I am new to this thread but I realize that this topic really isnt...
But I wanted to tweak it up a bit.

I want you to name your three of your favorite authors, and list a favorite work. And I would also like to know what 3 of your least favorite authors are.

I would also prefer that ALL of these authors be of some literary merit as well. I dont think its fair to rant and rave about how much you love Dickens, and then fall through to say that you loathed The DaVinci Code. There is no comparison between the two. Also, you cant compare All the Pretty Horses to the Twilight and Harry Potter series. ITS UNFAIR! (For real, as a child I loved Harry Potter...because it is CHILDREN'S LITERATURE!! And i still love it!...never read Twilight though..) Just try to stay consistent...

I will start!

Top Three Authors:
1. DH Lawrence- racy, but I love his style "Sons and Lovers", "Lady Chatterly's Lover"
2.Graham Greene- Love his short stories. "Our Man in Havana" was great too.
3. Jefferey Eugienides- solid stuff. "Middlesex" trumped "The Virgins Suicides" by a landside though...in my humble opinion.

Bottom Three Authors:
1. Dickens- I know, I know. But come on, the man was a serial writer...and got paid a half penny for every word...bloody man put as many words in there as he could. But you know not only can I respect someone who loves his writing, I admire your patience!
2. J. D. Salinger- simply not my style. I can see why its a classic, but the "Catcher in the Rye" just was not my cup of tea.
3. Ralph Ellison- "Invisible Man" was rough. I know people that would kill me for saying that...but once again, not my kind of American novel. I will say though that in a few years I want to revist him again...but im talking like 15 to 20...