View Poll Results: "Yellow on the Outside, Shame on the Inside: Asian Culture Revealed": Final verdict

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

0 0%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

0 0%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

0 0%

Thread: Yellow on the Outside, Shame on the Inside: Asian Culture Revealed

Asian Culture Revealed scarlettpikachu's Avatar

Yellow on the Outside, Shame on the Inside: Asian Culture Revealed

A friend of mine sent me a free copy of this novel, Yellow on the Outside, Shame on the Inside: Asian Culture Revealed, and I must say that this is by far the best eBook that I've ever read. In fact, it's probably the best book that I've ever read (though Jane Eyre will always be on top). I rarely finish a book these days because of stupid homework but I finished this one in just one day. I even made my roommate pick up food for me because I didn't want to waste any time away from reading. LOL Anyway, this book is about the real truths in regards to Asian culture, truths unbeknownst to many, like why Asians are always getting high grades, why they can't drive (like me haha) Here's the synopsis below:
    =================
    Why do Asians really get straight A's? Why do Asians really become doctors and lawyers? Why do Asians really play the piano? Many people believe that the reason has to do with the pressure to perform and the pressure to conform, however, it goes much deeper than that—much, much deeper! This didactic novel reveals the truths about Asian culture, which will shock you to the marrow of your bones—and open a hidden world of long-guarded secrets.
    =================

hello everyone,

I pretty much summed up my review here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=40932 but I would like to make a formal review here.

Yellow On The Outside, Shame On The Inside: Asian Culture Revealed is a 50,000-word, didactic novel which reveals the truths about Asian culture, truths that will shock you and open a hidden world of long-guarded secrets, through the eyes of Johnson, an Asian American college student bred by his parents with an austere discipline to only achieve success–no matter what the cost!
    The setting takes place in the City of Irvine in California, the perfect breeding ground for the ostentatious lifestyle that many Asians seek. Johnson struggles with his identity as he lives his life trying the best that he can to compete with his younger sister Jordan. Throughout his journey, he exhorts many of the truths about Asian culture–Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.–and leaves the reader wondering: will he succeed or succomb to the pressures of his Asian culture?
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 01-11-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: url

Blog Entries
    thanks for posting your review. I just downloaded and look forward to reading it.

I don't know - how stereotypical is this? Though there are some elements in Canadian East-Asian writing, I don't think they are so overclichéd as this. In fact, East-Asian-Canadian literature takes a more nuanced approach in general, more dealing with community verses the outside, then with this sense of drear need to achieve success.

In truth, from the East-Asian people in my school, of which there are quite a few (a large percent of the student body, I would estimate around 15-20% conservatively, and around 50-60% in sciences, Compsci, and Engineering) many, though hard achievers, seem to be as sociable, and as nice people as any. I think books like this would rather give wrong impressions, and feed stereotypes, rather than create positive criticism.

Asian Culture Revealed scarlettpikachu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    I don't know - how stereotypical is this? Though there are some elements in Canadian East-Asian writing, I don't think they are so overclichéd as this. In fact, East-Asian-Canadian literature takes a more nuanced approach in general, more dealing with community verses the outside, then with this sense of drear need to achieve success.

In truth, from the East-Asian people in my school, of which there are quite a few (a large percent of the student body, I would estimate around 15-20% conservatively, and around 50-60% in sciences, Compsci, and Engineering) many, though hard achievers, seem to be as sociable, and as nice people as any. I think books like this would rather give wrong impressions, and feed stereotypes, rather than create positive criticism.
    I know what you mean. I had the same perspective before I started reading this book but when I got to the very end, I understood the author's message quite well. Basically, he explains why there are Asian stereotypes and why it's pervasive, rather than berating them. If you decide to read it, I think you will be in for a surprise. I'm Korean and I love it! It's not stereotypical as it is truthful, at least in my opinion.