Thread: Mao and 1984

Idle Toerag

Mao and 1984

Has anyone noticed the striking similarities between the party in 1984 and Mao's china? Some people have commented on this, but I think the subject deserves its own thread.
    The remarkable aspect of this is that 1984 was written first!
    Here are some similarities, taken from my sketchy memories of the sycophantic biography 'Mao the peoples emperor' and more recent Wild Swans by Jung Chang:

People may not speak out about the party, or will be denounced.

Outer party members are treated more harshly/controlled than the peasant class.

Party members are not permitted feelings for each other.

Children are brought up as spies and encouraged to tell tales on their parents.

There are many more, including the big posters of the man himself in both cases

Quote Originally Posted by Richier View Post
    Has anyone noticed the striking similarities between the party in 1984 and Mao's china? Some people have commented on this, but I think the subject deserves its own thread.
    The remarkable aspect of this is that 1984 was written first!
    Here are some similarities, taken from my sketchy memories of the sycophantic biography 'Mao the peoples emperor' and more recent Wild Swans by Jung Chang:
    I think you'll find it's just because all totalitarian regimes share those common tendencies.

USSR
    China
    North Korea
    Vietnam
    Cambodia of Pol Pot....

The list of countries which act in accordance with 1984 is quite extensive, so there's no trick in China conforming to it.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Idle Toerag
    I've never seen any evidence of these 3 outside of PRChina:

Outer party members are treated more harshly/controlled than the peasant class.
    Party members are not permitted feelings for each other.
    Children are brought up as spies and encouraged to tell tales on their parents.

In post-1975 Vietnam for instance, party sympathisers are given favours and have privilege far beyond the ordinary worker. Vietnam seems to follow the Animal farm structure (replace the old middle class with the revolutionary leadership + similar consequences to the book)

The regime in Mao's China is quite similar to the one in 1984 and Animal Farm, especially in the way the government controlls its people's thoughts and beliefs, makes Mao someone like the Big Brother, regards pursuing worldly pleasures as inclination to Capitalism and betrayal of the nation, fakes the statistics of various production etc. There're a couple of differences:

Members of Thought Police is not a secret but known to all;
    They don't force you to love Mao, just directly stone or shoot thought criminals to death. And criminals' children and relatives may be despised and bullied by others.
    Love relationships were encouraged as well as newborns.

I think the leaders from countries listed above must have read 1984 or Animal Farm and consider the regime as a perfect one to maintain their absolute power forever. XD

Blog Entries
    What really creeped me out about Mao was when he'd encourage criticism of government, and then when such criticism was made, they were killed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho-1960 View Post
    The regime in Mao's China is quite similar to the one in 1984 and Animal Farm...

I think the leaders from countries listed above must have read 1984 or Animal Farm and consider the regime as a perfect one to maintain their absolute power forever. XD
    Animal farm concerns especially and only USSR but similarities between regimes makes it appliable on others regimes.
    1984-that's a different story.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM