View Poll Results: The Man of Steel, or the Dark Knight???

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman aka Clark Kent aka Kal-El aka The Man of Steel etc.

52 26.13%
  • Batman aka Bruce Wayne aka The Dark Knight

147 73.87%
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman or Batman Poll

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley

Superman or Batman Poll

Ok, some of you are thinking "what??? This is a LITERATURE forum. We have no room for comic-strip super heroes here!" Well, to you I say "Cursed be he (or she) that thinks graphic novels arn't literature!" And also "Bite my bag, you!" So on to the debate!

The Dark Knight takes it for me. He has a sinister dark side which makes him more realistic as a person, and more scary to villianous criminals who lurk in Gotham's deapths. Also he is but a man, while Supe's is an alien from Krypton who has natural super powers, the big Cheater! Does anyone remember when Superman and Batman fought and Batman won? That was frickity-wicked sweet. Go Batz!

However, Superman is intreguing for all the reasons that Bill Rattles off in 'Kill Bill, Vol. 2'. In case you havn't seen Vol. 2,... WHAT?!?!? You havn't seen Vol. 2?!?!?! Stop reading this useless waste of internet bandwidth and go watch Vol. 2 right now!!!
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    For me, it's always been Superman. Simply because he simply IS super. He did not acquire his powers as a result of an accident by luck (or tough luck?) or he does not need the technology and gadgets to make him 'super'. If you take away Batman's mask and toys away, he will be just another man. Pffttt!

PS: I haven't seen Batman vs Superman. 'Batman won' says you? What an outrage! I bet it was a publicity stunt by the Batman team!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I'd have to go with Batman, like kik said he has a darker side, he's mysterious. Superman is too good, a goody-two-shoes even. Plus Batman has a more intriguing costume...
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Since childhood I have always adored both, but thought more highly of Batman. True, Superman has some astounding super-powers, similar to Spiderman, Wonderwoman, Flash, etc., but Batman defeats his enemies with his cunning genius of inventing these cool gadgets, and, like Superman, still manages to hide his real identity.

Superman, I find his character to be more interesting. He has a far more mysterious past. He is also a prime example of what is wrong in society through his true costume "Clark Kent".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK, this is about comparing characters. IMO (as far as I know) Superman uses less supporting equipments to support his actions. Batman has those stuffs (mobile, special weapons, etc). So IMO (again) Superman has better quality as a hero than Batman.

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Batman has to work his butt off in order to be super. Not so with the alian from Krypton. I vote for the local working stiff everytime, because he is the 'real' hero.

Batman.
    He is a superhero without actual super powers; sure he has money, technology, and extraordinary physical and mental characters, but no super powers.

He is constantly balancing on the edge between "good" and "evil", if he had to do something illegal, or brutal to dispose of one of his enemies he would do it. He is a more complex character…

Also the twisted opponents he has, the surreal Gotham and the dark atmosphere, seem both more fantastic and more realistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RyuKid
    Superman, I find his character to be more interesting. He has a far more mysterious past. He is also a prime example of what is wrong in society through his true costume "Clark Kent".
    HEAR, HEAR!!!
    ~
    ~

Batman.

Superman was born into greatness - with his powers, he would either be protector or ruler of Earth. Batman, on the other hand, could probably have been much easier corrupted than turned do-gooder by having nothing but a fortune and a haunting past, yet he overcomes this to try to make the world a better place.

Plus Batman's costume has gotten a lot better since the 60s or 70s or whenever. Whenever I've seen it, Superman's has always still been prancy tights and a cape, bright-*** blue and red. Get with the times! At least pretend you have some need for subtlety.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDog
    Batman.
    He is a superhero without actual super powers; sure he has money, technology, and extraordinary physical and mental characters, but no super powers.

He is constantly balancing on the edge between "good" and "evil", if he had to do something illegal, or brutal to dispose of one of his enemies he would do it. He is a more complex character…

Also the twisted opponents he has, the surreal Gotham and the dark atmosphere, seem both more fantastic and more realistic to me.

I totally agree, he wasn't bit by a spider or is from another planet or something like that. He worked for his 'powers' and his money and the technology is what keeps him in the fight.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Batman, all the way, by far.
    Curious people might want to check out The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller, for a glance at one of their fights. And guess who wins?
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Scherazade
    HEAR, HEAR!!!
    I am wondering if it is more correct to say "Here, Here!!!" analogous to "There, there" (as opposed to "Their, Their")

But, if I am in error, you may justifiably rebuke me with a stern, "Now! Now!"

Well, someone who knows far more than I do has just informed me that it is indeed, "Hear Hear" ... which looks so peculiar to me in print. I have only heard the expression said on television.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhear.html

The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

And, of course, we must never miss an opportunity to be Biblical:

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/inde...?date=19980304

"Then cried a wise woman out of the city, Hear, hear" (King James Bible, 2 Samuel xx 16).
    Last edited by Sitaram; 03-08-2005 at 05:11 PM.

OK, to prevent further confusion:

"Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Quote Originally Posted by RyuKid
    ~
    ~

C'mon, mysterious past????? He came in an alien spaceship, which is a very common origin for superheroes, and I can give you a list of those if you're interested. Batman is an unique character, Superman is not, there are lots of chracaters very similar to him (both powers and character wise).
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast