Thread: Odyssey Film Adaptation?

Odyssey Film Adaptation?

Hello, all. I'm new here, but am searching for a specific film adaptation of The Odyssey.

Our 9th grade curriculum includes the Odyssey, and I have plenty of material, except I would love to add the following to my collection . . .

I have the 1997 Hallmark made-for-TV adaptation, as well as the 1954 Ulysses film (and a handful of songs, poems, a modern "bard" telling the story on DVD, etc.). However, I came across the following clip on YouTube and cannot, for the life of me, figure out where it has been excerpted from. I don't think it's from the '54 version (I watched it all, and didn't see it, unless it was excerpted, but I don't think it's the same man as Telemachus). The individual who posted it said it was pulled from an entry in the Encyclopedia Brittanica. The link to the YouTube clip is below. Can anyone help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0dIH0iNOqo
    [Or, just search for "Telemachus Nestor" on YouTube.]

I apologize that my first post is an attempt to enlist aid, but I am running into dead-ends in my searches.

Thank you!

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Hi QuestingScholar,
    I'm stumped too. I'd guess that it was the 1997 Armand Assante one, but since you have it....

Here's a list of the most famous adaptations made: http://www.shmoop.com/best-of-the-we...e-odyssey.html

If that doesn't help, here's a list of all the films that have a character named "ulysses" or "odysseus" in it: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004248/

I'm sure you could do the same search for "nestor" of "telemachus"

Wilde Woman--It is not the Assante film. I have used imdb, searching for Telemachus, Nestor, Odysseus, and Ulysses, but could find nothing that seems to match. The film does not even seem to be dubbed/translated.

Thanks for the other link, but no go.

I don't know why there would be such an elusive movie. The clip looks real enough to me, as if it were drawn from a whole film.

Thanks again, Wilde Woman--perhaps someone else recognizes it???

Quote Originally Posted by QuestingScholar View Post
    Hello, all. I'm new here, but am searching for a specific film adaptation of The Odyssey.

Our 9th grade curriculum includes the Odyssey, and I have plenty of material, except I would love to add the following to my collection . . .

I have the 1997 Hallmark made-for-TV adaptation, as well as the 1954 Ulysses film (and a handful of songs, poems, a modern "bard" telling the story on DVD, etc.). However, I came across the following clip on YouTube and cannot, for the life of me, figure out where it has been excerpted from. I don't think it's from the '54 version (I watched it all, and didn't see it, unless it was excerpted, but I don't think it's the same man as Telemachus). The individual who posted it said it was pulled from an entry in the Encyclopedia Brittanica. The link to the YouTube clip is below. Can anyone help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0dIH0iNOqo
    [Or, just search for "Telemachus Nestor" on YouTube.]

I apologize that my first post is an attempt to enlist aid, but I am running into dead-ends in my searches.

Thank you!
    I have checked through my reference books regarding your youtube link and also cannot find any reference to it.
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 01-29-2009 at 03:17 PM.

I apologize for bumping this thread back up, but I thought I'd make it visible one more time if anyone could provide any title to the movie.

Also, on a related note, Brad Pitt is reportedly working on a science-fiction adaptation of The Odyssey . . .