite a lot.

I like all the other boys, accept maybe Charlie. I don't dislike him, but the influence other people had over him frustrates me. He could have been good with the right guidance.

My favourite part of rose in bloom relating to the boys is Steve trying to teach Mac to dance, that's a clasic!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=HollyLS;707650]

I am sad that boys don't read this, and realise that he is the kind of model they should look up to.

He's my hero from any book i've ever read!

As a character I think he grows throughout the two books more than any other. With the other boys, you can see where they might go, how they will act as adults, whereas with Mac, as a reader in eight cousins I really wasn't sure.

I'm so glad Rose in bloom focused on him a lot, he is a truly beautiful character of mind and spirrit...ok this is going on quite a lot.
    QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, HollyLS!
    By the way I made a post in the 'Rose in Bloom' forum on favorite chapters, but no one's posted.

Ah, i'm glad you feel the same. I'll go look at the topic you posted also, could be great fun talking about chapters.

Thanks for your opinion!
    I haven't finished the book yet :/ not that i'm in college now, so i don't know how it ends. So far, I believe Mac is a very charming guy...who's got his own personal charm, very unique and lovely. I'm not sure if he's my favourite but he's very agreeable

Mac is my favorite. He was my favorite in the prequel "Eight Cousins" as well. Like Rose, I could see that there was much more to Mac than his appearances and oddities would lead one to believe. He is original, intelligent, honest, curious, and kind. I do not believe I can truly explain the reason that the character of Mac draws me in so much. I think part of the reason is because his character is so dynamic and so beautifully developed. I can see the boy becoming the man. His wonderful and peculiar ways are interesting and attractive to me. I like how Mac has all such sweet ideas about what it means to be a lover before he even becomes one.
    I also like Archie. He has a quiet strength that is very noble and sweet.
    Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind. ~~C.S. Lewis

Mac and Archie

It is really hard to choose which cousin is my favourite as they all have individual quirks and charactaristics which makes them so fun to get to know. I love Jamie because he is the typical little boy of the family; so sweet and so cute!! Will and Geordie, Steve and Charlie also make their mark, although it's not a very good one sometimes.

However, the two that stand out to me the most are Mac and Archie. eyes_of_blue's descriptions of these two characters hit it right on the head. Mac is the sweet, self-effacing, always in the background book-worm who morphs into the slightly more opinionated, self-confident man he becomes in Rose in Bloom.

On the other hand, Archie is the archetypal big brother figure who is steady of character and thoughful and considerate in nature towards others. While facing his own set of temptations, he eventually falls in love with Pheobe, who mercifully returns his affections. If only it were me

Question Mac

I liked Charlie, because his ironic way, even young. I didn't and don't care the fact that he was the most beautiful among the cousins, but I liked the way that he treated Rose on "Eight Cousins", when he was very kind, sweet and trying to hide his feelings beyond her, including the fact that he said that wanted Rose as your baby sister. I swear that I was hoping that this couple were be formed.
    How I get surprise when I entered on Wikipedia and saw that she was married with Mac... I cannot remember (I was reading the book on the first time after my childhood)... Who the hell was Mac? But on Eight Cousins, he was the "nerd" of the team. And when Rose takes care of him - because his eyes are ill, I started to see the little grain of love that was growing up. How a problematic boy will be transformed in a so interesting man in second book?
    When I read Rose in Bloom, yesterday, I saw that. I really laughed on the part that he lets Rose alone on the party to talk with a teacher about Science. Poor Rosie...
    I feel sad for Charlie... Alcott could be better with his character. He become a spoiled man, without direction, sarcastic, but unable and unintelligent. I wonder if he really loved Rose, or her money. Of course the drinks make him an uncontrolled alcoholic man, but Louisa could be better with him.

I feel sorry that it hasn't a little kiss at least between Mac and Rose. They formed a beautiful couple, and this is WONDERFULL.

Mac is my favorite one, because his inteligence, kindness, sweetness... and beyond that, his discretion on his feelings towards Rose.