Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: On Goodbyes

biting writer

On Goodbyes

I have been online since 1997, and I have learned that, when you want to leave a virtual community, it is wiser just to go, as grandstanding may lead to future embarrassment, but I just wanted to let some of you who have been friendly with me know that I find it's time to move on.

As it has been mentioned by others, fundamentalists are given fairly wide latitude to pretty much preach as they please in the Religious Texts and Philosophical Literature sub-forums--which is fine, except that as far as I know, this is an online literature site, not the International Right-Wingers Society, unless the Administrator is my former editor from Lansing engaged in some sort of implausible conspiracy of the kind lapped up by the studio system.

As a non-believer and a disabled writer, I too have been given wide latitude of argument, but I generally find it counter-productive both to repress my inner troll and simultaneously wonder what the hell I am doing back in junior high school, so, time for me to really go rub shoulders with the really published set, and to find literary groups that have the wisdom not to provoke food fights. (Waves at my empathy-attached members; you know who you are.)

Bye, and thanks for the experience,
    Joanne
    Last edited by Jozanny; 01-12-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: always the its stumble

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh Jozy, do you have to go? I understand what you mean, but it's been really nice having you around. I tend to stay out of the religious threads for the exact reason you've mentioned, and yes, sometimes it seems less literature and more gutter press but there are serious and literary discussions to be had (just stay out of General Literature, Religious texts, Philosophical texts, General Writing, and General Chat ) with those who come here for a love of literature.

I sympathise with your decision, but I, for one, will miss having you around.

All the best, Fifth.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Jozanny, you have so much to contribute. I hate to see you go. Maybe you could just stay out of the religious section. It works for me!

I hope you'll stay, Jozanny, as we don't have enough talented writers like you to lose any of them. Just ignore what you don't like and please contribute something every now and then.

Blog Entries
    Sorry you're going.

But never fear lima jean is here!
    BAAHHAHAHAHAHA

Blog Entries
    Jozy, you know I consider you a friend. I hope you reconsider. I'll miss you.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Atleast keep your account?

Blog Entries
    I agree Joanne don't leave us.

Blog Entries
    Jo, if those two forums bug you that much stay out of them like most other people do for those very reasons. there is so much more here on litnet than letting two fora irk you.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

You could just ignore those sub forums?

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    You could just ignore those sub forums?
    I see many members asking this question, and the only answer I can give is, that whatever positive attributes this community has, how it is administered seems to foster intolerance as opposed to acceptance of pluralism, and my conscience is too troubled by this observation. I do not mean that evangelicals and their eastern counterparts do not have the right to their beliefs, and even the right to express them--but I see too much sermonizing, which leads, as I said, to intolerance.

If changes are made which address this, then I'd reconsider.

Take care, the majority of you are a great group, and if it is coming from a cynic like me, you know it means something.

I arrive much too late, apparently, to add my regrets that you are leaving. I understand your feeling, even though I find that on other forums that I know it is the atheists who have free sway to bash. In either case the principle is the same. I've learned to ignore the prevailing tide and stick to my topics of interest.
    In case you come back for a peek, maybe this one more post might tip the balance. I wish it would.
    I knew you too briefly.
    Sincerely
    Morden
    "I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita." -- Vladimir Nabokov