Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting to know people here...

Blog Entries

Getting to know people here...

sure does take awhile

Yeah.

So what is a kiwi doing in Aussie-land? Studies? Work? Or an obsessive love for vegemite-sandwiches?
    Always do that, wild ducks do. They shoot to the bottom as deep as they can get, sir — and bite themselves fast in the tangle and seaweed — and all the devil's own mess that grows down there. And they never come up again. - The Wild Duck, Henrik Ibsen.

Blog Entries
    Moved there when i was 13 actually, really love it there.

And i can get my supply of vegemite from New Zealand - so no, not the vegemite..
    though it is yummy...

hmm
    have you travelled much?

I for one haven't travelled much; I've only gone as far south as Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, as far north as the Saint Lawrence River (the border between New York, where I live, and Canada), as far east as New York City, and as far west as Buffalo, New York (perhaps?). Okay, I've been to Canada before, but that was ages ago.

(I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I figured I'd answer it anyway in the hope of getting to know one another. )
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    Well I may as well join in. I have travelled a little I have been to Africa, Japan and New Zealand.

Is there anything better than Vegie on toast with butter - I think not.

Blog Entries
    No, no, please, do join in.

I've travelled to most of asia, apart from japan, fiji, raratonga, spain, italy - quite a few places there, france, America and Morocco

New York, Dori! ahh yes, i'm going there in june. And when i finish up school, i'm taking 3 months off and going to stay with a family friend in Brooklyn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    No, no, please, do join in.

I've travelled to most of asia, apart from japan, fiji, raratonga, spain, italy - quite a few places there, france, America and Morocco
    Wow that is great. Which place did you love the most? and which one surprised you the most?

I love to travel but I love to get home to I am weird that way.

Blog Entries
    I loved.. New York and Paris the most.

Paris surprised me the most. I had this image of cobblestoned streets and little alleyways - but when I got there i was surprised at how open, wide and quite flat it all was. Paris was absolutely amazing.

Morocco was a massive, massive culture shock. I road tripped to three places while I was there.

My class is going to New York City for our senior trip, and the Art Club, of which I am the vice president, might be going on a separate trip there this spring as well. If I go on both, it will be my second and third time going which is great! I live in rural, upstate New York (about a 6hour drive west from NYC), by the way, so being in NYC is drastically different than what I'm used to. I just love the energy of that city (and all the museums!).

Wow, limajean, you've travelled quite a lot...I'm jealous. My travels have been quite limited, unfortunately, and unless I somehow miraculously make a lot of money in the future, I'm afraid they'll stay limited. Though, I might, just maybe, take a trip down to Uruguay. Believe it or not, my grandpa bought a house down there, meaning I have a place to stay!

And Joreads, I also like returning home, especially after long absences.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    Yeah i have travelled a lot - got some insane stories along the way.

When i was in morocco my family and I bought these little lizards, the ones that change colour you know? i've forgotten their name but they were so cute - drove them out near the desert, well, away from the city, and released them, they were pretty cool

Yeah i have travelled a lot - got some insane stories along the way.

When i was in morocco my family and I bought these little lizards, the ones that change colour you know? i've forgotten their name but they were so cute - drove them out near the desert, well, away from the city, and released them, they were pretty cool
    Chameleons?

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    THEM! yes,

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    ... Limajean? Lima Jean? Jean Lima? ... Moved to Australia? Where from?

I'm a Carioca (that is, born in Rio de Janeiro), but my father's from Bahia (another state), and my mother from Minas Gerais (yet another state). They met in Rio, got married a year later, I was born four after the marriage.

When I was 5, they moved to Salvador (Bahia). Then we came back to Rio, when I was 6. When I was 9, we moved to Belo Horizonte (Minas Gerais). We were back when I was about to turn 11. We moved to Portugal, when I was 13. 15, we were back in Rio. I was 22, they moved to Belo Horizonte again. that time, I stayed, because I could manage it, already.

Except to Portugal (Oporto), all the other cities are in Brasil
    I'll give the translation of the cities' and states' names of this beautiful but tough Portuguese America:

Rio de Janeiro, "January river"
    Minas Gerais, "general (Royal) mines"
    Belo Horizonte, "beautiful horizon"
    Bahia, "bay", in an ancient spelling; in modern Portuguese, it's baía
    Salvador, "saviour"
    Oporto, original name is Porto, which means "harbour", or "haven"

I travelled a bit, from 5 to 15. No more!, thanks. At least, not to live abroad! I love my hometown and birthplace.

Libri~

Blog Entries
    Limajean because i was thinking of Limabeans when I was creating a username.
    My blog explains it all,

Brasil hey?
    I've only known one other person from there

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    Brasil hey?
    I've only known one other person from there
    Rare thing! There's Brasilian folkes all around! Like a plague in the world!

Libri~

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast