Thread: Has anyone read THIRTEEN YEARS AT THE RUSSIAN COURT by Pierre Gilliard?

Has anyone read THIRTEEN YEARS AT THE RUSSIAN COURT by Pierre Gilliard?

It's a non-fiction book about the Romanovs, written by the children's own tutor, Pierre Gilliard. I was wondering if anybody has read this, and would you recommend it?

I'm very interested in the Romanovs, and other historical figures or events, but as for the last Imperial family of Russia I'd like to read a non-fiction account. Novels tend to romanticize them.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TheOutlander; 01-18-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlander View Post
    It's a non-fiction book about the Romanovs, written by the children's own tutor, Pierre Gilliard. I was wondering if anybody has read this, and would you recommend it?

I'm very interested in the Romanovs, and other historical figures or events, but as for the last Imperial family of Russia I'd like to read a non-fiction account. Novels tend to romanticize them.

Thanks in advance.
    I'd like to know how the tutor portrays Grigori Rasputin since everything I've read about him seems to be negative. Well it's not like he was full of sunshine and roses.
    expectabam bona et venerunt mihi mala praestolabar lucem et eruperunt tenebrae - Job 30:26

Yes, I just finished reading Glliard's book. It is a very compelling first hand account fo his experiences at the Russian Court. He gives a brief description of his one meeting with Rasputin. Many interesting accounts of his various experiences with The Romanovs. I got the book through an inter-library loan. Have you read 'Nicholas and Alexandra'? A first class historical biography by R. K. Massie.